Author Topic: WEAPONS  (Read 38611 times)

donnaseesthelite

• Trusted Member
    • Oakland Airport Transportation
WEAPONS
« on: September 25, 2010, 05:52:51 AM »
We have already got some bows.  I would prefer the cross bow, cause
the bow and arrows will take a long time to build up the strenght to
use it.  I prefer rifles and guns though, but with hunting season, the
prices are very high.  But with the bow and cross bows, my brother
and I have talked about getting the teens ready, and if we make it
"fun" for them, like competition between the boys and girls (he has 2
of each) we can basically train them without them knowing it.  Guns
are intimadating for them.  The teens think we are just crazy talking
about the future as we do now.  We used to talk about what college
they will be going to and that type of thing, but not any more..... 

Just some more of my thoughts, and wondering what others have to
say about this.

Donna

noproblemo2

Re: WEAPONS
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 06:29:36 AM »
Great idea Donna. That is my choice also as guns are illegal here, at least for the good guys... LOL

Frisky Robert

• Trusted Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
Bows offer an advantage in that they are a lot quieter.  Gun shots can be heard a long way.  It might be best to keep our location stealth. However, if your in a defensive situation that only warrents a gun, use it.   A .22 is not that loud compared to most other calibers. Even deer or bear can be taken down with a head shot using a .22, my father used to do it all the time.

I grew up in a family of country poachers. We learned how to get big game and avoid getting caught, sometimes with close calls! The old saying is true, never shoot twice. The sound of the 1st shot gets their attention, the second shot zeros in on your location because they are listening more carefully.
After all those years poaching and with "them" trying to catch us, we never got caught. Once, my brothers took a deer in the middle of a police stake out and got away. Good skills to have for a survival situation.
Start where we are
Use what we have
Do what we can

donnaseesthelite

• Trusted Member
    • Oakland Airport Transportation
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 06:29:46 PM »
Actually, I went to the local Trade Day (flea market - swap meet) today.  I was surprised at how easy it was to find weapons.  There was an older man who showed me and my brother a pistol, shot gun, and something else.  Of course he did not have them in plan sight but with a few questions he was willing to sell to us.  But he definatley wanted too much.  I guess due to hunting season.  We did buy a cross bow with a crank.  We will start practicing. 

We also bought a couple more hunting knives.  My brother thinks we have time, and he didn't want to put out that money yet....  Time is running out.  He tells me to slow down, but I just can not... 

I went to Lowes and did buy some more things, like 5 gallon buckets with lids to start storing foods.  They have an airtight seal, and I understand if I use some dry ice it will get ALL of the air out. 

I also got somet other things like duct tape and wind up flash lights and weather radio, ect.  I just can not sit around and wait til the last minute.  I was pricing wood burning stoves too. OMG.....  Just think how much they will cost in a few months.......

I think that I have to do more and more quickly.  Tomorrow I am going to go to another Trade Day and see what else I can find.  I am checking classified too, which I have never done before..

I have an URGENCY but my brother is telling me to slow down.  All I can say is when things start getting bad sooner than he thinks he will thank me that is for sure.

Donna

noproblemo2

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 06:50:39 PM »
Donna, you are doing fine, just follow your instincts and all will be ok. Make sure you have plenty of duct tape also to seal windows and doors against things.

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 12:44:45 PM »
"Ho-ray for the sounds of silence" nic cages character in con air...

any bullet based weapon can be silenced in a multitude of simple and effective ways and in the time after that will be something to know especially if your holing up in a urban area.

for urban dwellers find the 2L plastic soda drink bottles they don't bio degrade so finding them should be of relative ease. put water in it to the level where when holding it horizontal it wold not spill out by at least 1/2 an inch, duct tape the open end to end of gun and keep bottle and gun pointed down till use. once needed lift slowly so water doesn't go into barrel and fire, you will hear a woosh, and as long as theres some water in bottle it will keep bang quiet. bottle can be taped closed if entire bottom doesn't blow off and re used, and smaller plastic bottles will work with smaller guns, for some reasons bottles must be round as old milk jugs doesn't work and just made a mess...

for rural folks a good old fashioned potato, use the peeler or a knife to make a clear hole through without it being as big as the round, and then put on end of gun, only one shot per spud, but you can eat the remains if you don't mind the flavor of gun oil, i had a friend who for beers ate like 10 of these potatoes and felt just fine next day lol (in the name of science lol)

though i recommend if you can only have one weapon chose a shot gun either with a lading clip or double barrel and have a few boxes of both slugs and scatter shot , keep them alternated in clip or one in each barrel, for using a gun as a weapon this is the best route, rifles r best for hunting and sniping and hand guns are a hand protection as last resort in the time after unless you have a press and know how to make quality powder.
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Frisky Robert

• Trusted Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 12:56:15 PM »
Donna,
Harbor Freight Tools and Sportsmans guide both have a good wood stoves, just a few years ago they were about 1/3 less.

Frisky Robert
Start where we are
Use what we have
Do what we can

Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 02:20:14 PM »
Just remember, depending on how bad things get, the woods will be overran with people who don't have a clue as to hunting, safety, what a deer looks like, or which end the bullet comes out of.
The animal population will be hunted to nothing in a short time... and even then, people may and probably will try to take what you have. The woods will be a dangerous place to be.
Also, if society is gone, forest fires may destroy most of the forests and other hunting grounds, along with your retreat if you are going to be staying in the woods.

Amy Evans

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is never futile, just time consuming an
    • The Kolbrin, Planet-X and Nibiru Group
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 04:05:37 PM »
Crossbows will be the best; you might not want your position given away by using a gun.  Shotguns with a folding stock will work good for close defense, rifles for hunting ... always love a Winchester 30-30 myself ... hand guns for close defense, semi's can be a pain to keep clean, the revolver the best .. 38/357 mag not too hard on the wrist ... 45 a little hard, but more stopping power.  Use the KISS system.... keep it simple stupid ... handguns are not that heavy, rifles are ... you don't really have to aim with a shotgun, just point in the right direction, and shoot.  If I had my choice I'd stick with the revolver, easy to clean, and maintain, and a lever-action rifle, or shotgun

Ballestas será el mejor, es posible que no desea que su posición dada de distancia mediante el uso de un arma. Escopetas con una culata plegable será un buen trabajo para la defensa cercana, rifles de caza ... siempre el amor un Winchester 30-30 a mí mismo ... de armas de mano para la defensa cercana, semi puede ser un dolor de mantener limpio, el revólver el mejor .. 38/357 magnitud no demasiado duro en la muñeca ... un poco difícil de 45 años, pero más poder de parada. Utilice el sistema de KISS .... mantenerlo simple estúpido ... pistolas no son tan pesadas, fusiles ... usted realmente no tiene que apuntar con una escopeta, simplemente apunte en la dirección correcta, y disparar. Si yo pudiera elegir me metía con el revólver, fácil de limpiar y mantener, y un rifle de palanca de acción, o una escopeta
Amy Evans

Frisky Robert

• Trusted Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 12:42:08 PM »
Good predictive observation Icon, going into the woods will be most unprepared peoples reaction.  But I think it will not take long for most them to come to their end.  This would be sad.

On one survivalist blog it was noted that in an urban or suburban location we could cover and conceal the entire basement of a house and wait it out. If the cover was concrete, like at the basement ceiling the whole house could burn down and we could still be safe. The burt rubble would help to continue concealment. For some, this might be better than running to the hills only to discover everyone else is there too.

Stay hidden, stay quiet and prepare ahead.
Start where we are
Use what we have
Do what we can

noproblemo2

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 01:00:46 PM »
I totally concur with your views Frisky Robert.

noproblemo2

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 12:21:03 PM »
14 specific items that are very common that make effective weapons.  You’ll probably see, if not touch, all of them within the next 24 hours.  I’ve also included the particular style of strike you’ll want to use with each item.

1.       Shower curtain rod – puncture – Use it like a spear to focus your strike and extend your reach.  If you’re lucky, it will break with the first strike and you’ll get a pointy end to focus your next strike even more.  Don’t swing it…most shower curtain rods and clothes rods are fairly flimsy.

2.       Clothes rod – puncture – Use it like a spear…hopefully it breaks on the first use and you get a point.

3.       Sliding glass door rod –puncture – Use it like a spear.

4.       Towel with soap or a soap holder – impact – Take the towel, put the heavy object in the middle, fold the towel in half one way, fold it in half the other way & get ready to swing.  You can play with your folding methods to secure the heavy object better.

5.       Sock with soap, soap holder, battery – impact

6.       Pillowcase with soap, soap holder, battery – impact (or bed sheet, shirt, etc.)

7.       Ceramic toilet tank lid.  Break at an angle & use as a puncture weapon.  Hold it with both hands, thrust the pointy end at your attacker, and put your entire body behind the strikes.

8.       Fire extinguisher.  Spray them with the white stuff & hit them with the red thing.  I’m not sure who thought this up first, but the most colorful proponent of it is Clint Smith.  In short, fire extinguishers are great weapons…especially if you have the element of surprise.  I’m talking about the red metal ones…not the newer little plastic ones.  The red metal ones are heavy and strong enough to swing at a head and the bottom edge helps to focus strikes nicely.

9.       Floor lamp.  Use it as a spear.  Sooner or later the lamp part will break off, leaving you with a more focused impact point or it will stick in your attacker.  Lamps are kind of awkward because of the cord.  In training with them, I’ve had the lamp part break off, but still be connected by the cord.  The biggest problem with this is surprise—if you’re surprised when it happens, your attacker will gain an advantage.  If you just go with it and keep thrusting it at your attacker, you will gain an advantage.

10.   Butcher block.  Pointy knives for stabbing, serrated knives for slashing.  Got a knife that’s pointy AND serrated?  Stab with it.  In a restaurant, or hotel even a butter knife will help focus your strikes more tightly, increasing your penetration and chances of causing internal damage.

11.   Break off a wooden chair leg – puncture.  Don’t be surprised if you get slivers…possibly nasty slivers.

12.   Run at someone with all 4 legs of a chair aimed at them.  (should look like a diamond rather than a square)  Or, just thrust it at them with your arms and body weight.  You want the top leg aimed at their head and you really don’t care if they block or avoid it or not, because the bottom leg will hit them in the gut and you have a shot at hitting their solar plexus or bladder.  The important thing is to pile on additional aimed strikes after the first one until your attacker is non-functional.

13.   Lamp cord disconnected from lamp, stripped so you have bare wires, and plugged into a power source – electrocution

14.   Have a little bit of time…or coffee already made?  Hot water in the face can distract your opponent enough to be able to completely take them out of the fight.

Have any other common, everyday items that can quickly be used as weapons?  Share them by commenting below.

It’s important to remember that whether you have a firearm, another weapon, or just your body, you want to focus as much force as possible on the weakest parts of your attacker’s body.

Don’t punch someone in the gut when you can hit them in the solar plexus or the bladder.

Don’t punch an attacker on the hard bones of their face when you can simply crush their windpipe, strike their vagus nerve on the side of the neck, scratch their eyeball, or rupture their eardrum.  Aiming can be the difference between just making someone mad and taking your attacker out of the fight.

With the impact weapons I mentioned, targeting is vital.  Most people can take a few good strikes from a hard, fast moving object to the butt, legs, or arms, but not to the neck & head.  If your life depends on the effectiveness of your strikes, aim for places on the body where you’re attacker is vulnerable.

Cutting weapons are the same…targeting is key.

As a note on stabbing versus cutting, Roman Legions conquered the world by being willing to take cuts and give stabs.  Why?  Because the body is able to survive multiple HORRIBLE, vicious slashes across the body, but there are more than a dozen easy targets where a 2” stab will quickly take an attacker out of the fight.

With this being Halloween weekend, I’ll take the liberty of getting a little gory for a second.

Some of the easiest stabbing locations to remember?  Directly below the ribcage pointed upwards.  You’ve got a ring of great targets all around the body at the bottom of the ribcage, like the spleen, pancreas, liver, & kidneys.  If you’ve got something long and go through those first organs, you’ve got even better targets, like the lungs and heart.

This topic IS gruesome, and many people don’t like to think or talk about it.  Even if you’re a vegan pacifist who won’t swat a mosquito, I believe it’s important to know how to respond to a violent attacker coming after you or a loved one.  If you are unarmed and NEED to make an attacker non-functional as quickly, safely, and efficiently as possible, it’s important to know a handful of specific targets to strike.

Along with specific targets, it’s important to know the best ways to transfer as much force as possible through as small of a contact point as possible so that you can end the confrontation quickly…before it turns into an endurance event where you’re trading blows and taking damage
http://secretsofurbansurvival.com/483/improvised-weapons-the-election-and-finding-like-minded-preppers/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Secretsofurbansurvivalcom+%28SecretsOfUrbanSurvival.com%29&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 02:37:13 PM »
Great idea Donna. That is my choice also as guns are illegal here, at least for the good guys... LOL
Never a good idea to make it illegal for the good guys...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 02:40:26 PM »
Bows offer an advantage in that they are a lot quieter.  Gun shots can be heard a long way.  It might be best to keep our location stealth. However, if your in a defensive situation that only warrents a gun, use it.   A .22 is not that loud compared to most other calibers. Even deer or bear can be taken down with a head shot using a .22, my father used to do it all the time.

I grew up in a family of country poachers. We learned how to get big game and avoid getting caught, sometimes with close calls! The old saying is true, never shoot twice. The sound of the 1st shot gets their attention, the second shot zeros in on your location because they are listening more carefully.
After all those years poaching and with "them" trying to catch us, we never got caught. Once, my brothers took a deer in the middle of a police stake out and got away. Good skills to have for a survival situation.

This page offers some solutions to the noise problem.

Gun Silencers for Rifles, on cal. 22 Rifle in Action.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 03:53:12 PM by Yowbarb »

alaskanwinter

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 07:08:01 PM »
One thing I like about this site is how it minimizes the violence aspect of a crisis situation.  But is still needs to be talked about.  I would say be prepared but don't obsess.

I just have to laugh at the coffee suggestion.  I have told a story about that to many people over the years.  I was working on an industrial painting crew and the boss was short handed so he hired a no good with felony warrants.  Just a totally violent individual that didn't need to be in the general populace.  We had a meet up early in the morning to car pool to Kennicot mine.  I was stuck waiting for the ride with this guy in the cold and dark. 

I always boiled a pot of coffee in the early AM and kept it in my thermos.  It was too hot to drink but I put on a little show just for him.  Every time he looked away I poured my cup in the snow and poured another cup.  He was the kind of guy that would attack someone for pretty much no reason whatesoever.  I figured if he came at me it would be over in seconds.  Luckily I never had to use my coffee defense but I am sure it was part of the reason he never went after me and did go after many,many other crew members.  He had a bunch of warrants so he wouldn't have had a leg to stand on but at the same time I didn't want to lose my job by angering the boss so it was what I felt a pretty innovative solution to a bad situation.  I think he knew what I was doing so he left me alone.

And yes crosbows are great weapons.  But please remember they are absolutely not a toy.  They will go through both sides of a car and keep going so know what you are dealing with.  Bows are good too but much bulkier.

The only guns really worth owning are a twenty two and a shotgun.  If you live in an area that doesn't allow guns consider moving.  It is my experience that pretty much wherever you go in this crazy world the police are slow to respond and uncaring when they do.