Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: survival places  (Read 8946 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: survival places
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 11:41:08 AM »
Looks like I more or less am in a relatively safe place here in southeastern Utah. Though it seems I'm always looking for a little safer place.

Morgan, I feel Utah where you are is safer than a lot of places...you aren't near oceans or large bodies of water.
It may take more research to know for sure..
All The Best,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 11:43:40 AM »
Morgan, a P.S. here is the seismicity map of Utah. Things could change in the future but the map shows, for now the southeast corner of Utah is not a seismic zone. - Yowbarb
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/utah/seismicity.php
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:51:55 PM by Yowbarb »

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 12:37:38 PM »
also think of level compared to sea level, volcanoes, and quality fresh water. Earthquakes do suck, but theirs more then just that to consider, I'd figure Utah may do well as there r several communities off the main grid down there, and most of the folks r not as dependent on tech.
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 12:53:31 PM »
True in Nevada and Utah you will find alternative living, domes, communes and probably quite a few people looking to form up groups. People will have to know how to get wells put in and so on...
All The Best,
Yowbarb
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:56:59 PM by Yowbarb »

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 09:05:49 PM »
Personally I prefer high ground to bunkers but i may change my mind depending on the atmosphere, i just worry about underground places in events of plenty of seismic activity :(
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 02:26:04 PM »
Personally I prefer high ground to bunkers but i may change my mind depending on the atmosphere, i just worry about underground places in events of plenty of seismic activity :(

There are problems to sort out with underground structures but it is the only way to be safe from wind, solar etc.
Any underground structure would need to be really well reinforced. Ventilation plus some innovative ideas on how to deal with earth or smoke etc. which may get into system. Some simple manual ways to clean it out from inside the bunker. Takes some thought. Another thing I posted a couple times in other topics: Have a big digging tool inside the bunker and battery operated if necessary. People should be prepared to dig out. All I know is very few structures will survive above ground. The dome designs I keep seeing are not adequate. Bear in mind that the Church dome which survived Katrina had few windows. Those windows were really thick plastic, recessed into the structure. Walls need to be thick, monolithic structure reinforced. IMHO at aleast part of the dome should have earth bermed over it. Also - steel cables set into the concrete underneath, for an additional strengthening...
I know this is not THE dome topic  ;) but anyway...wanted to mention that. Image is the Church which survived Katrina, Biloxi MS.
"Second tallest building in Biloxi" after Katrina.   - Yowbarb

New Life Family Church Biloxi  http://www.monolithic.com/stories/new-life-family-church-now-the-second-tallest-building-in-biloxi

After Katrina

Somewhere between 24 to 36 hours after Katrina made landfall, Pastor Jeff Ulmer of New Life Family Church returned to the 150-foot diameter dome church to assess damages.

After finding the building to be structurally sound, he quickly opened church doors to relief workers. New Life is located just two blocks from the beach in Biloxi, Mississippi and is now serving as a shelter for Relief Workers.

The 20-year old Monolithic Dome did receive cosmetic damage. The Airform was sheared off the dome, but according to the official FEMA inspection, the dome is structurally sound.

The main concern for any buildings left standing is mold. Due to power outages and excessive moisture, all buildings are susceptible to mold growth at this time. Church Administrator Holly Wilson wasn’t complaining though. She said, “The dome is the second tallest building still standing in Biloxi.”
[Continues ]

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!