Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: "Oil pulling" ancient Indian technique kills strep, helps improve conditions  (Read 6017 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
In this Wikipedia article it says sesame oil, sunflower oil and coconut oil are the best for
this technique.
- Yowbarb
http://www.coconut.virginorganicfood.com/images/articles/coconut/Oil-Pulling-with-Coconut-Oil-z5kJbx2U.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_pulling

Oil pulling

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oil pulling or oil swishing is a traditional Indian folk remedy that involves swishing oil in the mouth. It is mentioned in the Ayurvedic text Charaka Samhita, where it is called Kavala Gandoosha or Kavala Graha. Ayurvedic literature describes oil pulling as capable of both improving oral health and treating systemic diseases such as diabetes mellitus or asthma.[1] While scientific evidence is lacking to support any systemic benefits of oil pulling, some studies have suggested that it may reduce oral plaque, halitosis, and gingivitis.

Procedure

The practitioner rinses the mouth with approximately one tablespoon of oil for 15–20 minutes on an empty stomach (before eating/drinking) then spits it out and washes the teeth, gums, tongue (softly) and palate thoroughly.. Cold pressed (raw) oil is critical to the effectiveness.
Sesame oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil are the most recommended. According to an Ireland study, coconut oil is the only effective oil used in oil pulling that can stop growth of Streptococcus bacteria and is therefore recommended for oil pulling. Oil pulling is usually recommended to be done first thing in the morning; moreover, followed by rinsing mouth with (sea salt) salt water and then brushing teeth in normal morning routine.

See also
Oral hygiene
Mouthwash

References

1.^ Jump up to: a b Singh A, Purohit B (April 2011). "Tooth brushing, oil pulling and tissue regeneration: A review of holistic approaches to oral health". J Ayurveda Integr Med 2 (2): 64–8. doi:10.4103/0975-9476.82525. PMC 3131773. PMID 21760690.
2.Jump up ^ Asokan S, Rathan J, Muthu MS, Rathna PV, Emmadi P (March 2008). "Effect of oil pulling on Streptococcus mutans count in plaque and saliva using Dentocult SM Strip mutans test: a randomized, controlled, triple-blind study". J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 26 (1): 12–7. PMID 18408265.
3.Jump up ^ Asokan S, Rathinasamy TK, Inbamani N, Menon T, Kumar SS, Emmadi P, Raghuraman R (2011). "Mechanism of oil-pulling therapy - in vitro study". Indian J Dent Res 22 (1): 34–7. doi:10.4103/0970-9290.79971. PMID 21525674.
4.Jump up ^ Asokan S, Emmadi P, Chamundeswari R (2009). "Effect of oil pulling on plaque induced gingivitis: a randomized, controlled, triple-blind study". Indian J Dent Res 20 (1): 47–51. PMID 19336860.
5.Jump up ^ Asokan S, Kumar RS, Emmadi P, Raghuraman R, Sivakumar N (2011). "Effect of oil pulling on halitosis and microorganisms causing halitosis: a randomized controlled pilot trial". J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 29 (2): 90–4. doi:10.4103/0970-4388.84678. PMID 21911944.
6.Jump up ^ "The economics of success". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 22 January 2006.
7.Jump up ^ Fife, Bruce. "Oil Pulling for a Brighter Smile and Better Health". Coconut Research Center. Retrieved 27 July 2013.
8.Jump up ^ "Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil: Just a Health Trend or the Effective Remedy?". Oily Oily. Retrieved 27 July 2013.
9.Jump up ^ Fife, Bruce. "Oil Pulling for a Brighter Smile and Better Health". Coconut Research Center. Retrieved 27 July

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Yowbarb Note:
There are internet posts about how oil pulling supposedly does not work, or special instructions on how to do; side effects etc.
I say just try it...
Read more about it if you are cautious.
It's funny I have been using the coconut oil for awhile now and once or twice I felt like swishing it in my mouth or holding it in my mouth longer...I was totally unaware that oil pulling with coconut oil is an ancient practice..
- Yowbarb

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
Yowbarb Note:
There are internet posts about how oil pulling supposedly does not work, or special instructions on how to do; side effects etc.
I say just try it...
Read more about it if you are cautious.
It's funny I have been using the coconut oil for awhile now and once or twice I felt like swishing it in my mouth or holding it in my mouth longer...I was totally unaware that oil pulling with coconut oil is an ancient practice..
- Yowbarb

Hi Barb!

This is a great post-- I have tried this, and it does take a bit to get used to-  but I do feel so much better after each pulling! I am such a big supporter of coconut oil (which has a shelf life of several years) and it's many benefits, when I had first heard about this, I had to try.

As for the reports that state that oil pulling does not work, I'm with you- I say try it as well! Why not use this oil to extract impurities from your mouth, especially when it has so many beneficial properties:

Coconut In Modern Medicine

Modern medical science is now confirming the use of coconut in treating many of the above conditions. Published studies in medical journals show that coconut, in one form or another, may provide a wide range of health benefits. Some of these are summarized below:

• Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses.
  • Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases.
  • Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections.
  • Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites.
  • Provides a nutritional source of quick energy.
  • Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance.
  • Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
  • Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.
  • Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body.
  • Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis.
  • Helps relieve symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes.
  • Reduces problems associated with malabsorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.
  • Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth.
  • Helps protect against osteoporosis.
  • Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease.
  • Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers.
  • Improves digestion and bowel function.
  • Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids.
  • Reduces inflammation.
  • Supports tissue healing and repair.
  • Supports and aids immune system function.
  • Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers.
  • Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease.
  • Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects against heart disease.
  • Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.
  • Functions as a protective antioxidant.
  • Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease.
  • Does not deplete the body's antioxidant reserves like other oils do.
  • Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation.
  • Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
  • Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement).
  • Reduces epileptic seizures.
  • Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections.
  • Dissolves kidney stones.
  • Helps prevent liver disease.
  • Is lower in calories than all other fats.
  • Supports thyroid function.
  • Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate.
  • Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats.
  • Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems.
  • Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection.
  • Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis.
  • Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin.
  • Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking.
  • Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots.
  • Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion.
  • Provides protection from damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation from the sun.
  • Helps control dandruff.
  • Does not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperature like other vegetable oils do.
  • Has no harmful or discomforting side effects.
  • Is completely non-toxic to humans.

Source:http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

Blessings
~pB

“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.”
― Miyamoto Musashi  (1584 –1645)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
pbutter  - great post.
 :)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Update I just got an email from Global Moderator Endtimesgal - about Oil Pulling! It was a great reminder because although I had started the oil pulling topic and although I consume some organic coconut oil regularly I haven't been doing the oil pulling much. It sort of slipped my mind.
The link to the article she sent me has good instructions and more valuable info! It was a good reminder and thanks Endtimesgal. I am glad you are into it, too! :)
After getting your email I tried it for a better length of time. Previously wasn't long enough!
Please read these instructions. It helps clarify it a lot, how to do this.
Here is the link Endtimesgal sent to me. On the page is also a link to the PDF!

http://www.undergroundhealth.com/the-health-benefits-of-oil-pulling/   

The Health Benefits of Oil Pulling

February 12, 2014 at 11:17 am
By Morgan Potts – mindbodygreen.com

Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic method for detox and rejuvenation. It’s a simple practice, with quite remarkable results. Many have heard of it, but never actually dove in to try it. It definitely has a mystical and exciting vibe around it, which made me eager to try. But what exactly is it? What does it do?

In a (coco)nut shell:

To oil pull, simply swish your choice of unrefined, high quality oil in your mouth; similar to the way you would use a mouthwash. My favorite is coconut oil. This can be done anywhere from five to 20 minutes. The process attracts and removes bacteria, toxins, and parasites that live in your mouth or lymph system, and also pulls congestion and mucus from your throat and loosens up your sinuses, which is amazing! With the help of your saliva, all these scary undesirables bind with the oil, ready to be disposed of. Pulling also helps re-mineralize your teeth and strengthen your gums by thoroughly cleansing the area. This sounds good, right? But how exactly do you do it?

Traditionally, oil pullers used virgin sesame oil. The reason I prefer to use raw coconut oil is because it has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and enzymatic properties. This provides the added benefit of killing any unwanted bacteria that may be residing in the mouth, while leaving behind healthy probiotic strains. A perfect exchange!

To start, scoop ½ to 1 full tablespoon of oil into the mouth; if it’s cold, allow the oil to melt. Now push, swirl, and pull the oil between your teeth, around your gums, and allow it to touch every part of your mouth except your throat. You don’t want the oil getting in contact with your throat because it’s now carrying somewhat toxic material. No gargling!

Have fun with it, though! Hum a little song, or practice deep breathing through your nose. Allow this to be a sacred time. Enjoy the feeling of cleansing, the relaxation with the absence of talking. There’s nothing quite like the feeling of smiling with a mouth full of oil. Something about it just feels so right!

Once your time pulling is over, spit into the trash or toilet, but never the sink — the oil could solidify and clog your drain. Now rinse your mouth out with clean water two or three times. Finally, drink a glass of water and relax. You should be feeling fresh and rejuvenated.

Why oil pull? A popular reason for oil pulling is to find relief from congestion in the sinuses and throat. It is unbelievable how quickly this happens! Immediately after rinsing, you will find yourself blowing your nose and clearing your throat. I have worked with people struggling with chronic sinus congestion who experienced relief unlike anything else, after oil pulling only once! Their condition improved and the congestion eventually went away completely.

I began pulling to benefit my gums and teeth, which used to be extremely sensitive. My gums strengthened, and teeth became much whiter! It also proved to be beneficial to my skin, which cleared up dramatically, and became bright and almost glowing. Swishing with coconut oil has also proven to be beneficial to those with skin disorders such as psoriasis, and is great for anyone who wants to detox and begin taking better care of their immune system.

Oil pulling can be done at any time of the day, but for a more thorough detox, its best to do this in the morning, before eating or drinking. If you are having a hard time fitting oil pulling into your routine, I’ve found a nice time to do this is while in the shower. This way, you aren’t counting the clock until the minutes are up; simply spit when your shower is done.

I hope you enjoy this healing, divine and sensual experience as much as I do. Love the oil. Love the process. Happy pulling!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
After Endtimesgal sent me that good article - which was a good reminder - I have done the oil pulling the right way two mornings now.
 ;D

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Yowbarb Note:
Coconut oil comes in clear plastic or glass containers. Best to put it into a clean glass jar so compounds in the plastic will not leach into the oil It will keep on a shelf at room temp for two years.
Any ideas on how to store it even longer? Only thing I can think of is put into tightly sealed glass jars and keep as cool as possible. Coconut oil has so many health benefits...a good item to bug out with. Good for survival pantry, cache.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/188613-how-do-i-store-coconut-oil/

How Do I Store Coconut Oil?

by MAXINE WALLACE    Last Updated: Jan 24, 2014

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
dental hygiene
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 12:17:21 PM »
After many bad years i've finally gotten around to taking care of my teeth...  ::)
Recently i acquired a litre of good quality olive oil and have been swishing in the morning. It's a discipline; instead of eating my nuts for breakfast straight away, i have a big glass of water with lemon juice and then take a swig of oil; i'm swishing all the way to work and spit it out somewhere before i get there. Then, i take out my nuts and have breakfast.

The main reason for this whole setup is that i've noticed that my cavities respond well to the oil pulling. As i have several ugly stains and cavities to deal with, i am now commited to adding oil puling to my daily regime. The alternative is losing even more...

I'm greatful for the latest posts; i have coconut oil but have been using olive oil because it's convenient: pick up the bottle and swig. However, i didn't know coconut oil is superior. I will be starting with the coconut tomorrow morning.

In a world without dentists [i.e. post-TEOTWAWKI] it will be important to know about and practice prevention as well as alternative care. In a weird and twisted way it is a blessing that i at this moment have dental issues so i can see what practices actually work. You see, i have cavities that sometimes are painful and there are things to do that help that pain go away.

Of course there are also things to do to help the teeth regrow, like eating horsetail, but that's a whole other topic; but it's also important to heal, support and maintain dental health and oil pulling helps in that dept. is my experience.

[Other important practices i'm employing: MMS+clay, clay (before going to sleep), toothpicks + scraping the teeth with toothpicks.]
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: dental hygiene
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 04:13:52 PM »
After many bad years i've finally gotten around to taking care of my teeth...  ::)
Recently i acquired a litre of good quality olive oil and have been swishing in the morning. It's a discipline; instead of eating my nuts for breakfast straight away, i have a big glass of water with lemon juice and then take a swig of oil; i'm swishing all the way to work and spit it out somewhere before i get there. Then, i take out my nuts and have breakfast.

The main reason for this whole setup is that i've noticed that my cavities respond well to the oil pulling. As i have several ugly stains and cavities to deal with, i am now commited to adding oil puling to my daily regime. The alternative is losing even more...

I'm greatful for the latest posts; i have coconut oil but have been using olive oil because it's convenient: pick up the bottle and swig. However, i didn't know coconut oil is superior. I will be starting with the coconut tomorrow morning.

In a world without dentists [i.e. post-TEOTWAWKI] it will be important to know about and practice prevention as well as alternative care. In a weird and twisted way it is a blessing that i at this moment have dental issues so i can see what practices actually work. You see, i have cavities that sometimes are painful and there are things to do that help that pain go away.

Of course there are also things to do to help the teeth regrow, like eating horsetail, but that's a whole other topic; but it's also important to heal, support and maintain dental health and oil pulling helps in that dept. is my experience.

[Other important practices i'm employing: MMS+clay, clay (before going to sleep), toothpicks + scraping the teeth with toothpicks.]
Glad to see oil pulling is back for discussion.

In November, 2014, I began oil pulling after a few false starts, and now I have been doing this for two years and two months.  It has made a BIG difference, and I suspect as time passes, it will be even more noticeable.

I had gum disease, due to decades (beginning around age 12) of eating lots of candy and other useless junk, including soda.  Then after having all my many mercury amalgam fillings removed in 2012, I noticed several teeth were now loose, when they had not been before.  Problem was that with gum disease, and all the physical manipulations involved in drilling out old fillings, then re-filling with non-toxic stuff, the teeth most problematic became loosened from all the physical trauma.

Eventually one tooth had to be pulled as it was too far gone.  But the one loose one I vowed to save.  I am here to tell you that oil pulling DOES work.  My gum disease is disappearing, plus best of all that loose tooth is barely noticeable as being "loose" anymore.  For someone who needs to tighten a loose tooth, be patient as this will not happen overnight or even in a few weeks, at least it hasn't here.

I started out using olive oil but the problem is, olive oil is much thicker than coconut oil, once you start swirling it around, and the olive oil does not become "watery feeling" after time, as does the coconut oil.

Further, I almost choked to death one time because I was busy cutting up veggies one morning, while oil pulling, and accidentally cut myself. As you know there is a sort of reflex one does when suddenly cut or hurt, and that involves a sudden inhalation.  I coughed and gagged my way out of it, and after that didn't do any oil pulling for a few months, then did so in an off and on manner.

But now, it's been two-plus years and the coconut oil, for me, is the best for oil pulling.  Another bonus is that hubby says my breath is fresher now, whereas before with gum disease, I imagine all that infection and bacteria weren't contributing to fresh breath at all.

Sorry for such a long post.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
conditioning...
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 11:17:11 PM »
I almost choked to death one time because I was busy cutting up veggies one morning, while oil pulling, and accidentally cut myself. As you know there is a sort of reflex one does when suddenly cut or hurt, and that involves a sudden inhalation.  I coughed and gagged my way out of it, and after that didn't do any oil pulling for a few months, then did so in an off and on manner.
This is exactly the kind of story that goes with any prepper life; you're doing your best, trying out 'alternatives' and then something goes wrong. Nothing to do with what you're doing, it's just about fate and averages and odd chance. But for you (and your body) it can be quite the experience. And in a world based on averages and 'common knowledge', you're both fighting your own experience and you're a victim of a lifetime of conditioning. And it doesn't help that you're also having to deal with these kind of occurances.

I have myself been dealing with mainstream culture, having married a mainstream wife before i became aware that such a thing is ill advised... I would be scraping my teeth and get remarks on how my practice seemed odd or gross; so i pulled away from the practice...
We're all living in a world based on averages and ignorance and as social animals, that ain't always easy, or even feasible.
Living on my own i finally have all of the (social) room to try out practices that were (at least) difficult when sharing a house with someone 'out of the know'. Now, finally, i have the room to cultivate positive practices like oil pulling without anybody's judgements. And in relation to the above experience, without anybody pouring salt on to inexperienced wounds.

Mainstream culture is, basically, inherently suicidal and self-destructive and when you try to set up a life that aims for survival and self-sustainability, you are inherently met with (considerable) opposition. It's bad enough you have to set up a sane and human life from scratch, it's even worse when your endevours are met with all kinds, manner of and degrees of attack.

Your teeth; it doesn't get much more basic than that. I just wish i'd heard about this stuff 20 years ago.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: conditioning...
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 03:16:15 PM »
I almost choked to death one time because I was busy cutting up veggies one morning, while oil pulling, and accidentally cut myself. As you know there is a sort of reflex one does when suddenly cut or hurt, and that involves a sudden inhalation.  I coughed and gagged my way out of it, and after that didn't do any oil pulling for a few months, then did so in an off and on manner.
I have myself been dealing with mainstream culture, having married a mainstream wife before i became aware that such a thing is ill advised... I would be scraping my teeth and get remarks on how my practice seemed odd or gross; so i pulled away from the practice...

Mainstream culture is, basically, inherently suicidal and self-destructive and when you try to set up a life that aims for survival and self-sustainability, you are inherently met with (considerable) opposition. It's bad enough you have to set up a sane and human life from scratch, it's even worse when your endevours are met with all kinds, manner of and degrees of attack.

Your teeth; it doesn't get much more basic than that. I just wish i'd heard about this stuff 20 years ago.
Sometimes spouses or partners sneer at or ridicule alternative practices, but I suspect it may reflect a twinge of envy, and the wish that he or she had the nerve to "try it".  I often assume hubby thinks I'm nuts, but that's his problem, not mine.  I just keep truckin' along, oil pulling, making herbal tinctures and homeopathic remedies, and many other endeavors that have only benefits, and no downsides, as far as I can see.

I think they call it "teaching by example".

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: conditioning
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 04:28:13 AM »
i do imagine, though, that it matters whether one is on the female or male end of this. I mean, if my 'wife' were up to weird stuff, i'd just let her be; but when i'm the one trying out 'alternative' stuff, i get an endless, daily, judgemental barrage of bs to deal with.

Government gives her all the power and for the sake of my son i deal with it; on the receiving end (of said power), i imagine things feel very differently...
survival database

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Socrates and ilinda, really worthwhile posts!
Inspiring me to get back to the coconut oil pulling...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Since Socrates mentioned horsetail for dental health, here is a note about horsetail herb, also known as shavegrass and "scouring rush.” Teeth, gums and many, many uses. A few cautions.
See article here:

https://wellnessmama.com/8592/horsetail-herb-profile/

Wellness Mama - Horsetail Herb Profile

Last Updated: December 30, 2016

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!