Author Topic: Stocking up on the cheap  (Read 15361 times)

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Stocking up on the cheap
« on: April 20, 2011, 08:07:34 AM »
Ways to find things for little or no cost.

Glass jars and 5 gal. food safe plastic buckets - Check restaurants in your area most just throw this stuff out.

5 gallon buckets - again check restaurants most use these for sanitizer in dish machines (not food safe but could be use to hold water for sanitation)

Wooden pallet's - Most big box stores recycle but drive behind some stores in your area and if you see any pallets stop and ask to haul them away.

Old freezers/ refrigerators - check dump sites or refrig/freezer maint. people and use their trash to hide you stash. (bury and use as root cellar) make sure you child proof or lock it.

If you eat out a lot get to know the Manager at your local dinner maybe you could get them to buy some bulk items at their cost. (50lb potatoes, onions, case's of #10 can items green beans, corn, etc.) My cost for 50lbs of #2 potatoes at this time is $13.13 and $20.84 for 50lbs of dry Pinto beans.

Good Will/Salvation Army stores just today I got a SS 7" fry pan, SS tea kettle, and a bbq grill grate for under $6.00.

We just need to open our eyes when we are out and about and say is that trash and how could I use it.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Stocking up on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:23:17 AM »
Good ideas, thanks.  ;)

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:51:36 AM »
Lets add Pawn Shops and keep in mind you might be able to haggle to get a lower price. If they buy it for $10 and ask $20 you might be able to offer $17 and get it.

#10 cans take an empty can drill 7 holes  around the can about 1 inch from the top and bottom total 14 holes and you have a make shift camp stove. Take tin snipe and make 2 cuts (1 across from the other at top of can fold back with pliers presto a place to hang you kabob.

Public Libraries Soft back books 50 cent Hard back $1  (find some of those how to books)

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:17:09 PM »
"Public Libraries Soft back books 50 cent Hard back $1  (find some of those how to books)"

I got an Army survival manual that way a few months ago.
(Cost me $2 tho)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 11:17:18 PM »
"Public Libraries Soft back books 50 cent Hard back $1  (find some of those how to books)"

I got an Army survival manual that way a few months ago.
(Cost me $2 tho)

The printed word may be very valuable sometime soon.
Any kind of know - how and how - to will be very much needed...
Thanks for your ideas,
Yowbarb

steviecarrick6

• Trusted Member
stock up now!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 05:11:43 AM »
just the other day a falling tree knocked out our areas electricity supply. I had the dinner on the electric stove at the time! I was able to rescue the moment because i have back up - battery powered radio and a portable gas stove - all part of my `readyness`.  It made me quickly realise how vunerable we can be without electric.  So in this frame of mind I stepped up my stash of food supplies - obviously stuff with long dates, bags of long grain rice - pasta - etc etc. and also 5 gallon drums of water - and jerry can of diesil all ready to put into our small camper van anytime. I say dont leave your food stash plans too long - my instincts tell me later this year foodshops everywhere will have empty shelves. I have visions of armed gangs breaking down peoples doors to get into your kitchen.   this will be a dangerous time for people who have the vision of what is to come - this is why i stash my foodstuffs away - can you imagine how the blind sheep will react if they knew i had fresh water and food!!   I`m not sure if anyone has touched on these food issues in this way before - stock up now - and put your plans in place - were in for one hell of a bumpy ride !!     stephen
there are none so deaf as those who do not want to hear.. . . nor none so blind that do not wish to see ..

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: stock up now!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 07:43:47 AM »
If you have the land time and money bore holes for re-rod into a concrete slab every eight inches use a Hilti or you will be there for days just drilling holes place concrete blocks and mortar after two rows fill with concrete use 4' rods add more rods to the wet mix at four rows high to overlap re-rod until height desired is reached add sand bags to the wall inside, use I-beams spaced every two feet at the top plus four sheets of 3/4" ply wood and 3' of fill on top of that it will stop anything ordinary people have including tungsten 30-06 rounds with ease. Stagger your entrance to cut down on Gamma radiation and have a hydraulic ram to close the door from a used 12 volt man lift it will have a 5' stroke per telescoping stage at least. you can also build a shelter within your shelter for the possible CME to come use the same process normally you would want four inches of lead but the inside shelter should be safe with just one inch of lead  one inch of lead is very heavy pour 12"X6"X1" molds then melt them together in place you will never be able to lift a large sheet or so I have heard, also build this underground to start with. The add on's to this can be endless for security air filtration storage etc. etc. the material will weigh dozens of tons for a 500sq. Ft. area and I feel that may not be enough protection. Just make sure you can get to your shelter how ever you make it.

P.S. you do not want to let anyone know where you have built your shelter because people will show up in mass to redistribute your stuff my family does not even know where but will be welcome, when the time comes they will know. Build it in the woods out of site out of mind it is cheaper to buy land with a junk condemned house then empty land look for bank sales there have been a few of these lately, park a camper there while you build it. It would be great if you could find one with a Fifties fall out shelter already there and then beef it up a little. This post is getting to long but it could be a book if it was all posted and it will not be.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 12:27:08 AM »
Some ideas these have probably been posted elsewhere:
Wal Mart, COSTCO, Dollar Stores, Dollar Tree stores, Big Lots; MREs and canned goods and water from ebay they have to make sure it is fresh enough. The Sellers on ebay get rated so taht is one safeguard or help.
If you google truckloads of food, surplus etc you might find an outlet for goods.
Amish, Mennonites, other similar groups sell food they grown a lot of wonderful food and sell foods (done properly in jars.) If you are fortunate enough to be in the same area they have fresh and canned produce for sale in their little food stands and shops,
Yowbarb

Amish:

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:29:09 AM by Yowbarb »

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 03:42:57 AM »
Yard Sales, flea markets and Auctions are also great places to find things dirt cheap.  Last year I came across a yard sale where the owner had hiked the Appalachian trail and I got his small cook stove, and backpack for 25% of the cost of brand new!  This year so far, I have found over a dozen ball canning jars for an average price of 10-25 cents each.  At local auctions I've picked up sleeping bags, a shot gun and junk silver at great prices too, just to name a few.  And it's not always used stuff either!  Books at yard sales are also usually very inexpensive.  And there is great fun to be had in the hunt and haggling!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 07:43:44 AM »
Yard Sales, flea markets and Auctions are also great places to find things dirt cheap.  Last year I came across a yard sale where the owner had hiked the Appalachian trail and I got his small cook stove, and backpack for 25% of the cost of brand new!  This year so far, I have found over a dozen ball canning jars for an average price of 10-25 cents each.  At local auctions I've picked up sleeping bags, a shot gun and junk silver at great prices too, just to name a few.  And it's not always used stuff either!  Books at yard sales are also usually very inexpensive.  And there is great fun to be had in the hunt and haggling!

Good ideas!

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 08:05:40 AM »

I never thought about looking for canning jars in a yard sale.  I'll have to keep an eye open now!  This is the time of year I start stocking up on them.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »
'scuse it have posted about Ebay a few different places.
A big resource. Right now there is sn auction on some MREs.
this is just one of them.
- Yowbarb

Ebay Auction now 4 hours left. It is 5:40 PM EDT now.
Enter in search: MRE. MRE lot pops up go there.  - Yowbarb
..........................................................................................
US $229.01 
[ 19 bids ]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-CASES-OF-MRES-MRE-ALL-WITH-2015-INSPECTION-DATES-LOT-/120881908223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c251f89ff

4 CASES OF MRE'S, MRE, ALL WITH 2015 INSPECTION DATES LOT

2 A AND 2 B CASE..CANT BEAT THE PRICE

Time left as of the time of this post:  4h 20m  (Mar 24, 201219:05:29 PDT)

Shipping anywhere in US about $80
Seller information
Member id area-23 ( Feedback Score Of 1906)
99.1% Positive feedback .....

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: stock up now!
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 04:11:14 PM »
If you have the land time and money bore holes for re-rod into a concrete slab every eight inches use a Hilti or you will be there for days just drilling holes place concrete blocks and mortar after two rows fill with concrete use 4' rods add more rods to the wet mix at four rows high to overlap re-rod until height desired is reached add sand bags to the wall inside, use I-beams spaced every two feet at the top plus four sheets of 3/4" ply wood and 3' of fill on top of that it will stop anything ordinary people have including tungsten 30-06 rounds with ease. Stagger your entrance to cut down on Gamma radiation and have a hydraulic ram to close the door from a used 12 volt man lift it will have a 5' stroke per telescoping stage at least. you can also build a shelter within your shelter for the possible CME to come use the same process normally you would want four inches of lead but the inside shelter should be safe with just one inch of lead  one inch of lead is very heavy pour 12"X6"X1" molds then melt them together in place you will never be able to lift a large sheet or so I have heard, also build this underground to start with. The add on's to this can be endless for security air filtration storage etc. etc. the material will weigh dozens of tons for a 500sq. Ft. area and I feel that may not be enough protection. Just make sure you can get to your shelter how ever you make it.

P.S. you do not want to let anyone know where you have built your shelter because people will show up in mass to redistribute your stuff my family does not even know where but will be welcome, when the time comes they will know. Build it in the woods out of site out of mind it is cheaper to buy land with a junk condemned house then empty land look for bank sales there have been a few of these lately, park a camper there while you build it. It would be great if you could find one with a Fifties fall out shelter already there and then beef it up a little. This post is getting to long but it could be a book if it was all posted and it will not be.
1969quart0 I forgot to acknowledge this post. Even though it could also be pasted in the shelter topics this is an OK place too...This is partly about safeguarding the food supply once you have it.
Thanks,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 04:14:26 PM »
Anyone have more ideas on "Stocking up on the cheap?" I mean mainly bulk survival foods water.
(We already have a cheap canned goods topic) but anything you know on stocking up please post
it here.
Also ideas on finding foods in the aftertimes...
- Yowbarb

cbeyer64

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 09:31:26 PM »
I think I will stock up on some camelbacks.  They can hold up to 1.5L of water.  We used to use these in the Army and I think they still do.  It is a lot easier to carry it on your backs than carrying a water bottle.  You can also find it on Ebay as well.  Also, I did find a job, working full time, yay!!!!  I plan to get on board with all of you and start stocking up.  Excited!!!  Now after reading a lot of posts on here, I now know what to look for.  I think I will also stock up on dried fruits as well. 

Chandra