Author Topic: Desperate times may call for desperate measures - finding food  (Read 12617 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Desperate times may call for desperate measures - finding food
« on: February 09, 2010, 07:00:48 AM »
Food Glorious Food posted on the Razor's Edge site,

- Yowbarb
===================================================================
Forget about a shiny new sports car, or a new X-Box, food and clean drinking water is your primary concern. Your only going to last about three days without water, and your not going to be very effective at defending yourself on an empty stomach. Fortunately for you there are a number of ways to get what you need to survive.

Large Stores (Wall-Mart type)

The obvious first choice when looking for food and water. Depending on how the apocalypse happened will determine how you go about searching stores. If the end came about through a plague for example you won

Icon

Re: Desperate times may call for desperate measures - finding food
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 12:35:59 PM »
Thanks a lot Barb,, now I will have to fight off the other Survivor Town Hall members :P :P,,,

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 07:18:52 AM »
Oh well 
 :D

Equiano

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 03:30:01 PM »
Great topic to get going! Practical advice is always useful. your right about warehouses in particular, certainly here in the UK food warehouses tend to be located on anonymous industrial estates just out of town in anonymous grey buildings indistinguishable from the factory unit next door....so one would not look at them and immediately think food!......Also local knowledge would come into the equation, most people would not know where their local food distribution warehouse is. The staff who work there on the other hand....Any body else have any useful nuggets of information....because I'm filling all of these for future reference!
Thanx guys!  ;)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 08:08:13 AM »
Great topic to get going! Practical advice is always useful. your right about warehouses in particular, certainly here in the UK food warehouses tend to be located on anonymous industrial estates just out of town in anonymous grey buildings indistinguishable from the factory unit next door....so one would not look at them and immediately think food!......Also local knowledge would come into the equation, most people would not know where their local food distribution warehouse is. The staff who work there on the other hand....Any body else have any useful nuggets of information....because I'm filling all of these for future reference!
Thanx guys!  ;)

Equiano, I agree it would be good to have as much info as possible...

All The Best,

Yowbarb
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:09:54 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:15:48 AM »
By looking at google UK a person can find links to food dist. packers etc.
Yowbarb
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:54:24 PM by Yowbarb »

Prairiesage07

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 08:59:19 AM »
Thats one great reason to start a phone book collection for all cities within a hundred miles or more of your planned survival location...

Equiano

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 04:13:34 PM »
Once again, thanks for that Barb..as ever an obvious solution sits right before our noses....aka, look on Google for food distribution centers.....or Cash and Carry's. Kind of like an outlet store but mainly for small retailers to go and by their wholesale goods. I guess for me though the truth is that I don't view riding out any turbulence in the UK as a workable option (too densely populated, 100% disarmed...except for gangsters and the Police....with very very little wilderness).....so,would anyone have a clue what the equivalent would be called in Czech Republic or Germany...? Or what is the system of food distribution in either those locals or where people are. I think that might be a cue for some intelligence sharing here....being that this website has an international readership. Perhaps it would be useful for people to state the obvious (to them) and say on the Forum what the local word for supermarket or Food distribution warehouse is....where they live, in the local language. E.g in the UK we don't really have outlet stores....we have 'Cash & Carry' Stores if you follow me...This request probably applies more to the European readership but any intel is welcome. I am rolling up the flag immediately for anyone who would know what these words would be either in the German or Czech context. I am hoping that this post is appropriate for this forum...if not I apologise. ;D

Equiano

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 04:25:03 PM »
 :o

Sorry I had to post this...I have just searched Google maps with the words 'Cash & Carry' for my local area.....and low and behold.....Google has just provided an abundant harvest of potential targets...! Hehehe! This feels so naughty! If I planned on staying where I am for the turbulence...the logical next step would be to start scoping them out! So naughty!.....But knowledge is power!

Disclaimer: ....until TSHTF, this individual has no intentions of engaging in any illegal activity...! ::)

Archangel

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 07:38:05 AM »
LOL Good Post!  And me either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 05:46:49 AM »
Thats one great reason to start a phone book collection for all cities within a hundred miles or more of your planned survival location...

A great suggestion from Prariesage 07
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 05:48:53 AM »

To whom it may concern no one here will engage in illegal activities.  :D
- Yowbarb

Archangel

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 04:38:25 PM »

To whom it may concern no one here will engage in illegal activities.  :D
- Yowbarb

I understand that.  I just thought it was funny.  ;D

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 09:34:08 PM »
Oh
Archangel I just saw your post - that was understood and was funny,
All The Best,  :D
Yowbarb

Montanabarb

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 12:20:33 PM »
I guess I'll jump in and contribute a few things I haven't seen here. My ideas pertain more to rural survival where there are no big box stores to raid. I don't remember ever being squeamish about eating most wild foods. The key to all this is whether the wild plants and animals will survive what is coming.  The worst case scenario would be along the lines of "The Road." Scary stuff, prophesied by many cultures and sensitives.

My mother knew a lot of lore about how the homesteaders survived, and in the 1940s and 1950s we practiced foraging. Here are some ideas, beyond snaring jackrabbits and luring the curious pronghorn antelope to within rifle range:

Frog legs:  We considered these a treat, with fine white meat tastier than chicken. We kids harvested the frogs with a hockey stick and gunny sack, and could collect enough for our family of seven in a couple of hours. In the North, they can grow legs the size of chicken wing "drummies," and even bigger in southern swamps.

Squab:  I think every area of this country has flocks of tame pigeons that have gone wild. You see them roosting and nesting in abandoned buildings, highway overpasses and even within cities.  The young pigeons (called squab) are full grown before they sprout feathers and fly, and consequently are easy to harvest without weapons. These were such a treat that they became our Christmas dinner more than once. (The older ones are tough and not tasty.) The pigeon guana is excellent fertilizer, and believe me, they produce it in volume!

Young ducks and geese: You might have to face off with a very mad mama (and daddy in the case of geese,) but the young are easy to harvest, once you lure or herd them out of and away from the water.  Duck and goose eggs are also prime eating. 

Lamb's Quarter, wild asparagus, other "weeds": Mom taught us how to distinguish between good and bad weeds, and how to cook wild greens to taste as good as spinach.

And of course there are the usual items like berries, wild plums and mushrooms (there are lots of books about these.) I'll post more as I think about it.

I think the hardest part for some people may be the shift from love of animals into the survival mode.  What I have written sounds very hard-hearted, but considering the alternative, we will have to toughen up to survive.