Author Topic: Stocking up on the cheap  (Read 16247 times)

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: Stocking up on the cheap
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 02:56:19 AM »
I just found a great book that just made my top 5, it is called passport to survival by Esther Dickey written in 1969 a old school survivalist lady it is simple to read and the info. it contains is unbelievable if you have this and a storage of wheat, salt, honey and powdered milk and follow her directions you can live fairly well without being that boring I did not believe it either. You have to get this book if you can find it, I found mine on ebay. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:51:10 PM by 1969quartz0 »

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 09:28:27 AM »
Anyone have more ideas on "Stocking up on the cheap?"

I don't know the geographical range of no-frill Aldi stores,  but yesterday I went up and down the aisles of the local branch and picked up a full bag of non-perishable items not requiring cooking for $21.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 04:34:58 PM »
I love Aldi's!  We have them here in PA, I shop there atleast once a month.  Also, very similar that just came to our neighborhood is The Bottom Dollar food stores.  They are excellent as well.

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 07:11:32 PM »
Thanks for the heads up about Aldi stores I found 1 listed about 1 hour from my house.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 04:15:43 PM »
Anyone have more ideas on "Stocking up on the cheap?"

I don't know the geographical range of no-frill Aldi stores,  but yesterday I went up and down the aisles of the local branch and picked up a full bag of non-perishable items not requiring cooking for $21.

The first time I went to one was in Macclesfield, England in 2004. I had never heard of them until then. Had not seen on in the US until the past couple years. I think they might have started in Europe or the UK. ?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 10:49:16 AM »
I just found a great book that just made my top 5, it is called passport to survival by Esther Dickey written in 1969 a old school survivalist lady it is simple to read and the info. it contains is unbelievable if you have this and a storage of wheat, salt, honey and powdered milk and follow her directions you can live fairly well without being that boring I did not believe it either. You have to get this book if you can find it, I found mine on ebay.

I don't know if I acknowledged this enough. This looks like a good reference book,
so thanks,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 10:43:20 AM »
I haven't tried this site yet. Looks like it could be a good thing. A possible way to stock up on goods to be stored at a survival location.
All sorts of merchandise you go on there and bid...
- Yowbarb

https://www.quibids.com/en/landing/index.php?c=us&mb=cs&sub=72r_bat_hm   Qui bids

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 05:24:46 PM »
I posted this in another area but I guess it would be helpful here also since I started the topic 2.5 years ago.  :)

As well as what to purchase use coupons if possible Bi-Lo just ran a 3 day special on Hormel Chili @ .99 a can & I used a coupon for .55 off on 2 cans. Total cost to me 1.98-.55 then -.55 since they double the coupon= .88 or .44 a can.

Even better they were out of stock on 1 of the types so I got a rain check for next time. ;D

Dollar General is selling some of their Family Pantry items at 2/$1 as well as some of the ones listed in my last post the also have canned carrots & mixed vegetables. I also saw re-fried beans @ .85 a can

Dollar Tree sells dried beans for $1 a bag.
pintos 12 oz
kidney 16 oz
northern beans 16 oz
black beans 16 oz 

They also have some dry soup mixes (onion, and chicken noodle) that come 3 packets to a box for $1

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 09:42:15 PM »
I posted this in another area but I guess it would be helpful here also since I started the topic 2.5 years ago.  :)

As well as what to purchase use coupons if possible Bi-Lo just ran a 3 day special on Hormel Chili @ .99 a can & I used a coupon for .55 off on 2 cans. Total cost to me 1.98-.55 then -.55 since they double the coupon= .88 or .44 a can.

Even better they were out of stock on 1 of the types so I got a rain check for next time. ;D

Dollar General is selling some of their Family Pantry items at 2/$1 as well as some of the ones listed in my last post the also have canned carrots & mixed vegetables. I also saw re-fried beans @ .85 a can

Dollar Tree sells dried beans for $1 a bag.
pintos 12 oz
kidney 16 oz
northern beans 16 oz
black beans 16 oz 

They also have some dry soup mixes (onion, and chicken noodle) that come 3 packets to a box for $1

bk - yes, that's right - you did start the topic.  ;)
Good ideas...
Thanks,
Barb T.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2013, 07:30:38 AM »
It is also good to check the expiration dates when shopping at these types of stores, I have found that many times they are almost at expiration.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 04:25:44 PM »
Dollar Tree now sells peanut butter in a 10 oz jar. Just make sure you are getting peanut butter and not peanut spread.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »
Dollar Tree now sells peanut butter in a 10 oz jar. Just make sure you are getting peanut butter and not peanut spread.

99 cent stores and dollar stores can be a pretty good source for stocking up...
 :)

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2013, 09:41:01 PM »
Not only for stocking up but for everyday items. Here the bread man comes on Tue. & Thur. and I love only paying $1 for a loaf of Natures Own whole wheat bread, also 28 oz cans of diced tomatoes for $1.

Anything I can save I can apply the money somewhere else.

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 10:49:56 AM »
Dollar Tree just got in some condensed cream of crab soup do not long how long it will last.

Tried a can Tue. and had a very nice flavor.