Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Stocking up on the cheap  (Read 21175 times)

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: Stocking up on the cheap
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 02:56:19 AM »
I just found a great book that just made my top 5, it is called passport to survival by Esther Dickey written in 1969 a old school survivalist lady it is simple to read and the info. it contains is unbelievable if you have this and a storage of wheat, salt, honey and powdered milk and follow her directions you can live fairly well without being that boring I did not believe it either. You have to get this book if you can find it, I found mine on ebay. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:51:10 PM by 1969quartz0 »

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 09:28:27 AM »
Anyone have more ideas on "Stocking up on the cheap?"

I don't know the geographical range of no-frill Aldi stores,  but yesterday I went up and down the aisles of the local branch and picked up a full bag of non-perishable items not requiring cooking for $21.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 04:34:58 PM »
I love Aldi's!  We have them here in PA, I shop there atleast once a month.  Also, very similar that just came to our neighborhood is The Bottom Dollar food stores.  They are excellent as well.

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 07:11:32 PM »
Thanks for the heads up about Aldi stores I found 1 listed about 1 hour from my house.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 04:15:43 PM »
Anyone have more ideas on "Stocking up on the cheap?"

I don't know the geographical range of no-frill Aldi stores,  but yesterday I went up and down the aisles of the local branch and picked up a full bag of non-perishable items not requiring cooking for $21.

The first time I went to one was in Macclesfield, England in 2004. I had never heard of them until then. Had not seen on in the US until the past couple years. I think they might have started in Europe or the UK. ?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 10:49:16 AM »
I just found a great book that just made my top 5, it is called passport to survival by Esther Dickey written in 1969 a old school survivalist lady it is simple to read and the info. it contains is unbelievable if you have this and a storage of wheat, salt, honey and powdered milk and follow her directions you can live fairly well without being that boring I did not believe it either. You have to get this book if you can find it, I found mine on ebay.

I don't know if I acknowledged this enough. This looks like a good reference book,
so thanks,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 10:43:20 AM »
I haven't tried this site yet. Looks like it could be a good thing. A possible way to stock up on goods to be stored at a survival location.
All sorts of merchandise you go on there and bid...
- Yowbarb

https://www.quibids.com/en/landing/index.php?c=us&mb=cs&sub=72r_bat_hm   Qui bids

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 05:24:46 PM »
I posted this in another area but I guess it would be helpful here also since I started the topic 2.5 years ago.  :)

As well as what to purchase use coupons if possible Bi-Lo just ran a 3 day special on Hormel Chili @ .99 a can & I used a coupon for .55 off on 2 cans. Total cost to me 1.98-.55 then -.55 since they double the coupon= .88 or .44 a can.

Even better they were out of stock on 1 of the types so I got a rain check for next time. ;D

Dollar General is selling some of their Family Pantry items at 2/$1 as well as some of the ones listed in my last post the also have canned carrots & mixed vegetables. I also saw re-fried beans @ .85 a can

Dollar Tree sells dried beans for $1 a bag.
pintos 12 oz
kidney 16 oz
northern beans 16 oz
black beans 16 oz 

They also have some dry soup mixes (onion, and chicken noodle) that come 3 packets to a box for $1

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 09:42:15 PM »
I posted this in another area but I guess it would be helpful here also since I started the topic 2.5 years ago.  :)

As well as what to purchase use coupons if possible Bi-Lo just ran a 3 day special on Hormel Chili @ .99 a can & I used a coupon for .55 off on 2 cans. Total cost to me 1.98-.55 then -.55 since they double the coupon= .88 or .44 a can.

Even better they were out of stock on 1 of the types so I got a rain check for next time. ;D

Dollar General is selling some of their Family Pantry items at 2/$1 as well as some of the ones listed in my last post the also have canned carrots & mixed vegetables. I also saw re-fried beans @ .85 a can

Dollar Tree sells dried beans for $1 a bag.
pintos 12 oz
kidney 16 oz
northern beans 16 oz
black beans 16 oz 

They also have some dry soup mixes (onion, and chicken noodle) that come 3 packets to a box for $1

bk - yes, that's right - you did start the topic.  ;)
Good ideas...
Thanks,
Barb T.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2013, 07:30:38 AM »
It is also good to check the expiration dates when shopping at these types of stores, I have found that many times they are almost at expiration.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 04:25:44 PM »
Dollar Tree now sells peanut butter in a 10 oz jar. Just make sure you are getting peanut butter and not peanut spread.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »
Dollar Tree now sells peanut butter in a 10 oz jar. Just make sure you are getting peanut butter and not peanut spread.

99 cent stores and dollar stores can be a pretty good source for stocking up...
 :)

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2013, 09:41:01 PM »
Not only for stocking up but for everyday items. Here the bread man comes on Tue. & Thur. and I love only paying $1 for a loaf of Natures Own whole wheat bread, also 28 oz cans of diced tomatoes for $1.

Anything I can save I can apply the money somewhere else.

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 10:49:56 AM »
Dollar Tree just got in some condensed cream of crab soup do not long how long it will last.

Tried a can Tue. and had a very nice flavor.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!