Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: What Defense Zone #1 is about.  (Read 12350 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: What Defense Zone #1 is about.
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 06:39:29 PM »
not to mention knives,flint rocks, and the all around bow.  as long as there is trees there will be ammo for the bow.
Also the bow is silent!! and arrows can be recovered.

Grant that is a really good point. There could be times when it is necessary to keep a
low profile and to hunt etc. without making a big kaboom all down the valley.
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 09:47:18 PM »
This section will be about defense from 1 to 15 yards and include the "Up Close and Personal" weapons and tactics to give you an edge to defend then command a situation.

Archangel if you still come here to read, maybe you will see this msg.
I don't have any way to contact you other than this post, in your Topic.
Not sure why you are listed as "Guest,"   ??? or what happened.
This is to let you know we lost a lot of Members due to some hyperactive computer program, a few months ago.
Consider Reapplying for your Free Membership to the town Hall.
If you do apply, you might want to keep the same user name and also, please make sure you fill out the Application completely.
- Barb Townsend
  Topic Admin

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 09:35:07 AM »
This is why I have a crossbow (need to learn how to use it), although I'm getting a shotgun for better security.
I was told that with a gun, one shot can get people's attention, a second shot will give away your location. It scares me to think that after firing a shot or two, people would come looking for me.

not to mention knives,flint rocks, and the all around bow.  as long as there is trees there will be ammo for the bow.
Also the bow is silent!! and arrows can be recovered.

Grant that is a really good point. There could be times when it is necessary to keep a
low profile and to hunt etc. without making a big kaboom all down the valley.
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 10:13:25 AM »
Buddha Kitty I feel you are right about getting a shotgun and as well as a crossbow.

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 12:39:17 PM »
I had shotgun lessons last night (instructor was a green beret, served in iraq invasion and afghanistan and other stuff, VERY good looking and young but let's not go there ;)) I went in there telling him Im looking for something that i could use to protect my daughter and myself during a home invasion and possibly use for hunting in the future.  We spent 3 hours training, loading, unloading, going through survival scenarios, etc. and this weekend I'll be getting a 12 or 20 ga pump action mossberg 500, it seems very easy to use and maintain.

Mark Harbolt

• stringers
  • Prolific Member
  • Those that can, do.
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 05:15:56 PM »
Right On!!!  That is how it's done.
Keep up the good work.  Learn, practice and train.
 ;D

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 05:27:21 PM »
Right On!!!  That is how it's done.
Keep up the good work.  Learn, practice and train.
 ;D

Thanks!  Now if only the shooting ranges were a bit closer.  Some practice is better than none, I 'spose.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2018, 05:47:08 PM »
Defense Zone #1
From one to fiffteen feet is not much of a distance...When a dangerous person or animal is that close, wow.
I would recommend in every room of your home, dome, compound, indoors, outdoors, outhouse - whatever - there be at least a long walking stick. When I was raising my kids we had some tall bamboo sticks leaning in the corner of every room. We did that for years. Fortunately we didn't have intruders, at least not when we were home.

Every single thing with wheels on it was stolen, for years, if we left it in the front yard.  Even if a big yard, and it was near the house. So we lived in fairly high crime areas. I was mugged a couple times, no serious harm but at other times, had to hide and disappear to avoid serious harm. Out of five kids at least three were roughed up or chased, etc. Fortunately not serious harm and got away but not easy to go through...

It may not sound like much but better to have something in your hands, than nothing. The kids 5-15 years old will not be packing heat, normally but they can at least know how to grab some sort of defensive weapon and give someone a whack with it, or at least use it to maneuver and get away.

Not too long ago, every home had a blunderbuss or a rifle of some sort, loaded and mounted up above the mantle in the living room. The lady of the house could grab it point and shoot and she likely did not hesitate.

I have read that boys as young as 9 -10 used to ride around a perimeter of the property, shotgun over shoulder. Papa could not always be there...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 05:57:47 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 06:24:32 PM »
Yowbarb Note:
I'm sure most of you reading here have thought about close-up self defense.
No one should be totally undefended.
Objects like pepper spray, mace, brass knuckles, better than nothing. But they have to be where you can grab them, fast. Know how to use them.
If you live in a concealed carry or open carry state then carry.

If illegal well, do what you have to do, but do not be a sitting duck.
If you have a gun at home, practice common-sense gun safety and do not leave where little kids can grab it. But if it is (not loaded) when you need it, what good is it in a sudden emergency? Load the ___ thing!

Several years ago, I was living by myself and rode my bike a lot, my dad got me pepper spray attached firmly to a laniard. I wore it around my neck whenever I went out at night.
I had the pepper spray container fully open and ready to use it.
I fortunately avoided being mugged (most of the time) as I said, no serious harm. First incident, I was hitting the guy pretty hard even with my left hand.
Not attacked at all in that inland area, where I had the pepper spray. It was later, in Hollywood... still, not serious. Then, some gang bangers hit me in the face, knocked me half unconscious and (tried) to steal my purse. Big Armenian guy immediately ran out of a store, ran after them, bounced one guy's head off a metal street pole - and they never showed their face again. I had said, ___ you and clutched it tightly to me. (My purse and my daughter's purse was running to try and return it to her.)

Earlier than that, in north San Diego county, one of my daughters used a karate move to disable and disarm a gang attacker several years older than her. She was 14. He grabbed her with his left hand around her neck and shoulder and had a knife in his right hand.
She gave him a swift backward kick into the cahones!! Gangbanger guy was temporarily incapacitated, doubled over in pain, and he dropped his knife. Not making this up! it gave my daughter just enough time to run up to her school and ring the doorbell. It was a little private school, after hours. I had told her to not go out after sunset but she did. Fortunately she had drilled a karate move, just once.
All my kids were in the Boy's Club of Vista free karate lessons. I was there that night, when the  instructor drilled it. Not making this up.

Once I stupidly ended up out of gas in downtown L.A. but I had a loaded gun in my pocket. The creeps seemed to sense that. Note: Not everyone who is poor and badly dressed is going to be a psycho killer. Some people will want to be protective. I have experienced that. But at night, easy to spot the hardcore perpetrators...
Avoided being victimized... like I said mugged a couple times but not seriously harmed...when i say seriously... not the worst stuff...
I did use my voice, my gun my personal chi and so on to keep em at bay.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 06:34:10 PM »
My only son got roughed up by gang members (shoved around) at about age ten...
Not much he could do about that... He was just playing video games at a store right in our neighborhood, and they came in and roughed him up.

Years later my son and friends and a couple girls were on a bus bench in Hollywood and a white van full of gangbangers jumped out and threw a beer in my son's face and grabbed his friend's wallet. My son had a good big knife I had got him and was prepared to use it to defend the girls, but they jumped in the van and drove off.

My son and his best friend ran after the van into a parking lot. But then, their survival instinct quickly kicked in and they realized the gangbangers wanted to trap them in the secluded parking lot. There were only two of them and about six in the van. Not good odds. Before the gang guys got out of the van my son and friend got the heck out of there, back to their group on the bus bench.

Many years later and about half a foot taller and a bit meaner, and with some martial arts in him, my son was able to beat the crap out of a gang member who he was fighting on Hollywood Blvd. The cops were in the area and broke it up, but my son was getting the better of him. The gang cowards aren't so good one on one. Then years later my son could have been killed because he was by himself and chased and knifed and had to jump a really tall fence to get away. They stalked him and waited for him outside a Halloween party...  It was a noisy downtown party with a heavy big metal door. He had gone outside to get a cell phone signal to call a cab. That's when they approached him and chased him. There was no one out side to help him, he had no weapon on, just a halloween costume. Noisy party no one could hear him inside.  It was one of these artist communities downtown, industrial area, artists and musicians but some gangs there, too. They chased him a short ways away toward the L.A. River, I think they intended to kill him.  Thank the Lord, he got through all that. That was a close call. His sisters and I had such a bleak feeling, realizing how he could have been killed in his Elvis costume, with no weapon for defense...

He went to an ER, thinking he had gashed his arm open on the 12 foot fence but the ER doc said, no son, you were knifed.

One daughter, my only son and I have all been caught by ourselves and had to be really stealth, and hide to avoid being hurt by criminals. We managed to hide well enough.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2018, 06:35:54 PM »
There is also psychic self-defense.  I practice shifting my energy around in a mental grid made up of four quadrants: Old Self, Young Self, Masculine Energy, Feminine Energy.  When approached inappropriately in a smaller way such as verbally, one can first remain neutral, and give the boundary violator an opportunity to learn by your silence that he or she has trespassed.  Often, the person will realize his mistake and backtrack. 

When greater danger is sensed, one can shift beyond neutral, and into Old Self + Masculine Energy, which for a woman can actually be one's mature, authoritative, matter-of-fact matriarchal persona.  One can be civil with those in the scene, which may be enough to alter the tone if one is fully playing the role described above, including dressing the part.  That's where consistently wearing modest and traditional attire can be a big asset to a woman, though it's not easy to do nowdays unless one can sew.

It does not always work to be civil, as a lovely elderly gentleman who is an old friend simply was in the wrong place at the wrong time in an urban setting, and said "Good day gentlemen" to the wrong people, and was beaten up for it.  So perhaps the best advice for women of all ages is to travel accompanied, in known safe locations, and by daylight, as was the old custom for gentlewomen.  With the anarchy that is coming, a self-imposed curfew and the buddy system may help to keep us out of harm's way.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2018, 06:47:13 PM »
There is also psychic self-defense.  I practice shifting my energy around in a mental grid made up of four quadrants: Old Self, Young Self, Masculine Energy, Feminine Energy.  When approached inappropriately in a smaller way such as verbally, one can first remain neutral, and give the boundary violator an opportunity to learn by your silence that he or she has trespassed.  Often, the person will realize his mistake and backtrack. 

When greater danger is sensed, one can shift beyond neutral, and into Old Self + Masculine Energy, which for a woman can actually be one's mature, authoritative, matter-of-fact matriarchal persona.  One can be civil with those in the scene, which may be enough to alter the tone if one is fully playing the role described above, including dressing the part.  That's where consistently wearing modest and traditional attire can be a big asset to a woman, though it's not easy to do nowdays unless one can sew.

It does not always work to be civil, as a lovely elderly gentleman who is an old friend simply was in the wrong place at the wrong time in an urban setting, and said "Good day gentlemen" to the wrong people, and was beaten up for it.  So perhaps the best advice for women of all ages is to travel accompanied, in known safe locations, and by daylight, as was the old custom for gentlewomen.  With the anarchy that is coming, a self-imposed curfew and the buddy system may help to keep us out of harm's way.

R.R. I really like your post and your ideas...
I totally agree about not running around unaccompanied... it was something I did do, partly circumstances, etc. Bussing, walking back from school or work, store...

That authoritative loud thing, for me it comes out of nowhere, I call it my inner chi, warrior...
First time I noticed it, I was about 13...

I do agree, being in balance and avoiding harm in the first place is a really wise thing to do...
I also agree with the modest dressing thing.  In coming times best to not be in urban areas... but for those stuck there, they will need to use all methods they possibly can...
Blessings, All... 
PS R.R. I kept editing my post...you may want to reread it, ... :)

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!