Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: STORING GAS/how do we do it safely?  (Read 7265 times)

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: STORING GAS/how do we do it safely?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 11:09:07 PM »
Fuel stabilizer works well used some 2 1/2 year old gas in my Neon no issues. One 5 gallon bucket gives me 1/2 a tank of gas.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 12:36:03 AM »
Fuel stabilizer works well used some 2 1/2 year old gas in my Neon no issues. One 5 gallon bucket gives me 1/2 a tank of gas.

That's good to know.

Montanabarb

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 09:00:04 AM »
  Just a reminder on fuel storage. Rotate stored fuel.   September 15'th was the start of winter gasoline.  The winter mix  has butane added which makes the fuel more volatile.  I don't know what month after September has the best blend for storage.
  Old gas can cause engine starting problems. The refineries add butane to assist in cold weather starting. Since fuel stored for long durations looses volatility, the winter blend is best for storage.
  Another reason for rotation is that condensation can form in the cans if not filled all the way. After three years, I rotated my stored gas. After dumping the gas into a clean bucket , some water was found in the bottom.  Rubbing alcohol can be used to remove the remaining water in the cans after transferring the fuel. The fuel wasn't wasted, I mixed it with new fuel in the bugout vehicle with no problems.
  I like the steel  5 gallon military Jerri cans.  The europen cam lock lids seem to seal better that the old school U.S. type with the large pipe thread plugs. 

Don't forget to add fuel stabilizer.

All very useful info... !

We are using 5-yr-old gas (stabilized and rotated) in two nearly new Toyotas.  No problems at all, in spite of dire warnings from my sons. We filter it just to be safe (coffee filters), but it's sparkling clean even without filtering. 

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 09:29:42 PM »
Here is an article on storing different types of fuel.

How to Store Fuel Properly
Written by The Ready Store

Fuel is one of the most important things that you can use in an emergency. Whether it powers a car, generator, or stove; you’ll need to make sure that your fuel is ready for when you need it.

Handle all fuels with care. Remember that all of these could light at a moment’s notice.

http://www.thereadystore.com/survival-tips/3221/how-to-store-fuel-properly/?utm_source=rne_thursday_20140206a--google--organic&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=thursday--content--store_fuel&utm_content=main_content_btn&trk_msg=887CVAP75LGKFELGE5VNN98N74&trk_contact=T8U4UKNVGRVIM2H073MBUB0NG0

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!