Author Topic: Australia and New Zealand - Human interest news  (Read 1485 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Australia and New Zealand - Human interest news
« on: December 28, 2009, 11:34:12 AM »
Goodbye Mick ...Rock In Peace !! December 22th 2009

Mick Cocks images - http://www.zimbio.com/Mick+Cocks/pictures/pro
http://g8.undercoverhd.com/imgsresized/article/090415RoseTattoo_MickCocks_3.jpg
Dec 22 2009 Mick Cocks Australian musician has passed away from liver cancer

Rose Tattoo - Remedy (Live at Wacken '07)
Rose Tattoo - Remedy (Live at Wacken '07)  Mick Cock is up there too.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 01:50:47 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Australia - Human interest, news
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 07:04:08 AM »
Steve Roach - Australian Dawn
miikael3d

Steve Roach - Australian Dawn

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Australia - Human interest, music videos, news
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 09:02:49 PM »
Andrew McFarlane

- Yowbarb

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:51:51 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Australia - Human interest, music videos, news
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 07:08:53 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Evison

http://www.nzonscreen.com/content/images/0002/9899/Pat-Evison-Key-Profile.jpg.161x142.jpg

Pat Evison
Born Helen June Patricia Blamires
2 June 1924(1924-06-02)
Dunedin, New Zealand
Died 30 May 2010 (aged 85)
Wellington, New Zealand
Occupation Actress
Spouse(s) Roger Evison

Dame Helen June Patricia Evison, DBE, (n

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Australia and New Zealand - Human interest news
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 01:56:05 PM »
Paul Dobbs, 39, New Zealand motorcycle racer, race crash.
Paul Dobbs (c. 1971
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 01:59:37 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 01:58:01 PM »
Paul Dobbs racing photos: That's Dobbs, out front.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 05:21:41 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 02:21:48 PM »
Martin Loicht, center in photo
He was also killed June 10 at the same race ...
http://files.roadracing.webnode.cz/200007192-dd2e6de280/mistr%C3%A1%C4%8Dek%2009.4.JPG

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 05:44:24 AM »
By now a lot of you have heard of the mine explosion in NZ, north of Greymouth.
First the youtube video, then coverage from CNN.
Yowbarb

Miners missing after New Zealand explosion itnnews

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzoZmf8YsME

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/11/19/new.zealand.coal.mine/index.html

27 miners missing after New Zealand explosion  By the CNN Wire Staff
November 19, 2010 7:56 a.m. EST

CNN) -- Twenty-seven miners were missing hours after an underground explosion on New Zealand's west coast, company officials said Friday.

Two other miners had emerged from the Pike River coal mine in Atarau, authorities said.

About three hours after the blast, police said no fatalities had been reported.

"It is absolutely awful," Pike River CEO Peter Whittall told TV New Zealand. "At the moment, our real focus is on our people down there."

Rescuers held off going into the mine, trying to make sure vents were clear to avoid a dangerous buildup of gas, police spokeswoman Barbara Dunn said. A power outage might have compromised ventilation inside the mine.

"They're itching to get in there and start looking for other people and a bit frustrated at having to stand and wait," she said.

The two miners who had surfaced arrived at the Grey Base Hospital, an hour away, with nonlife-threatening injuries, TV New Zealand said. They had moderate blast injuries, with one being treated in the emergency room and the other in a ward. Both were up "walking and talking," police said.

Emergency crews interviewed the two miners, trying to determine what happened. The cause of the explosion was not immediately known, police said.

According to early accounts, an electrician went into the mine to investigate a power outage and discovered a driver who had been blown off his loader about 1,500 meters (0.9 mile) into the mine shaft.

A special mine rescue team was among the many emergency workers on the scene.

A large group of family and friends of the miners had started gathering at the mine, TV New Zealand reported.

Communications underground were "terminated" when the explosion happened, CEO Whittall said.

The entrance to the mine is about 2.2 kilometers along and then branches out, police said.

Smoke hung outside the mine, trees were charred and a hut had been blown off a hill, TV New Zealand said.

There are two routes out of the mine, Whittall said. Unlike the Chilean mine where 33 miners were rescued in mid-October, the Pike River mine has steep terrain, and the shafts run horizontally into the hill, not vertically into the ground, he told TV New Zealand.

The remote mine is about 50 kilometers (31 miles) northeast of Greymouth, police said.

.........................................................................................
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 06:01:30 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 06:07:51 AM »
Explosion Rips Through New Zealand Mine In Atarau 27 Workers Unaccounted For
PROTECTOR1973REBORN

VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xQSUyOGeJg

PROTECTOR1973REBORN | November 19, 2010 | As many as 27 workers are missing after an underground explosion ripped through a coal mine in New Zealand - and unconfirmed reports sugggest one person may have been killed.
Emergency services are racing to the Pike River Coal Processing Plant near the town of Atarau on the west coast of the south island after police received reports of an explosion.

Describing the situation as "not good", Local Mayor Tony Kokshoorn told Radio New Zealand that 25 or 30 people at the mine were unaccounted for.

Two men have been able to return to the surface with minor injuries, according to reports.

Police said workers were in the mine at the time of the blast.

Sky News' Australia correspondent Ian Woods said the mine was in an isolated area but and rescue crews were on their way.

Two rescue helicopters and 10 ambulances were sent to the mine, according to St John Ambulance Service.

The mine's management has said up to 35 workers were underground when the explosion occurred but two miners made it to the surface, saying that they had lost communication with the others.

The mine reaches 1.4 miles underground and produces high-grade coal for export that is used primarily in steel production.

Pike River has been operating since 2008, mining a seam that holds the largest-known deposit of hard coking coal in New Zealand, with 58.5 million tons, according to its website.

Pike River says its coal preparation plant at the site is the largest and most modern in New Zealand and processes up to 1.5 million tons a year of raw coal.

The mine is not far from the site of one of New Zealand's worst mining disasters - an underground explosion in state-owned Strongman Mine in 1967 killed 19 workers

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 07:53:50 PM »
09 December

Jacin Sinclair, 38, Australian rugby league player. [8] (body found on this date)

http://www.ignitionnews.com.au/2010/12/jacin-sinclair-former-nrl-player-died-at-home/ 

Jacin Sinclair former NRL player died at home
Posted by Zane Burnard Breaking News, Featured News, Sport Saturday, December 11th, 2010A sorrowful event stunned the rugby league community: former NRL star Jacin Sinclair died at age 38. His body was found in his Woolwich apartment, in Sydney, on December 9.

Police arrived there at 4PM after a concerned relative contacted them. A crime scene investigation started immediately and it finished only at late night. During the investigation detectives asked all of the neighbors in the street, trying to figure out his last movements.

They found out that Jacin Sinclair had not been seen for days. Because of this it is believed that he died in his apartment several days ago. However his death was not suspicious. Police said a post-mortem examination has to be carried out to tell his cause of death. Also they did not officially confirm his identity but there is no doubt that the body is Mr. Sinclair’s.

In former teammates point of view he was a ”gifted player” with “untapped ability”. Sinclair played 80 first grade game with Balmain, South Sydney and the Sydney City Roosters. Everyone who knew him described him as “a very respectful an hard worker player”.

“ Sinclair’s death is an absolute tragedy”. NRL chief executive David Gallop said. Paul Sironen, who played at Balmain alongside Sinclair, thinks the same. ”All of the old Balmain players are very upset,” he said. ”Jacin was always easy to get on with … He was a terrific footballer, but he was compared to some greats of the past when he was young and that pressure made it hard for him.”

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 12:29:03 PM »
CNN

Australian flood teen's sacrifice to save brother
By Bryony Jones, CNN
January 13, 2011 2:45 p.m. EST

Jordan Rice (inset) was swept to his death when floodwaters surrounded his family's car in Toowoomba.

(CNN) -- A teenager who was scared of water drowned in the Queensland floods after begging rescuers
to save his younger brother first.

Jordan Rice, 13, and his mother Donna, 43, were swept away as a wall of water hit the town of Toowoomba on Monday afternoon.

His family has hailed the youngster's selfless actions.

"Jordan can't swim and is terrified of water," his father, John Tyson, told local newspaper The Toowoomba Chronicle. "But when the man
went to rescue him, he said 'save my brother first.'

"I can only imagine what was going on inside to give up his life to save his brother, even though he was petrified of water. He is our little hero."

Rice was taking Jordan and his 10-year-old brother Blake to buy school uniforms when the family car became stuck in floodwaters.

As the tide rose around them, the mother-of-four made a desperate call to the emergency services, and the trio clambered on to the roof of
their stranded vehicle, before passer-by Warren McErlean stopped to help.

"I called out for some ropes and a guy gave me some ropes and I tied those together and just headed
out towards this car," he told the Nine Network.

"But the water just kept coming up and by the time I got near this car it just swept me off my feet.

"The mum put the boy on his back and bought him across to me and by that time I grabbed the boy and
the water kept coming up... it was too much water and there was just no time. The tension took up on
the rope and I had to let it go.

"He was just pleading with me to please save my mum, please save my mummy - he was screaming to
save his mum.

"It's terrible. I just kept telling the boy it was going to be alright and it wasn't," a distraught McErlean explained.

"I'm just very sorry for himself and his family that we couldn't do some more and get them out."

A Facebook page set up as a tribute to Jordan has garnered more than 150,000 supporters, and has
been filled with messages of sympathy and support for his father and brothers Blake, Kyle, 16, and
Chris, 22.

The death toll from the Queensland floods has risen to 15, and there are fears it could grow further as
the waters recede in the days to come, with some 70 people still listed as missing.

Dozens still missing as floodwaters peak in Brisbane

"We still have a number of families who don't know where their children are, who don't know where
their loved ones are," said Queensland Premier Anna Bligh.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 07:44:10 AM »
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10699989

Joy as missing daughter gets in touch
By Joanne Carroll
5:30 AM Sunday Jan 16, 2011
A Taranaki mother was overwhelmed with joy yesterday to hear the voice of her 10-year-old daughter, who had been missing in the Queensland floods since Monday.
Rachel Carley, of New Plymouth, spent an agonising five days waiting to hear from her daughter Kassidy Bauer, caught in one of the worst hit areas in Queensland's Lockyer Valley. The little girl had been on a six-week Christmas trip visiting her father, Anthony Bauer, when flood waters ripped through his farm on Monday.
The flood cut power and phone lines, destroyed roads and bridges. Thousands of people were evacuated, and many of the confirmed dead and missing are from the Lockyer Valley.
Carley said she had spent a harrowing week frantic unable to reach her ex-partner or her daughter. Yesterday afternoon, she was over the moon to get the call from Kassidy.
Carley's brother Daniel also lives in the flood zone, in Toowoomba.
"He works for the council and has been road clearing and pulling bodies out of cars. He's had a terrible time. He told us water was gushing into his house but he is OK," she said.
By Joanne Carroll |
New Zealand Herald

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 05:03:55 PM »
One good news item in all this, an infant was found safe and reunited with parents,
Yowbarb

Deadly Australian Floods Spread South  2:36
FoxNewsChannel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Y0Ln_RiQc

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 08:42:30 AM »
Australia's south expects floods AlJazeeraEnglish
January 24, 2011 | Towns in Victoria in southern Australia are preparing for the worst as flood waters head their way.

Meanwhile, in Queensland in the north of the country, where around 30 people died in the recent floods, things are slowly returning to normal.

Al Jazeera's Azhar Sukri reports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-alaARKEAUU

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 08:45:08 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/01/23/australia.floods/index.html

Australian treasurer: Economic toll from flooding 'will be enormous'
By the CNN Wire Staff January 24, 2011 6:48 a.m. EST

(CNN) -- Flooding in Australia has affected more than 3 million people, making it one of the costliest disasters in the nation, the federal treasurer said Sunday.

The cost of the damage surpasses past tragedies like major bushfires two years ago and floods in the 1970s, Treasurer Wayne Swan said.

.............[STORY CONTINUES]