Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Underground real estate boom - Doomsday shelters  (Read 9132 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Underground real estate boom - Doomsday shelters
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 09:33:05 AM »
Yowbarb two ways I can think that might work have the door open inward you would have to be careful it will have a lot of pressure on it shallow water only, or have two doors in the exit tube large enough for all the people in the shelter open a small hole on the outer door let the pressure equalize you would need a spare air or a scuba tank once the pressure is equalized you could open the outer hatch and ascend exhaling as you go up you can damage your lungs going up only a few feet if you do not exhale. very few people would be able to set up a system like that that would work.

Hi Nathan not sure what I posted on it but I intended to have a door which opened outward. Would that help at all?
It does sound like some kind of impossibility...
?

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 10:28:20 AM »
It would have to flood to equalize it would be very complex plus you need S.C.U.B.A. gear etc. this is just a guess and not meant to trivialize anyone here. but I would suspect less then 5% of the people here would have both the skill and money to build a shelter that would be water tight solid and have a escape hatch under water setup that would not kill us let alone the time to build one. Maybe if we had years to go possibly. Just a thought if a person wanted to survive being flooded if your shelter was not anchored down it would be easier to make it float it should bob up after being flooded like a coffin during a flood just calculate the weight of the shelter and gear and occupants verses how much water it displaces the coffin reference was not meant to be morbid it is just most people have heard of that happening and it should happen to a shelter a few feet under ground as well, just a thought it would be a lot easier. It would still have to be water tight but doable. does anyone else have any thoughts on this. Yowbarb I would like to build the type of shelter you have been talking about but it is out of my reach for the 2012 timeline I would have fun building it, but if I hit the big lottery #'s soon I will call you then we can call some contractors and put them to work.
I hope some of us here have been working on that nice of a shelter.

VillageIdiot

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
...I hope some of us here have been working on that nice of a shelter...
Great ideas but I'm in the same boat as most people. Unfortunately, a shelter like the one Barb described is only available in my dreams. I'm relying on an abandoned mine or a cave in the nearby mountains for shelter, should the dong hit the fan as predicted. All spare $$$ has been invested in food, water, and other supplies.
Live long and prosper!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 11:57:49 AM »
It would have to flood to equalize it would be very complex plus you need S.C.U.B.A. gear etc. this is just a guess and not meant to trivialize anyone here. but I would suspect less then 5% of the people here would have both the skill and money to build a shelter that would be water tight solid and have a escape hatch under water setup that would not kill us let alone the time to build one. Maybe if we had years to go possibly. Just a thought if a person wanted to survive being flooded if your shelter was not anchored down it would be easier to make it float it should bob up after being flooded like a coffin during a flood just calculate the weight of the shelter and gear and occupants verses how much water it displaces the coffin reference was not meant to be morbid it is just most people have heard of that happening and it should happen to a shelter a few feet under ground as well, just a thought it would be a lot easier. It would still have to be water tight but doable. does anyone else have any thoughts on this. Yowbarb I would like to build the type of shelter you have been talking about but it is out of my reach for the 2012 timeline I would have fun building it, but if I hit the big lottery #'s soon I will call you then we can call some contractors and put them to work.
I hope some of us here have been working on that nice of a shelter.

Hi Nathan thanks for the imput  :) Well I did not win the lottery yet either, so there is just a slight chance I can pull off the land and a shelter. Something I invested in years ago if it pays out then we are talkin'. 
Not trying to be fancy schmancy just trying to toss around the logistics the physics of what would have to be build in case of flooding. Maybe it is not doable. I do plan to be at least 60 feet above any river.

IMHO - the ocean shloshing will go NOT up to the Himalyas like in the movie 2012. Just my opinion.  Will NOT.

I had thought of the scuba etc.
At any rate what I intend to do is build the dome with a hatch opening on top. And/or the steel container with two exits. I feel if it does flood and stay flooded that bad not many humans can survive that... Somehow I do not think that will happen not if properly inland and up a ways...

I had posted some ideas previously about a concrete fortress type thing built up off the surface of the ground, anchored in, with the dome set down in it on top. . Not thinking about any structure that would float. Floating is a concept but not sure antyhing light enough to float would hold up to 200 mph winds and big quakes ...

If it did float it could float right off the survival land spot to Lord knows where... That said, I am sure some people would prefer to have something that would float...

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:32:46 PM by Yowbarb »

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 05:44:58 PM »
Yowbarb My post may have sounded a little mean it was not meant to be at all, it is just the level of fabrication and cost as well as time is beyond most people. I was serious about floating, it would be doable a simple cargo container well sealed from the inside would do that make sure there is weight secured to the bottom so it does not flip most of the high wind should be before the flood and even if the wind lasted after it popped out of the ground it should be able to take it. Also I said if I win I would give you a call I would.

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 05:59:23 PM »
Hi Yowbarb,

I think if you had a hatch at the bottom of the container you could open that and the air pressure inside the container would keep the water from rushing in. The hatch would have to open into the container so you are not fighting the pressure of the water.

Try an experiment at the local pool take an empty water bottle to the 5 foot section go down to the bottom hold the bottle upside down and take of the lid and see what happens.

Keep in mind the shelter would have to be completely under water, if not then the water might rush in.

As far as the ideal of floating a tub to the surface you only need compressed air. I think that was how Subs sent up communication lines. just make sure you have enough line, and a way to tell if you have reach the surface.

Hope this helps Bob

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!