Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Northern Permaculture  (Read 11351 times)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Northern Permaculture
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2018, 06:25:48 PM »
Thanks Ilinda!  :)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Northern Permaculture: Wood ash for the garden
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2018, 11:31:21 AM »
One of the most frugal chores on the homestead is transferring wood stove ashes to the garden, essentially utilizing firewood twice.  Bio-char from bonfires can also be used.

Hardwoods are more nutrient-dense than softwoods (conifers).  We limit softwood or fatwood to kindling, as it does contain flammable resin that can lead to a creosote fire in the chimney if burned disproportionately.  For that purpose, we have a compost pile just for Christmas trees, and the tree that was added to the pile last January becomes kindling for the following autumn and winter, having dropped its needles and seasoned several months outdoors.  By October, the branches are ready to be cut into pieces suitable for the kindling basket.

Here is a table of nutrients in wood ash, with micro-nutrients varying according to species:

Ash can be used to top-dress most vegetables or worked into the soil, but shouldn't be used on acid-loving crops such as most fruits, especially berries.  It is also not used on potatoes, as the higher pH may cause scab.

Wood ash for agricultural purpose has a calcium carbonate equivalent (CCE) component, which varies from 25-59 percent (https://extension.umaine.edu/publications/2279e/). Calcium carbonate has a pH value of 9.4.  This puts ash in a similar soil amendment category as horticultural lime.  It's recommended to rotate every year where the ashes are added in the garden, so that soil is kept below a neutral pH of 7, with 6.5 being considered ideal for most vegetable crops.

Wood ash obviously needs to be thoroughly cooled down before being used, and a good place to conserve batches of it safely is in an old cast iron dutch oven, which is periodically emptied onto the garden when weather permits. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:36:08 PM by R.R. Book »

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2018, 08:13:34 PM »
One of the most frugal chores on the homestead is transferring wood stove ashes to the garden, essentially utilizing firewood twice.  Bio-char from bonfires can also be used.

I once read that a mixture of wood ash and urine makes a perfect fertilizer.  No ratios were stated.  Anyone have technical details?

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2018, 04:02:24 AM »
I'm glad you brought it up, because I forgot to include the NPK ratio: 0-1-3.

So I can see how urine would add the N and balance the formula. 

Jim, if you're a professional farmer, we need to learn more from you!  :)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2018, 10:18:00 AM »

I once read that a mixture of wood ash and urine makes a perfect fertilizer.  No ratios were stated.  Anyone have technical details?
It sounds reasonable and just think--those are two things we all can access.  Even if we find no technical details, we can experiment on small parts of a bed, so as to compare it with the "control bed".

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2018, 05:34:58 AM »
Quote from: R.R. Book on May 14, 2018, 05:03:57 AM

What is the Longevity series Ilinda?

https://humanlongevityfilm.com/

It started May 8 and should finish tomorrow.  They usually run these series a couple of times, but you almost have to binge-watch just to get it all.  But it's FREE.  They always offer the opportunity to buy the series, and I did with the Vaccines Revealed, as well as The Truth About Cancer series.

Ilinda, I'll start a separate thread about this, as it seems too important to let lapse here.  :)

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!