Author Topic: What canned goods to purchase?  (Read 21278 times)

Hammerhead

• Lifetime
  • Prolific Member
  • Don't be an ostrich
What canned goods to purchase?
« on: June 10, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »
I've convinced my spouse that we need some emergency supplies.  I have a local surplus grocery close by  - can the board suggest what canned goods would be good to have in an emergency? Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:16:00 PM by Yowbarb »

Lori

Re: What canned goods to purchace?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 07:46:17 PM »
Of course my favorite, Corn Beef Hash.  Full of wonderful fat and salt.  Very much needed if on the run.

noproblemo2

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »
Fruits, veggies, canned meats, pork n beans, but mostly what you enjoy eating

rodfergie

• Trusted Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 08:05:04 PM »
When going for emergency supplies there are a few rules.
Make sure everything you get can be eaten right out of the can.  Last thing you will want is having food you have to cook when you have no electricity or heat.
Buy by the expiration date.  It does you no good to buy food that will go bad in 3 months.
Buy what you like.  If you don't like lima beans, don't buy them.  No reason to be miserable, when you are already miserable.
Buy a selection.  Get meats, beans, veggies, and fruits.  You still need all your vitamins and minerals you can get.
Finally, as was stated above, get food with fat and salt in it also.  If you are going to have to make your supply last, those are two things that are very, very important.

Don't forget though. a 20 pound bag of dried beans will go farther than 40 pounds of canned food.
That's my opinion, but I'm probably wrong. :P

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:16:53 PM »
Great reply rodfergie what I was going to say and more, you never can have to much long storage food.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 08:34:12 PM »
Personally, I like Dinty Moore beef stew, and it has dates way out into 2013, along with baked beans,(more flavor than plain pork n beans), tuna, canned fruits are great, they taste good, and are nutritious. Bags of rice and beans(I like pinto-wife likes navy) are good, but require water to make. If water is in short supply, might not be worth it, but super nutrition.Then there are dried fruits and freeze dried meals.(require water most of the time). One thing for sure, if you are on the move, like Erv suggests, canned goods are heavy, and take up lots of room. I have what I think is a good balance of both. I actually bought some more canned veggies today.(on sale)  I look for carbohydrates. More energy than green veggies.    ed

augonit

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 07:51:23 AM »
I have those bullion cubes on hand as part of my supplies.  Because you can use it for stock for soups, or if not feeling well, broth for your tummy. 

noproblemo2

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 08:22:45 AM »
And don't forget the Spam, much as I dislike it, it does have a lot of salt in it.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 09:39:51 AM »
Oh yeah, how could I forget spam! It has dates way out there also. The bullion cubes are a very good idea too. It's not like you'll eat a 6 course meal. You will most likely eat one thing. I want to try to give it as much flavor as possible. Sea salt, also.   ed

rodfergie

• Trusted Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 10:52:22 AM »
On of the main staples I have in my supplies are the dried soups.  One bag has everything, a lot even have meat in them.  I have found them at Big Lots and dollar stores for as low as $ .49. 
Just add water.
But If you don't have water....  Crunch, Crunch, Crunch.
That's my opinion, but I'm probably wrong. :P

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 10:21:05 AM »
Here is an artical you might find interesting.

"Among the canned food items retrieved from the Bertrand in 1968 were brandied
peaches, oysters, plum tomatoes, honey, and mixed vegetables. In 1974,
chemists at the National Food Processors Association (NFPA) analyzed the
products for bacterial contamination and nutrient value. Although the food
had lost its fresh smell and appearance, the NFPA chemists detected no
microbial growth and determined that the foods were as safe to eat as they
had been when canned more than 100 years earlier."

http://web.archive.org/web/20070509153848/http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00043.html

augonit

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 06:42:04 AM »
BK-- That is very interesting!  I knew a man who was 97 or 98 years old who still had jars of food his mother had canned for him (like 70 years ago!)  He told me they would still be good as long as the seal hadn't been broken.  I didn't believe him.  I guess he was right after all.

VillageIdiot

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 07:53:48 AM »
The only way I can eat it, is to cut it up and fry little squares of it, and then mix with pork n beans. I have to be real hungry to eat it any other way.   ed
Gee, Ed. This is the 3rd or 4th post I've read recently where you've mentioned pork & beans!  ;)  ;D
Live long and prosper!

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 08:14:36 AM »
Kinda tells you something, doesn't it? It's a glorious life, I live.   ed

Montanabarb

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 08:43:20 AM »
Here is an artical you might find interesting.

"Among the canned food items retrieved from the Bertrand in 1968 were brandied
peaches, oysters, plum tomatoes, honey, and mixed vegetables. In 1974,
chemists at the National Food Processors Association (NFPA) analyzed the
products for bacterial contamination and nutrient value. Although the food
had lost its fresh smell and appearance, the NFPA chemists detected no
microbial growth and determined that the foods were as safe to eat as they
had been when canned more than 100 years earlier."

http://web.archive.org/web/20070509153848/http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00043.html

Thanks, bk.  I'll say this one more time:  Ignore "sell by" and "expiration" dates.  Big Ag(ricultural) America invented that system to keep their sales up and increase profits.  Using those dates and safe in their beds snuggled up to the EPA, these huge Ag corporations (Monsanto, General Mills, etc., etc.) have convinced billions of people to throw out trillions of tons of perfectly safe food.  They freely use the fear factor and the mainstream media (also mainly owned by three major corporations.) Food does NOT "go bad" within a few months of these "dates."  It MIGHT (not yet proven) start to lose a minimal amount of food value, but will NOT poison you, unless the can is dented or bulged, or in the case of a glass jar, the seal is broken (obvious dents in the lid, the seal indicator button on the lid is popped up, etc.)  Most of the rhetoric on "food safety," touted as protecting the public, was invented by the Ag industry to protect their Corporate a--es, and has nothing to do with us.  We're the sheeple tools they use to make the most money possible.

I will continue to use processes and guidelines handed down through our family by some pretty smart people.  And there are a lot of us, testament to the notion that our processes worked, and our food was pretty darn safe (as was our libido.)  ;D