Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: How Prepared Are You  (Read 2922 times)

noproblemo2

How Prepared Are You
« on: December 12, 2010, 06:03:07 PM »
So, just how prepared are you now if this should occur sooner rather than 2012, say by the end of this month ??? This is for food etc......

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
Re: How Prepared Are You
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 06:39:16 PM »
I voted other... as I'm not sure how long the various pantries i have access to would last, but luckily i can catch/ find more once we get "HOME" And I'm carrying an ex 80 lbs to tied me over same with wife!!!!
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Montanabarb

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 07:20:19 PM »
I thought I was really prepared.  Then my family came home for Thanksgiving.  These are wonderful, self-sufficient "live off the land" types. We had eighteen people, coming and going, over the space of a week.  Only four were children. During the process of bonding and harvesting three large white-tail bucks, these people consumed the following (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some of it:)

20 lb turkey, 12 lb ham, 15 lbs link sausage, 5 lb bacon, 108 eggs, 10 lb pancake mix, 15 lb potatoes, 10 lb lasagne, 20 lb. king crab, 5 lb buns, 4 lb bread, 10 lb fresh salad,  2 lb cranberries, 5 large pies and cheesecakes, 10 gallons coffee (3 lb ground,) 3 lb hot chocolate, 5 gallons juice, 3 gallons milk, misc. pickles, olives, jellies, jams, syrup, butter, etc. None was wasted, and I boiled and canned the turkey carcass and the ham bone for broth. 

How in the hell can anyone prepare for that kind of pressure on your stash?  Prepare to train your dependents to appreciate beans and rice!

This was a really scary wake-up call for me! Please, friends, buy a book on calorie counting and prepare to lock up and police your foods.  I remember a movie I saw about the Polish Warsaw ghetto, when the Nazis limited the Jews to 300 calories a day, while the German population could glean around 900 calories (still a starvation portion.)  In the after-world, rationing will become a fact of life!!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:48:50 PM by Montanabarb »

noproblemo2

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 07:29:07 PM »
20 lb turkey, 12 lb ham, 15 lbs link sausage, 5 lb bacon, 10 lb pancake mix, 15 lb potatoes, 10 lb lasagne, 20 lb. king crab, 5 lb buns, 4 lb bread, 10 lb fresh salad,  2 lb cranberries, 5 large pies and cheesecakes, 10 gallons coffee (3 lb ground,) 3 lb hot chocolate, 5 gallons juice, 3 gallons milk, misc. pickles, olives, jellies, jams, syrup, butter, etc. None was wasted, and I boiled and canned the turkey carcass and the ham bone for broth. 
How in the hell can anyone prepare for that kind of pressure on your stash?  Prepare to train your dependents to appreciate beans and rice!
This was a really scary wake-up call for me! Please, friends, buy a book on calorie counting and prepare to lock up and police your foods.  I remember a movie I saw about the Polish Warsaw ghetto, when the Nazis limited the Jews to 300 calories a day, while the German population could glean around 900 calories (still a starvation portion.)  In the after-world, rationing will become a fact of life!!
Very true Montanabarb I have already started limiting our calorie intake in preparation.

Montanabarb

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:39:38 PM »
BTW, only one adult and one child  of the group have weight issues.  These are just tall, athletic, robust people. My four sons and several grandsons are all well over 6 feet, and the women top 5 ft 7 in. YOu might say that in the After Time, everyone will become slim, but these folks are already there.

Carluccio_piattino

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 05:26:31 AM »
20 lb turkey, 12 lb ham, 15 lbs link sausage, 5 lb bacon, 10 lb pancake mix, 15 lb potatoes, 10 lb lasagne, 20 lb. king crab, 5 lb buns, 4 lb bread, 10 lb fresh salad,  2 lb cranberries, 5 large pies and cheesecakes, 10 gallons coffee (3 lb ground,) 3 lb hot chocolate, 5 gallons juice, 3 gallons milk, misc. pickles, olives, jellies, jams, syrup, butter, etc. None was wasted, and I boiled and canned the turkey carcass and the ham bone for broth. 
Very true Montanabarb I have already started limiting our calorie intake in preparation.

Montanabarb,

I would say that there was around 2500 to 3000 calories per person per day served by your food list. On the high side, except if dealing with athletes during training periods.
I think this is a lot of food for this amount of people and period even for my country standards that inherited abundance on the table from the Portuguese people. In the state I was born (couple of hundred miles from my present location) the dining table never get empty. There is always fresh coffee and juice and some biscuits or corn bread to deal with the whole day, besides normal meals. Perhaps the difference, is that we are used to beans and rice and these two are very important (always together, seldom alone) on our diet. These two are abundant in most countries and they satisfy the hungry and athletic ones, so that meat is almost secondary (not yet as would be desirable).

I lived in southern England for almost 2 years in the 90s. Often my wife and I were invited for dinner at some friend´s houses. They were normal middle and sometimes upper middle class folks. Most (owners) were born just prior of after end of World War II. They knew what lack of food meant for their lives in the past. Times changed, but the sense for exacting the amount of food needed per meal never left their mind. Only potatoes and some vegetables were allowed to be served twice or more. One piece (good one though) of meat each guest. You were never hungry after one of these meals but you always felt that you could eat again. Positive side was that, you could enjoy and savour much more of the coming dessert after main course. Even the small petit-four with coffee or tea were a delight.

In the aftertime we can easily survive on 1200 calories / day, including light work and 1800 calories for the ones doing hard work at temperate climates. These amounts vary somewhat for women and men.

I currently have a diet of 1800 calories approximately but I have to work out to keep my weight tamed. I sense I could deal with much less than that. But food is aplenty for now and is tempting....

Congrats for keeping the family united. This is of much more importance than the food issue ....

BR,

Carlos

noproblemo2

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 05:47:55 AM »
During a holiday get together we often (usually) eat way more than normally we would, so while this may seem a lot the memories these get togethers create is worth every single calorie in my book. People are often so busy with their lives they don't take the time for what used to be the Sunday dinner at Grandmas' house anymore that I remember from my childhood.

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 12:51:25 PM »
Well folks I get a different take on calories of today.... As long as your ingesting "clean" food and not getting too out of shape the best food storage is your body, i don't count calories, and I always have an appetite, yes i have some new belts and slacks but when I'm staving on 300 a day in gov camps, prison, or such I'll be glad for the fat! of course trick is to increase muscle use during conversion or the body will cannibalize muscle over fat! And of course if I'm free and safe in my homestead, then the fat will keep me as i rush there. I figure i could survive at lest 2 to 3 months on just water and leaves until i started to notice any truly ill effects. (leaves or dirt, i know it suxs but it's to keep digestive track working in the absence of food, a shirt could be made to last say a week if one was confined and alone, no nutrition value and it actually works against you in short term, but in the long run....

Take advantage of festive times not only for family and friends who will only be pictures (if saved) but to stock up the natural pantry :D As long as you can see all your parts, can wipe yourself, and run up three flights of stairs, you'll be ok as there will be plenty of time to ration when there is no choice!
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

noproblemo2

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 02:27:39 PM »
I for one feel we should enjoy what family times we have as many families are hundreds of miles apart and holidays are their only times together. The memories are priceless in the times ahead as are the memories of my departed family members of past.

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 03:28:34 PM »
Thats a big 10-4 ;D I think that this could be the last fully normal x-mas got plenty of plans...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:17:15 AM by Deathanyl »

noproblemo2

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 03:44:53 PM »
Thats a big 10-4 ;D I think that this could be the last fully normal x-mas bot plenty of plans...
VERY possible, could not agree more, so in that manner of thinking,

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL HERE !!!!!

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 03:35:09 PM »
Some generally accepted “rules” for prepping are actually myths

http://bugout.news/2018-07-05-some-generally-accepted-rules-for-prepping-are-actually-myths.html

As a prepper, one of the first lessons that you need to learn is how to be resilient. When SHTF, you need to be able to think on your feet. But before you attempt the rules of prepping, especially when the situation calls for it, you need to learn them first. (h/t to AskAPrepper.com.)

While they’re not set in stone, there are several rules that preppers adhere to. These rules help define the prepping community, but they can be restrictive, especially if you’re in a situation with a lot of gray areas.

Listed below are five of what people consider hard and fast rules of prepping that are, in reality, myths, and how you can benefit from doing things properly.

The bugout

This major part of prepping can allegedly help preppers stay safe during a survival situation. For most preppers, the bugout is a myth. The concept of the bugout is often oversimplified…

Max.
"Ignorance is Bliss" - (Agent Smith the first Matrix Movie)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 05:42:40 PM »
For most preppers, the bugout is a myth. The concept of the bugout is often oversimplified…

That topic alone deserves a whole discussion in itself.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 10:30:53 AM »
For most preppers, the bugout is a myth. The concept of the bugout is often oversimplified…

That topic alone deserves a whole discussion in itself.
One easy way to practice for bugging out is to go backpacking for a week.  That's right.  Plan to backpack for one week exactly, and be honest with yourself throughout the entire process. 

If you find you were/are unable to figure out what to take, how to pack, etc., for a one-week trip, after which you can return to full civilization with all the creature comforts, then you have revealed to yourself, you are seriously unprepared for a serious "outage" in which you may be required to "just up and leave".

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!