Author Topic: Attachment to the material world  (Read 5058 times)

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
Attachment to the material world
« on: September 12, 2010, 09:13:59 AM »
Sun Tzu, naturally, wanted to have the best strategic position at all times. But, even if a wonderful stone fortress was at the bottom of a hill or in a valley, he knew to take the high ground for military purposes, and use rotating visits for his men to enjoy whatever joys the fortress had to offer, such as a fine city and trading. It strategy required leaving, he would do so, in a heart beat, due to not having any connection to the things the 'material world' offered.  Many of us will have the same type of decision to make, in the future. If you refuse to move, because your house is so beautiful and comfortable, and it has a gourmet kitchen, and 4 bathrooms, etc..  We'll take my BMW, and leave the SUV, because it costs less. I'll take this shirt and those dress slacks, they cost more than the jeans and hiking boots in the closet.
   These are all "material objects" that will serve to end your life. You must be able to 'let go' of the material, and latch onto the useful. The price, or value of an object is not important. Value will be decided by how useful something will be. Essentials, such as food, water, and clothing/protection will be of the utmost importance. I wonder how many people might drown, living at the bottom of a mountain, but didn't want to let go of their house to go to high ground. What thoughts do you have about this?

noproblemo2

Re: Attachment to the material world
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:34:55 AM »
Vey well said, however there will be some cases in which health of a loved one will have to take precedence. ie they are unable to be moved, in those situations you have to be as prepared as you can for survival in place. That is the situation I am in here with DH .

8hertz

• Lifetime
  • Prolific Member
  • pax
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 10:59:08 AM »
Well said Ed. There hasn’t been much talk on this matter.

If we were to experience a 10.0 earthquake and that all that it is. Then I would say stock up with water, food, shelter and care for your love one and treasure/valuable. But unfortunately we are going to have earthquake, volcano, and solar storm, and mini ice age, and meteoroids with unknown timeframe. The storm may last month with an after effect of years.

You have to eliminate your WANT and focus on your needs.  The needs must serve as a instrument with multi-purpose and value. Tools must be useful and light.

1. Spiritual Self (Guidance, Health, and Strength/Courage)
2. Water (Travel, Replenishment, and Being able to locate new sources)
3. Food (Travel, Replenishment/Hunt, and Gardening of new)
4. Setup new community.

8hertz

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 07:58:17 PM »
Good input, 8Hz. (you might change to 12 or 13 hz soon) I especially relate to the travel and replenishment of water and food, until you can locate a community or area capable of supporting life.  ed

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 01:12:28 PM »
Yes, good ideas,
All The Best,
Yowbarb

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 05:50:50 PM »
I think this is an important topic.  I have had to learn the hard way how to let go of some of my "stuff" simply due to flooding issues.  In that first instance when you're upset and sad that you lost so much stuff, you have to decide are you materialistic, or do you realize what is truly important--like you're still alive, for instance.

I have been recently becoming more aware of a need to let go of my dependence on material things, getting new things, etc.  However, I know that I can never truly be 100% self sufficient, and that I actually do and will need new things once in a while.  It's still an area in my life I'm trying to resolve.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »
Most likely, we will all learn this lesson, before all is said and done.    ed

errrv

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 02:05:41 PM »
Ed, I'll take it one farther... We may face the choice of leaving EVERYTHING behind & escaping with our lives. This is a worst case scenario that we all need to face & think about. This, my friend, is why we must not only prepare mentally, but learn skills to keep us alive when we have nothing more than the items in our pockets.
Erv

family times41607

• none
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 04:07:10 PM »
  Well said erv.
  Things may go south, if I had to take my family, and my bag.  It would be tough.  I hope that,that never happens.  We would be ok for a few but not long.  It is very scary to thing about.  I may need a bigger bag, lol.  What if I was injured, or killed.  What would happen to my family?  We have all been training for awhile, but it would be hard for them.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 09:51:28 AM »
As much as I have tried to teach, I don't think the family will make it, unless I am there to complete the training, and overcoming the initial shock of an event happening.    ed

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 07:23:09 PM »
Ed, 
I thought we were all past this and it was a forgone conclusion.  It is kind of funny/sad, however you want to look at it, but we just bought a new flatscreen TV last weekend.  Me, personally, I did not see a new TV as a necessity on our list.  There was nothing wrong with the 32" we had except that it was old and the very top of the screen was starting to go out.  I would much rather have spent that money on something survival related, but, it was the price of doing business, so to speak.  Because my wife wanted a new, bigger television I barganed a new, semi-automatic pistol into the deal and so we now have both.  She got her TV and I got the last gun we will ever need.  As I write this, I am watching the new TV in the background but I have no attachment to it whatsoever.  It is nice to look at, but, it doesn't matter.  There was nothing wrong with our old TV.  Pretty much everything I look at nowdays doesn't matter, really.  I am about as detached from this world as I can be.  The only thing keeping me hanging on to this place is people, people I care about and I think I am supposed to be here to help. Let go of the material world friends.  Wherever you ultimately go, you will not be able to take your belongings with you.  I know full-well, I can't take my guns with me.  As much as I like to look at them and shoot them, I will leave them behind.  I only have them in prepareation of the craziness to come...  Wouldn't it be wonderful if I never had to use any of them?  That is my hope.  Peace friend.  JKB
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 07:09:45 AM »
We never want to have to use our protection, unless needed. And we hope it is never needed. I have personally gone over certain scenarios in my head, many times, trying to find another way to handle situations, without having to shoot. My efforts are almost totally fruitless, however.   ed

errrv

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 05:24:12 PM »
Yes, fortunately a few of us here have already had to shoot at other humans. When I came out of the middle east, I hoped I would never be in that position again. Defense is required. As long as that is how I handle things, then I keep my humanity.
Erv

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 07:44:28 AM »
Me also, Erv. Me also.    ed