Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Book: The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing..  (Read 3758 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants

Samuel Thayer

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0976626608/yourownworldusa

The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants

I have a few books on edible plants, and this one stood out,(tho lacking in a complete list of plants) until I read the second book by the same author. The second one adds more plants making a more complete and useful knowledge base.
Both deal with identifying plants, harvesting, preparation, storing and using plants and more.
The author isn't just listing plants known to be edible, but has used and harvested plants for himself.
Forager's Harvest isn't great for the pacific area of the US, but is great for East of the Rockies... ICON

[The second book ]

Nature's Garden: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
By Samuel Thayer

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0976626616/yourownworldusa
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:12:27 PM by Yowbarb »

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
Great book!!! and do a weekend now with fam scouting to see what grows naturally, and it never hurts to spread good plants around, i have spread raspberries all over my neck of the woods, and they keep growing and spreading, my father planted some apple trees a few decades ago up near the hunting camp him and his friends use and now they make cider... though none drink it.... too funny (not a cider crowd).

Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

noproblemo2

Hmmmmm, maybe they should make a "hard" cider to lift their spirits !!!   ;D ;D

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Great book!!! and do a weekend now with fam scouting to see what grows naturally, and it never hurts to spread good plants around, i have spread raspberries all over my neck of the woods, and they keep growing and spreading, my father planted some apple trees a few decades ago up near the hunting camp him and his friends use and now they make cider... though none drink it.... too funny (not a cider crowd).

That's awesome that you and your family do planting... One thing on my list of to dos is a steel container
half - buried with lots of seedlings and half - grown trees etc. and lots of seeds etc. and garden implements, supplies for the aftertimes...Not possible to know exactly what will happen but it would be good for everyone to start seedlings and sprouting all sorts of stuff... and store it safely...
Glad you will practice more foraging... we all have so much to learn...
All The Best,
Yowbarb

noproblemo2

So far have lots of seeds here add more everytime I go to the garden place. Seems I'm doing a lot of "adding mores" all the time now.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
So far have lots of seeds here add more everytime I go to the garden place. Seems I'm doing a lot of "adding mores" all the time now.

That's great...

Wulfnor

Does anyone know if there s there a book similar to this one.  But for the West coast and or Pacific N.W.?

Wisdom & Courage,
Marc

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
Does anyone know if there s there a book similar to this one.  But for the West coast and or Pacific N.W.?

Wisdom & Courage,
Marc

check out scout offices.. they teach kids and would appreciate the sales i bet.... most have literature for a local area...
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!