Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: guard animals  (Read 899 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
guard animals
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:42:37 AM »
14:40 into this vid Joel Salatin goes into keeping geese to protect his chickens.
- keep 1; more than that and they distract each other from 'guard life'
- will live up to 40 years [i.e. much longer than most dogs]
- easier to control and take care of than a dog
- don't need to be fed
- never kill any chickens [i.e. by accident or otherwise]
- short grass discourages predators; cows grazing will give short grass
- give the carnivores an area with prey [i.e. a vole, mice, rat, etc. friendly area near yours]
- keep your chickens away from areas with cover [like high grass / forest edge] by at least 10 feet
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: guard animals
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 09:47:37 AM »
If you go to the post predator protection (under "keeping animals away"), you'll find links to flora and fauna that keep out certain (undesirable) species, like:
- donkeys
- guard dogs
- llamas

Rhodesian Ridgeback
Vizsla
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:16:04 PM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 03:00:33 PM »
"Guard Animals" is probably the best location for this, although the topic has been discussed at length in other subject areas.

In the past week or two the story about the 22 year old woman who was killed by her two Pit Bulls made the headlines, and it was so gruesome that it got more press than most stories of this nature.

Apparently she had taken them for a walk in the woods, and when she didn't return home within a reasonable time, her father searched and discovered that her dogs had mauled her to death and were eating on her body in the woods when he found her.

It turns out that the dogs had recently been moved to her parents home and that they weren't being fed as much as in the past.  Plus they were being kept in a crate. 

It boils down to this:  a hungry dog who is accustomed to being fed is still a hungry dog.  I wonder what would have happened if they hadn't attacked their owner?  Would it have been the neighbor's 2 year old?  It is truly a tragic story, but provides important food for thought for anyone thinking of letting your dog "go feral".

We've even joked about what our cat would do if he were over 100# instead of about 8#.  We'd probably be appetizers!  LOL

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dogs-went-drastic-lifestyle-changes-031458173.html

Dogs Went Through 'Drastic Lifestyle' Changes Before Mauling Owner to Death"
Officials say in the time leading up to attacking their owner, the dogs weren`t fed as regularly and were neglected.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 04:55:39 PM »
Ilinda,

What a tragic story.  I seem to remember that there may be a requirement to register pit bulls with the Commonwealth here, but not sure what that entails.  I wonder if they are so high strung due to genetics, or perhaps something missing from their diets?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 12:29:08 AM »
14:40 into this vid Joel Salatin goes into keeping geese to protect his chickens.
- keep 1; more than that and they distract each other from 'guard life'
- will live up to 40 years [i.e. much longer than most dogs]
- easier to control and take care of than a dog
- don't need to be fed
- never kill any chickens [i.e. by accident or otherwise]
- short grass discourages predators; cows grazing will give short grass
- give the carnivores an area with prey [i.e. a vole, mice, rat, etc. friendly area near yours]
- keep your chickens away from areas with cover [like high grass / forest edge] by at least 10 feet

Valuable info...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 12:31:25 AM »
"Guard Animals" is probably the best location for this, although the topic has been discussed at length in other subject areas.

In the past week or two the story about the 22 year old woman who was killed by her two Pit Bulls made the headlines, and it was so gruesome that it got more press than most stories of this nature.

Apparently she had taken them for a walk in the woods, and when she didn't return home within a reasonable time, her father searched and discovered that her dogs had mauled her to death and were eating on her body in the woods when he found her.

It turns out that the dogs had recently been moved to her parents home and that they weren't being fed as much as in the past.  Plus they were being kept in a crate. 

It boils down to this:  a hungry dog who is accustomed to being fed is still a hungry dog.  I wonder what would have happened if they hadn't attacked their owner?  Would it have been the neighbor's 2 year old?  It is truly a tragic story, but provides important food for thought for anyone thinking of letting your dog "go feral".

We've even joked about what our cat would do if he were over 100# instead of about 8#.  We'd probably be appetizers!  LOL

Officials say in the time leading up to attacking their owner, the dogs weren`t fed as regularly and were neglected.

Good points to be aware of...
One thing I totally believe, pits are bred to kill and will do things most dogs will not do.
There are hundreds of fatalities each year from pit bulls...

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 01:52:01 PM »

Good points to be aware of...
One thing I totally believe, pits are bred to kill and will do things most dogs will not do.
There are hundreds of fatalities each year from pit bulls...
We have a neighbor who lets his pit bull run free and we see him ("Puddinhead") on the road all the time where hubby jogs.  He is always friendly and even followed me partway down our driveway until I yelled at him repeatedly to go home.

Now, in spite of what I just wrote, I will NEVER defend the owners' right to let that dog run free.  Nor will I EVER trust Puddinhead, in spite of his friendly demeanor.  He is presumably well fed, but I don't want to meet him or any large dog, or group of dogs, when alone in the woods, and especially if any or all of those dogs is hungry.

I certainly do understand why there are more laws about Pit Bulls, as those laws are probably long overdue.  I feel dogs are domestic animals and there are probably a trillion or more on the planet, and they are slowly displacing wolves, coyotes, etc., because people place higher value on their carnivore pets than they do on the Ecology of Nature.

I know a woman about 20 or so miles from here who has over 400 acres and some kind of livestock including goats.  She has two guard dogs of some rare breed whose name I did not catch.  The dogs are huge, and are notorious for their killing abilities--even against mountain lions and bears.  The woman is quite proud that she lets her dogs out at night and they patrol her property killing anything they see that they deem a threat to the livestock.  Imagine what they would do in a survival situation where owner cannot buy feed.  Sorry for the rant.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 04:43:38 PM »
ilinda, another thing we need to be aware of, thanks for the reminder... dogs roaming loose either accidentally or on purpose as a security method by owners...

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 12:47:51 PM »
ilinda, another thing we need to be aware of, thanks for the reminder... dogs roaming loose either accidentally or on purpose as a security method by owners...
And here we go again--this just in from Jim Farmer's Daily Headlines today:
https://www.sott.net/category/4

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!