Author Topic: Desperate times may call for desperate measures - finding food  (Read 12637 times)

fox

• Members
Re: Desperate times may call for desperate measures - finding food
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 01:11:40 PM »
I liked your post Montanabarb. Yes things will require mental toughness and the WILL to survive. I have
seen interviews of soldiers who were POWS in the pacific during WWII. The food (when available) was of
very poor quality and bug infested. Some of the soldiers said they would rather die than eat the bugs and
rotten food. And sure enough they did (die that is). The soldiers who did the best they could to eat any-
thing that was available lived to tell the story.

I am somewhat concerned about eating mushrooms. I really need to study on that subject. There are so many
that are poison.

One food that is readily available in many parts of the country (if they survive) will be oak acorns. If you eat acorns
straight off the tree you will get a terrible belly ache. So don't do it.
But if you grind them up to a mealy subsatnce
you will be able to put the meal in a bag and either repeatedly soak them in water or put them in a running stream
(if it is clean). The first soaking will turn the water a milky color. Keep rinsing the meal until the water remains clear.
You will have removed most of the tannic acid which is what will make you sick. At this point you can boil or roast
them. American Indians consumed acorns after prepping them so it is nothing new.

Acorns are good protein sources and very high in fat. Folks will need high calorie foods so it might be a good idea to
think about tools to prepare acorns with. Without electricity correctly shaped rocks will work as grinders.

The website below uses boiling to remove the tannic acid. I plan to experiment with several methods next fall. It
is easy to read instructions but real experience is better. By the way tannic acid is supposed to be a good antiseptic.
Acorns often have little bugs (usually one per acorn). These can easily be removed with a knife. Also the
outer shell must be removed as should an inner brown layer if it sticks to the acorn.

http://www.sanaturalareas.org/acorns.html

fox
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:26:49 PM by fox »

Montanabarb

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 03:15:14 PM »
We ate only meadow mushrooms, which are exactly like the ones you buy in supermarkets or find on golf courses. They get wormy very quickly, so the hunter has only a few hours  after a rain to find them in edible condition.  The "White Angel", "Angel of Death" or Manzanita has white fins and grows mostly in the mountains. We were trained very early to discard any mushroom with white fins.  The downside is that there is not much food value in mushrooms.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 11:10:13 AM »
We ate only meadow mushrooms, which are exactly like the ones you buy in supermarkets or find on golf courses. They get wormy very quickly, so the hunter has only a few hours  after a rain to find them in edible condition.  The "White Angel", "Angel of Death" or Manzanita has white fins and grows mostly in the mountains. We were trained very early to discard any mushroom with white fins.  The downside is that there is not much food value in mushrooms.

Montanabarb to each his own - regarding mushrooms.
I forgot to mention there is quite a lot of protein in some mushrooms... will add more specifics
on this at the end of this Topic (newer posts.) It may need its own Topic after awhile.
I have read that Enoki and sh*take are very good for people... from what I have read it is best to cook  mushrooms. 

[ wikipedia] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushroom#Identification

Human use

The Agaricus bisporus, one of the most widely cultivated and the most popular mushrooms in the world
"Health Risks  Some studies have revealed that raw A. bisporus - along with some other edible mushrooms - contain small amounts of carcinogenic hydrazine derivatives, including agaritine and gyromitrin.[29][30] However, this research also noted when cooked, these compounds were reduced significantly.[31]"

Further information: Ethnomycology

Main articles: Edible mushroom -  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_mushroom 

Mushroom hunting -                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushroom_hunting

and Fungiculture   -                     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungiculture 

Anyway I included a type of mushroom in new Topic, Indoor Food Cultivation, carrying forward some ideas from the old forum, I put lots of posts in 2008 about yogurt -making, sprout -making and mushrooms etc.
All The Best,
Yowbarb

http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=382.0  Indoor food cultivation

http://www.answers.com/topic/shiitake-mushroom-1   

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:15:32 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 05:27:59 AM »
I guess I'll jump in and contribute a few things I haven't seen here. My ideas pertain more to rural survival where there are no big box stores to raid. I don't remember ever being squeamish about eating most wild foods. The key to all this is whether the wild plants and animals will survive what is coming.  The worst case scenario would be along the lines of "The Road." Scary stuff, prophesied by many cultures and sensitives.

My mother knew a lot of lore about how the homesteaders survived, and in the 1940s and 1950s we practiced foraging. Here are some ideas, beyond snaring jackrabbits and luring the curious pronghorn antelope to within rifle range:

Frog legs:  We considered these a treat, with fine white meat tastier than chicken. We kids harvested the frogs with a hockey stick and gunny sack, and could collect enough for our family of seven in a couple of hours. In the North, they can grow legs the size of chicken wing "drummies," and even bigger in southern swamps.

Squab:  I think every area of this country has flocks of tame pigeons that have gone wild. You see them roosting and nesting in abandoned buildings, highway overpasses and even within cities.  The young pigeons (called squab) are full grown before they sprout feathers and fly, and consequently are easy to harvest without weapons. These were such a treat that they became our Christmas dinner more than once. (The older ones are tough and not tasty.) The pigeon guana is excellent fertilizer, and believe me, they produce it in volume!

Young ducks and geese: You might have to face off with a very mad mama (and daddy in the case of geese,) but the young are easy to harvest, once you lure or herd them out of and away from the water.  Duck and goose eggs are also prime eating. 

Lamb's Quarter, wild asparagus, other "weeds": Mom taught us how to distinguish between good and bad weeds, and how to cook wild greens to taste as good as spinach.

And of course there are the usual items like berries, wild plums and mushrooms (there are lots of books about these.) I'll post more as I think about it.

I think the hardest part for some people may be the shift from love of animals into the survival mode.  What I have written sounds very hard-hearted, but considering the alternative, we will have to toughen up to survive.

Montanabarb
belated acknowledgment of your ideas here.
People may be so hard up for food that just about anything that can go into the stewpot will do.
I have never done much of this... Way up in our mountain land one summer I helped prepare the wild grouse my dad had shot. Lots of feather and pin feathers to pluck, but wow were they delicious. They already tasted of prarie sage... must have been in the scratch... some sage.

I see little critters like coons and possums sorta like little pets but if my grandsons were hungry enough I could confront cooking them.

This whole site is about cooking wild game. Like possums and raccoons and squirrels. If you join you have access to more recipes.  Some are free on the page.
- Yowbarb

http://www.cookwildgame.com/
Access more than 120 Recipes Become a member today!!

http://www.cookwildgame.com/member-packages.htm  [not that much money]

Squirrel Hunter's Stew

Ingredients:

2 squirrels
1 cup vinegar
1 onion, diced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 season salt
leaves from 3 stalks celery
4 carrots, diced
4-12 red potatoes (depending on size)

Wash dressed squirrel thoroughly and cut into serving pieces. Combine vinegar, onion, salt, and pepper in deep plastic container. Add squirrel and enough water to cover. Let stand 3 hours. Remove squirrel and place in a roasting pan, brown in 375ºF oven. Add seasoned salt, celery leaves, carrots, and potatoes. Again cover with water. Cover pan and continue cooking until tender. Serves 2 to 3.

Copyright ©1995-2002 FishersNet

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 05:29:37 AM »
PS I do not have clue one how to "dress" these little critters so if anyone has any info to ppost,
be my guest.
 :)

Charlie

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 05:51:18 AM »
PS I do not have clue one how to "dress" these little critters so if anyone has any info to ppost,
be my guest.

Most all small game can be easily skinned by making a slit through the skin on the back, enough to get a couple fingers in and pulling "apart"...the skin will come off quite easily on a fresh kill.  Then cut off the feet and head if you do not want the brain, gut by making a shallow cut just under the belly flesh from throat to groin without puncturing the guts if possible, scoop out the guts and wash.  This will also work for all foul to remove feathers quickly.

An earlier post mentioned not eating bugs.  Might wish to do some research on that and re-think. Just google "eating insects".   

noproblemo2

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 06:11:29 AM »
be my guest.

Most all small game can be easily skinned by making a slit through the skin on the back, enough to get a couple fingers in and pulling "apart"...the skin will come off quite easily on a fresh kill.  Then cut off the feet and head if you do not want the brain, gut by making a shallow cut just under the belly flesh from throat to groin without puncturing the guts if possible, scoop out the guts and wash.  This will also work for all foul to remove feathers quickly.

An earlier post mentioned not eating bugs.  Might wish to do some research on that and re-think. Just google "eating insects".
Sounds soooooooooo gross, but something I suppose we will need to know. Thanks

VillageIdiot

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 07:13:41 AM »
It almost makes one consider becoming a vegetarian...  ;D
Live long and prosper!

noproblemo2

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 07:15:57 AM »
Agreed, "almost" !!!! LOL

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 07:19:08 AM »
be my guest.

CharlieLittle, thanks!
I guess if I had a bunch of hungry - that is hongree - people standing around and I had a big pot of water on a tripod on the fire I would
probably put a variety of small creeturs in that thar pot.
Not that it would be so much fun but it should keep people alive... I feel any such critter should be really well cooked...
All The Best,
Barb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 07:21:02 AM »

I have a been thinking on this lately. I had adjust to no meat quite awhile ago then sort of blew that.
I would still want a mountain of meat - containing foods for a survival group...
Probably completely vegetarian survival groups starting up too...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 07:23:04 AM »
BTW I really feel it would be a good idea to get a good stash of recipes. What for?
For things you normally would not even CONSIDER eating.  8)

As far as what I told people they were about to eat, I would offer no information. Food is food.
If pressed for info I would say well it is all meat it is edible and it is well cooked. I might even lie about it to kids.  8)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:25:22 AM by Yowbarb »

Charlie

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 07:33:05 AM »
I have a feeling that insects are going to be much more plentiful than critters in the event.  They are better for you nutritionally than meats and they do not taste bad cooked.  Worms too.  :P

VillageIdiot

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 07:34:15 AM »
"...As far as what I told people they were about to eat, I would offer no information. Food is food.
If pressed for info I would say well it is all meat it is edible and it is well cooked. I might even lie about it to kids8)
Good point that food is food! Something to consider is simply telling "them" it "tastes like chicken". That phrase has gone a long way with other exotic foods.  :P
Live long and prosper!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 07:44:08 AM »
I have a feeling that insects are going to be much more plentiful than critters in the event.  They are better for you nutritionally than meats and they do not taste bad cooked.  Worms too.  :P

That is probably true...
People need to think aobut having some little areas of worm cultivation out on their land... maybe have a slightly trickling faucet to help keep it more moist... not sure all it involved.
The earthworms will be needed to help bring back the soil in the aftertime. (We have a topic about soils in the aftertime too)

Fried.
Never tried.