Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Heritage Seeds  (Read 3661 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Heritage Seeds
« on: November 29, 2010, 12:31:23 PM »
Heritage Seeds

Starting-Seeds-Indoors  - Kindle Edition
ASIN: B0041IXRS4
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:18:49 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Heritage Seeds
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 12:45:10 PM »
Saving Seeds: The Gardener's Guide to Growing and Storing Vegetable and Flower Seeds
(A Down-to-Earth Gardening Book)
   [Paperback]
Amazon Prime
ISBN-10: 0882666347

Marc Rogers (Author)
(Author), Polly Alexander (Illustrator)
Publisher: Storey Publishing, LLC; Revised edition (January 3, 1991)
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available. 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:21:09 PM by Yowbarb »

augonit

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:07:43 AM »
I have found that yogurt cups make a good pot to start seeds in.  Just punch a couple tiny holes in the bottom and you'll have to cut the plastic to get the plant out, but it works real well.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 11:36:22 AM »
Is there a list of seed companies who truly only sell heirloom, non-GMO seeds?  Every time I think I find one, you have to be very careful, because not everything they sell is heirloom, even if they say they are.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 06:51:24 AM »
I have found that yogurt cups make a good pot to start seeds in.  Just punch a couple tiny holes in the bottom and you'll have to cut the plastic to get the plant out, but it works real well.
Like you, I found they work really well.  That was when my mom was here and eating yogurt daily.  But I continued to use and reuse them until they finally, one by one, disintegrated. 

But to get the plant out, I would carefully hold it with right hand, almost upside down, and while holding it with right hand and gently tapping lip or edge  against my left palm, I'd carefullly support the seedling with left hand/fingers, and with left fingers against the soil, usually the entire mass of soil/potting soil/plant would fall out in my left hand.   It wasn't a perfect operation, but usually would allow another season of use.

And for some of those plants that I allowed to get really too large for that little container, I could gently grasp the stem and while holding the entire thing sideways, could usually pull the entire soil and root mass including plant, out.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 07:04:10 AM »
Is there a list of seed companies who truly only sell heirloom, non-GMO seeds?  Every time I think I find one, you have to be very careful, because not everything they sell is heirloom, even if they say they are.
I'll get out my seed catalogs tonight, but in the meantime, there are some who I believe are in that category.  I personally refuse to buy or grow hybrids or GM crap, so none of my seed catalogs carry either.

Here are some of my favorites:
Seed Savers Exchange, Decorah, Iowa
Irish Eyes Garden Seeds  (or something similar such as Irish Eyes Vegetable Seeds)
Sandhill Seed Preservation Center
Baker Creek Seed Company (they actually test their corn for GM contamination and list that info. in their catalogs and presumably on seed packets)
Turtle Tree Seeds or Turtle Tree Seed Company
Native Seed Search (originally only crops grown by NativeAmericans in the desert SouthWest of U.S., but now includes broccoli, carrots, etc.)

Seed Savers Exchange is truly all about non-hybrid and non-GM seeds, as that is the very reason they formed.  IIRC, Irish Eyes is totally organic as well.  Sandhill Seed Preservation has many statements about the evils of GM.  Plus they sell an amazing variety of chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, etc.  I trust all of these companies, and will look very carefully at their catalogs tonight and report if I discover something I have stated wrong.

There are others to be sure, but these are some of my favorites.  Over the years, I have weeded out all seed catalogs that even offer hybrids.  And that eliminated the beautiful catalog of Schumway.  I loved their old-time sketchings of various vegetables, but their inclusion of F1 this and F1 that just turned me off totally.  Who wants to be dependent on some giant corp. for their seeds, which have never been proven to be superior to heirlooms, except by PR people?

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 03:22:20 PM »
How fortuitous that there is mention in the Feb/March 2016 Mother Earth News on page 13, of another seed outlet which has been caretaking thousands of valuable heirloom seed varieties.

The article discusses the Roughwood Seed Collection, which has been considered one of the treasures of North American horticulture.   It contains about 4,000 heirloom seed varieties, many of which don't exist in any other seed collections. 

In an effort to broaden access to these seeds, the caretakers of the collection--led by William Woys Weaver, author of Heirloom Vegetable Gardening, created a website to sell and showcase the varieties (www.RoughwoodSeeds.org).  Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (www.rareseeds.com) also sells some varieties from the Roughwood Seed Collection.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 02:17:52 PM »
Thanks for the info on the seed catalogs.  I get at least 30 every year and I thought I had saved the ones I wanted to order from, but for some reason all of the ones with heirloom, non-hybrid are no longer in my pile of catalogs.  The other day I was at the Co-Op because I learned they sell seeds much cheaper than the catalogs and I thought I'd save money.  She started to pour some corn onto the scale and I said hold on, that's been treated, (the corn was red, not yellow).  She said everything they get is treated chemically.  Why is it so hard to find healthy seeds anymore?!

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 04:11:19 PM »
Thanks for the info on the seed catalogs.  I get at least 30 every year and I thought I had saved the ones I wanted to order from, but for some reason all of the ones with heirloom, non-hybrid are no longer in my pile of catalogs.  The other day I was at the Co-Op because I learned they sell seeds much cheaper than the catalogs and I thought I'd save money.  She started to pour some corn onto the scale and I said hold on, that's been treated, (the corn was red, not yellow).  She said everything they get is treated chemically.  Why is it so hard to find healthy seeds anymore?!
Why is it so hard to find healthy seeds anymore?  I actually do believe it is part of "The Plan" for us to have poisoned food, seeds, clothing, air, water, land, etc. .  It goes much deeper than just a few corporations wanting to make more money by selling GM or hybrid seeds, and help other corporations make money by pre-treating those seeds with red-pink fungicide. 

As Marshal mentioned in his latest interview with the lady whose name is something like Arel, we are a slave species.  It is something that most people will have trouble digesting, but a small number of brave researchers have written about it, one being author Michael Tellinger, who wrote a fascinating book by the title Slave Species of the Gods.  Tellinger has done a tremendous amount of research before and after writing the book, and it makes so much sense when you look at the bigger picture.  Thankfully Marshall is reminding us of something we should ponder.

In fact, in spite of having read the book more than five years ago, when I read in Marshall's Being In It For The Species about that planet or planetoid that is part of the PX System, that is also home to a slave colony, it did not dawn on me that that's exactly what I believe we on Earth are! 

Sorry for the long-winded rant, but I felt your question tied in with something important Marshall brought up in that interview, which BTW, did not appear to register with the interviewer, in spite of her high level of awareness.

Back to the seed issue.  We must either buy from sources we trust or save our own seeds, assuming we do not live amidst a bunch of GM crops being grown nearby.  That's why hanging on to only the catalogs with no GM seeds and no hybrid seeds will help us weed out the seed sellers who might surreptitiously sneak in a GM variety without our knowledge.  Stranger things have happened.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 10:03:24 AM »
I'm wanting to save my own seeds, but I want to start off with a good stock.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 03:39:58 PM »
I'm wanting to save my own seeds, but I want to start off with a good stock.
Wise idea.  That's how I've been doing it too.  Some seeds I've saved for years, but only after getting a start, then working with them here. 

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!