Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Aftertime building: Cans and bottles; paper plastic and wood scrap  (Read 26610 times)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Aftertime building: Cans and bottles; paper plastic and wood scrap
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2018, 06:52:23 AM »
That sounds like it would be a very rewarding project to try - almost fun, in fact!

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Aftertime building: Cans and bottles; paper plastic and wood scrap
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2018, 05:43:47 PM »
We should all be experimenting now with various mixes for mortars and "cements", as humid areas with high rainfall will require different types of construction than dry areas with rare rain (not as common now, in view of the flash flooding everywhere, including "1,000-year floods").

A few years ago I was mixing wood ash from the wood stove with water and something else I cannot now recall, but it immediately brought to mind a distinction Dad made years ago, but which I never followed up on.

Dad would talk about getting more concrete blocks at times, and at other times, he would mention cinder blocks.  I remember the cinder blocks looked different and smelled different when wet.  And, years later on that day I had mixed wood ash with water and the other ingredient, I immediately remembered the cinder blocks, because the mix I was working with smelled remarkably similar to those cinder blocks.  It was an AHA moment, because I suddenly realized why they were referring to them as "cinder" blocks--they were made from cinders, or the burnt slag from some kind of fire, that is probably not wood, although am guessing wood ashes and cinders could also be used.

Here's what I'm getting at:  in a situation where you can't run to the nearest hardward store or big box outlet for supplies, how could/would you be able to concoct some type of mortar from materials found around the homestead, in the woods, or the landfill, or wherever?  I plan to experiment again with cinders or ash, sand, clay, sawdust or wheat straw/grass fiber, etc., and water.  Maybe there's something I'm forgetting, and if so, it will probably be remembered when the mix does not hold together!

It's definitely time to experiment.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!