Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: SEEDS...  (Read 16997 times)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: SEEDS...
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2018, 01:22:38 PM »
Thanks Ilinda - pickling sounds like it might be a good choice for the bitterness.

Quote from: R.R. Book on April 27, 2018, 06:55:20 PM

Your own little valley sounds like paradise Ilinda!  Would love more pics!

From Ilinda:
Will try to get a few pics that can show something other than tire tracks, goat sheds, vehicles, fence posts, bales of old hay, etc. ....

Farms are definitely not 100% picturesque - there is an industrial aspect to each of them, isn't there?  :)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: SEEDS...Inter-cropping with pole beans
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2018, 10:50:53 AM »
Am in the process of increasing the productivity of the homestead using an inexpensive, simple method: by expanding the use of purple hyacinth beans (please see post # 113 on this thread) in the scheme of the garden.  Any pole beans will work for this purpose.  These will be inter-cropped with the sunchokes, which are also being encouraged to take up an increasing amount of space in the garden.

First the spring thinning of the sunchokes patches was completed.  This was done in stages. 

Late winter / early spring: As discussed previously, this is the time to dig up 'chokes and harvest some, as they will have overwintered and inulin will have converted to fructose.  Remainders are re-distributed evenly throughout dedicated beds, or just left to keep increasing on their own.

Mid-to-late spring: Shoots will have grown tall enough to reveal additional crowding beneath the soil in sunchoke beds.  Relieving this crowding will increase productivity.  Four options (other than benign neglect) exist at this point:

1. Make a salad with the snapped-off shoots, maybe tossing in some dandelions and violets
2. Provide chop-and-drop from broken-off shoots to livestock
3. Dig up extras carefully and add more dedicated sunchoke patches, judiciously as they are invasive (invasive is a very good word in a famine).  This spring I expanded from 2 to 4 sunchoke beds at no cost just by doing this. 
4. Dig up extras and sell, barter, or share with a friend in need.  If you were to pot them up to sell, you'd have dozens of plants available.

Next, the growing sunchokes are treated as corn stalks in the "Three Sisters" planting scheme: three hyacinth beans (or your favorite pole beans) are sown around each 1' 'choke stalk (which is a giant sunflower) and permitted to climb freely, anchoring stalks in place against strong winds.  This requires a bulk order of bean seed, to save sourcing too many little 2 gram seed packages.  The larger 1/4 ounce packages have 14 times as many seeds for a little over $1 more in cost from Rohrer's.  I purchased 10 bulk packages to get started, and will reap many times that amount, as each bean vine from a single seed will produce many pods.  All parts of a hyacinth bean vine are edible BTW, including leaves and flowers.

The largest sunchoke bed just happens to be located adjacent to the apiary.  The late-blooming sunchoke flowers and sweet-pea-like hyacinth bean blossoms will provide something badly needed by the bees: large quantities of flowers that are still blooming in early autumn when most everything else is done for the season.  Color combination: yellow, pink and purple.

The bean vines will also grab nitrogen from the air and replenish soil fertility, though 'chokes will grow almost anywhere even with neglect.  Store-bought chemical fertilizers will never be needed.

Once stalks have thickened enough, poultry may be permitted into the beds and even allowed to camp there overnight (if beds are fenced) on warm summer and early autumn nights, as opposed to remaining in the coops. They will love this freedom and adventure, freeing coops from needing clean hay for a while, and adding nutrients to the soil with their manure, but you will need to hunt for any eggs that are laid in the gardens.  :)

Total cost for all this benefit to the homestead this spring was $40.55, delivered.  This was a one-time expense that will never need to be repeated.  Scarlet runner beans might be a nice alternative, as they are perennial in milder northern locations. 

Will provide photos when the plants are a little taller.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:01:59 PM by R.R. Book »

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: SEEDS...Inter-cropping with pole beans
« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2018, 03:37:12 PM »
Am in the process of increasing the productivity of the homestead using an inexpensive, simple method: by expanding the use of purple hyacinth beans (please see post # 113 on this thread) in the scheme of the garden.  Any pole beans will work for this purpose.  These will be inter-cropped with the sunchokes, which are also being encouraged to take up an increasing amount of space in the garden.

First the spring thinning of the sunchokes patches was completed.  This was done in stages. 

Late winter / early spring: As discussed previously, this is the time to dig up 'chokes and harvest some, as they will have overwintered and inulin will have converted to fructose.  Remainders are re-distributed evenly throughout dedicated beds, or just left to keep increasing on their own.

Mid-to-late spring: Shoots will have grown tall enough to reveal additional crowding beneath the soil in sunchoke beds.  Relieving this crowding will increase productivity.  Four options (other than benign neglect) exist at this point:

1. Make a salad with the snapped-off shoots, maybe tossing in some dandelions and violets
2. Provide chop-and-drop from broken-off shoots to livestock
3. Dig up extras carefully and add more dedicated sunchoke patches, judiciously as they are invasive (invasive is a very good word in a famine).  This spring I expanded from 2 to 4 sunchoke beds at no cost just by doing this. 
4. Dig up extras and sell, barter, or share with a friend in need.  If you were to pot them up to sell, you'd have dozens of plants available.

Next, the growing sunchokes are treated as corn stalks in the "Three Sisters" planting scheme: three hyacinth beans (or your favorite pole beans) are sown around each 1' 'choke stalk (which is a giant sunflower) and permitted to climb freely, anchoring stalks in place against strong winds.  This requires a bulk order of bean seed, to save sourcing too many little 2 gram seed packages.  The larger 1/4 ounce packages have 14 times as many seeds for a little over $1 more in cost from Rohrer's.  I purchased 10 bulk packages to get started, and will reap many times that amount, as each bean vine from a single seed will produce many pods.  All parts of a hyacinth bean vine are edible BTW, including leaves and flowers.

The largest sunchoke bed just happens to be located adjacent to the apiary.  The late-blooming sunchoke flowers and sweet-pea-like hyacinth bean blossoms will provide something badly needed by the bees: large quantities of flowers that are still blooming in early autumn when most everything else is done for the season.  Color combination: yellow, pink and purple.

The bean vines will also grab nitrogen from the air and replenish soil fertility, though 'chokes will grow almost anywhere even with neglect.  Store-bought chemical fertilizers will never be needed.

Once stalks have thickened enough, poultry may be permitted into the beds and even allowed to camp there overnight (if beds are fenced) on warm summer and early autumn nights, as opposed to remaining in the coops. They will love this freedom and adventure, freeing coops from needing clean hay for a while, and adding nutrients to the soil with their manure, but you will need to hunt for any eggs that are laid in the gardens.  :)

Total cost for all this benefit to the homestead this spring was $40.55, delivered.  This was a one-time expense that will never need to be repeated.  Scarlet runner beans might be a nice alternative, as they are perennial in milder northern locations. 

Will provide photos when the plants are a little taller.

Looks like a win-win situation.  I'm intrigued by the sunchokes, as I grew them years ago and they did try to, or start to, take over the garden and that is the ONLY reason I finally dug them all up and basically eradicated them.  But being a bit wiser and more able to think outside the box now, maybe it's time to revisit them.  I remember giving away a trash can full of them, just to get them off this farm in the remote chance they could re-establish themselves.

But they are really a winner and you have shown something interesting you do, with the sunchoke stalks, covered by bean vines, making for a makeshift chicken coop for those warm summer nights when the birds would rather be outside anyway, as long as they feel safe. 

Maybe one key is to have animals before growing sunchokes, as you will never feel overwhelmed with too much of any given crop as it will always feed some herbivore animal. 
Good ideas here!

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #138 on: July 11, 2018, 09:00:17 AM »
Just wanted to share this amazing photo that I found today, of intensive bean production in the Congo.  You can see beans growing in both foreground and background.  Not a speck of wasted space! 

I also read an interesting formula or algorithm of nature about pole beans (as opposed to bush beans) recently: 120 beans produced by every seed planted, either via 30 pods per plant @ 4 beans per pod, or 20 pods per plant @ 6 beans per pod.  It takes about 10 plants to yield a pound of beans.  Wish I had saved the link!

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #139 on: July 11, 2018, 07:30:37 PM »
I didn't know the numbers but an old time gardener turned me on to the fact of pole beans outproducing bush beans.  When it is explained how the pole bean just goes up, up, up and keeps producing flower after flower, higher and higher, etc., and then think of that little bush bean sitting there so close to the ground with "nowhere to go"!  Poor little thing.  I do grow one bush bean, but only because it's an heirloom from friend. 

As a reminder, this is the first year in many that I have not planted that bush bean, as time just kept slipping away, and here it is July 11 and I finally got potatoes planted this morning, as well as winter storage radish.  Always late with something every year it seems.  But it is true, when you compare the garden footprint of a bush bean vs, a pole bean, they may be equal or nearly so at the ground level in either or any direction, but going up is what pole beans do, and if you give them taller and taller poles, they will climb and climb. Maybe the sky's the limit.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2018, 05:27:09 AM »
Ilinda, Do you use your winter storage radishes for salads, goat feed, or something else?  I mostly hear of them being used for tillage, but would love to learn other ways to use them!

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2018, 08:49:36 PM »
Ilinda, Do you use your winter storage radishes for salads, goat feed, or something else?  I mostly hear of them being used for tillage, but would love to learn other ways to use them!
Now that I've finally planted them (this week) at the right time, I plan to incorporate them into our goat feed.  We try to feed them only real foods, and never those pellets from feed store.  So they get whatever is in season. 

I understand Daikon radish can reach mammoth proportions.  Well, that's a lot for a human, but gee, a goat can sort of eat forever, so adding radish to the diet might be a good idea.  The ones I planted are Black Storage Radish, which is a nice large, black, sphere radish, with snow white interior.

But I plan to incorporate them into our food as well.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2018, 08:58:08 AM »
Thanks for the info!  I totally agree about avoiding the pelleted feed.  We always make our own feed too. :)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2018, 09:02:10 AM »
Here's an interactive link to help us decide which carrots to grow and/or eat, as there are so many choices now-days. 

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/are-purple-carrots-as-healthy-as-orange-carrots/

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!