Author Topic: Chickens  (Read 14523 times)

chaunska

Re: Chickens
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 04:39:31 PM »
First off, if you can figure out a way to have the chickens, you must also be respectful of your neighbors by putting up a fence or somehow containing the chickens.  Chickens can fly over a fence if their wings aren't clipped.   As a matter of fact, chickens can fly just as well as pheasants.   They will crap all over the place if left to roam....sidewalks, roofs, cars that are under them when the roost, etc.   So, containment is respectful.   Also, clip their wings if you don't want them up in trees and roofs at night.   They will hide their eggs if they are allowed.   We have had chickens most of my life, so I speak from experience.   Also, consider the breed of chicken you want.   Rhode Island Reds lay nice large brown eggs, but they are also the most cannibalistic of the chicken breeds.   I like Buff Orpingtons.   They are sweet and lay good brown eggs.    As far as beekeeping, find a local beekeeping organization and go to several meetings and try to work with a beekeeper.  Beekeeping requires some experience and this is a good place to start.   We have bees too.   You have to be careful and mindfull of their attitudes because they can become africanized.   When that starts, you need to replace the queen.  We have had to do this a few times in the last 10 yrs or so in some of our hives.

denasfarm

• Trusted Member
  • Bugged out and Bugging in!
    • Unique Titanium
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 07:00:20 PM »
We have had chickens for years and years. If you want to pull them off as pets buy a Cutsie breed like Silkies, Frizzles, or Sizzles (They all lay eggs). Dont keep a rooster unless you want to hatch chicks and if you do keep one you can keep it quiet by putting him in a dark place until a decent hour  7,8 9am... My boys (Oh 7 or so assorted breeds) Start crowing around 5am. If they crow earlier or at night you better run out the door and see whats going on, somethings after them!!!
Pine shavings changed frequently keeps the odor away. (Cedar is toxic)
Keep all feed up to prevent rodents. Some of my birds have been with us for 8 years and yes they still lay daily!

This is a Silkie Roo...This breed has hairlike Fluff instead of feathers...and They cant fly!! Mine are pet quality Silkies. Show Quality birds of this breed cannot see for the fluff.

Lavendar Silkie Hens
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:40:44 AM by Yowbarb »

denasfarm

• Trusted Member
  • Bugged out and Bugging in!
    • Unique Titanium
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 07:06:45 PM »
Check your local laws. I'm my town, you can have 6 chickens in city limits. Lots of folks have chickens & goats for milk & eggs. Most people don't know about it.
Erv

This is the other thing! Dont ask permission and Dont tell anyone what you are planning on doing! At one point we lived in an upscale neighborhood. 4 houses down from the country club and I had 30 chickens (Silkies) Hidden behind the garage! They cant Fly over a standard fence and only a few close freinds knew about them! Later we moved and had over 300 birds but thats another story!

Now Guineas, Turkeys, Geese and even Quail are LOUD.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 07:19:47 PM »
Check your local laws. I'm my town, you can have 6 chickens in city limits. Lots of folks have chickens & goats for milk & eggs. Most people don't know about it.
Erv

This is the other thing! Dont ask permission and Dont tell anyone what you are planning on doing! At one point we lived in an upscale neighborhood. 4 houses down from the country club and I had 30 chickens (Silkies) Hidden behind the garage! They cant Fly over a standard fence and only a few close freinds knew about them! Later we moved and had over 300 birds but thats another story!

Now Guineas, Turkeys, Geese and even Quail are LOUD.

Great ideas. I feel this is doable, quite possibly even in a situation like a nursing home or hospital next door -
as long as she has fertile hens and no roosters. At least no roosters for that location. In the future, yes.
Good tip on trying to keep roosters quiet, though.
Thanks Deanasfarm!  ;)
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 09:53:36 AM »
We have had chickens for years and years. If you want to pull them off as pets buy a Cutsie breed like Silkies, Frizzles, or Sizzles (They all lay eggs). Dont keep a rooster unless you want to hatch chicks and if you do keep one you can keep it quiet by putting him in a dark place until a decent hour  7,8 9am... My boys (Oh 7 or so assorted breeds) Start crowing around 5am. If they crow earlier or at night you better run out the door and see whats going on, somethings after them!!!
Pine shavings changed frequently keeps the odor away. (Cedar is toxic)
Keep all feed up to prevent rodents. Some of my birds have been with us for 8 years and yes they still lay daily!

This is a Silkie Roo...This breed has hairlike Fluff instead of feathers...and They cant fly!! Mine are pet quality Silkies. Show Quality birds of this breed cannot see for the fluff.

Lavendar Silkie Hens

Denasfarm I just renamed one Topic,  "Keeping your pets and domestic animals safe during cataclysms"
Started by Yowbarb « 1 2 3 »  Link: http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=2970.0

The latest posts are some of my ideas about how to quickly get the chickens and other domestic creatures
into an underground shelter fast...in case of emergency.

I figure you have already thought about how to do these things... Just had some ideas, so I
posted them,

All The Best,
Yowbarb

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »
Thanks for the advice on chickens!  I don't have room to keep any now, but will think of getting chicks sometime in the future (probably to transport with me).

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice on chickens!  I don't have room to keep any now, but will think of getting chicks sometime in the future (probably to transport with me).

I know what you mean, even with a yard it would be tough to get chickens started now.
I like your idea of transporting some chicks.
Let us know if that involves some care and preparation. (I am not an expert but want to learn too.)
All The Best,
Yowbarb

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 03:31:21 PM »
I liked the playhouse turned into a chicken coop!  That was cute.  I've thought of keeping a few chickens.  I guess I'll have to ask what the regulations are in my area.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 07:01:57 AM »
I'm thinking about it too.  I don't know how I'll get around the zoning though!  Personally, I think they'll just have to deal with it!  (I'm such a rebel)  ;)

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 08:32:19 AM »
I've heard that too about naming chickens, then they are considered pets, not Sunday dinner.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 08:33:39 AM »
I'm thinking about it too.  I don't know how I'll get around the zoning though!  Personally, I think they'll just have to deal with it!  (I'm such a rebel)  ;)

I suppose, nothing ventured, nothing gained...I wish you luck.  ;)
One of my main concerns would be how to quickly grab them all up and safely transport to the bugout location....
The only solution I can come up with (and it is a solution to several problems) is to plug someone into the land when it is purchased. A trustworthy person who will be part of the survival group when it goes into the underground or domes. The person who is staying on the land would set up pens and shelters and then receive the domestic animals and pets, being responsible for them. Also responsible for survival of the live plants, trees in pots and all... which would have to be shuttled into a secured, partly buried shipping container shelter, in the event of high winds, fire etc. One idea I had was if there can only be one container the domestic animals, pets and plants could share the space...would have to have some partitions...Perhaps it could have a door adjoining the human shelter... which could also be connected up to an underground food and supply room. Anyway the point is, the chickens and other valuable creatures will need to be safeguarded ....
Yowbarb
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:00:55 AM by Yowbarb »

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 09:10:27 AM »
I thought I would name them things like, Ginger, Prissy, stuff like that so it looks like they are really just pets.  BTW, I sent an email a few minutes ago asking about the zoning for chickens and bee hives too.  We'll see what hoops I'll have to jump through in a few days I guess.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 11:03:31 AM »
I thought I would name them things like, Ginger, Prissy, stuff like that so it looks like they are really just pets.  BTW, I sent an email a few minutes ago asking about the zoning for chickens and bee hives too.  We'll see what hoops I'll have to jump through in a few days I guess.

That's good maybe you can post what you find...just a general idea. Probably different in each area.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:44:29 AM by Yowbarb »

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 07:46:16 AM »
I would think it would be different in each area.  I'm banking on since we are in a semi-rural area, and there are working farms within a mile or two of me, that that would be OK enough for me and a few chickens.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »
I would think it would be different in each area.  I'm banking on since we are in a semi-rural area, and there are working farms within a mile or two of me, that that would be OK enough for me and a few chickens.

I think you will luck out on that.
Just from my own experience, whenever we have lived in semi rural surroundings we always have pens and chickens nearby, walking distance...