Author Topic: What canned goods to purchase?  (Read 21277 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: What canned goods to purchase?
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »
Also, just a note: We already know fresh especially freshly home grown foods are best. So save the lecture on that.  ::)  ;)
Having a supply of canned goods set aside in a survival location could make the difference between your family surviving or not...There's always the possibility a group might have to stay underground and/or in an above ground shelter for quite awhile. Who knows what condition the soil will be in, during unexpected situations - or how long it will take to re-build that soil.
Forest fires, fires caused by neighboring building or plants exploding, fireballs, lightning strikes...also flooding... best to have a supply of goods in containers which are practically indestructible...
Well it's easier said than done, to actually prepare. Wishing all you the best of luck in doing this. Who knows what will happen and exactly when...Humans have always tried to prepare...
- Barb Townsend  Quickly posting some random, misc. links to articles below...more to come... Please Note we have other topics  with survival lists - including food water and medical etc. etc.
Apocalypse Chow 

A guide to grubbing down underground
   By Tara Morgan @tarabreemorgan

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/apocalypse-chow/Content?oid=2687072

Stocking Your Bomb Shelter

http://undergroundbombshelter.com/stocking-your-bomb-shelter.htm

How To Start Your Emergency Food Storage On A Budget:

http://prettyprovidence.com/how-to-start-food-storage-on-a-budget 

http://storage-foods.com/1900.jpg

http://www.wunderground.com/prepare/disaster_supply_kit.asp

Ruth

• Global Moderator
  • Trusted Member
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2015, 01:13:56 PM »
Shopping for survival food that the family, especially children will eat, has always been a challenge. The points you folks are making about nutrition are very important. I look especially for coupons and savings on canned salmon. Check labels for wild caught and indications of where it was processed. I will not buy anything processed in China or Thailand. Also labeling is changing with buyer demands and more companies are putting "ocean friendly" stamps, "non GMO" etc. I don't buy Atlantic salmon as I understand it's fish farmed and color treated to give the nice color. My grandmother used to can it and make pickled herring. Both worked well for us. The salmon served out of the can in chunks with chopped sweet onion, pepper, sliced black olives and a nice vinegarette is tasty. My grand dad would eat the whole thing himself - with a beer.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2015, 12:06:48 PM »
Perhaps this was mentioned in an earlier post, and if so, sorry.  Anyway, I've bought just a couple of the #10 cans of stuff, simply because it's really a lot of food for two people to eat, so I don't want to buy very many of them.  But the real reason I bought them was because of the cans themselves.  You can use the can as a mini heater!  You fill it with a roll of toilet paper or half a roll of paper towels, drench it in rubbing alcohol and light it.  It is supposed to last about 5 hours.  It may heat a small room, but I'm thinking about using them to keep my pipes from freezing.  Haven't had to try it out yet, thankfully, but there you go.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2015, 09:16:58 PM »
Shopping for survival food that the family, especially children will eat, has always been a challenge. The points you folks are making about nutrition are very important. I look especially for coupons and savings on canned salmon. Check labels for wild caught and indications of where it was processed. I will not buy anything processed in China or Thailand. Also labeling is changing with buyer demands and more companies are putting "ocean friendly" stamps, "non GMO" etc. I don't buy Atlantic salmon as I understand it's fish farmed and color treated to give the nice color. My grandmother used to can it and make pickled herring. Both worked well for us. The salmon served out of the can in chunks with chopped sweet onion, pepper, sliced black olives and a nice vinegarette is tasty. My grand dad would eat the whole thing himself - with a beer.

Ruth, I forgot to reply to your post. Some good ideas. I'd not heard of that canned salmon recipe - sounds yumm!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2015, 09:24:47 PM »
Perhaps this was mentioned in an earlier post, and if so, sorry.  Anyway, I've bought just a couple of the #10 cans of stuff, simply because it's really a lot of food for two people to eat, so I don't want to buy very many of them.  But the real reason I bought them was because of the cans themselves.  You can use the can as a mini heater!  You fill it with a roll of toilet paper or half a roll of paper towels, drench it in rubbing alcohol and light it.  It is supposed to last about 5 hours.  It may heat a small room, but I'm thinking about using them to keep my pipes from freezing.  Haven't had to try it out yet, thankfully, but there you go.

Steedy - thanks for the reminder on ways to provide emergency heating. Ideas like that for emergency heat could definitely save lives.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2016, 07:48:23 PM »
Yowbarb Note: I am trying to find totally reliable info on shelf life of foods and where to find the newer canned goods, etc. I cannot vouch for this fellow. I feel he knows what he is talking about. It is a place to start. He says keep canned goods in a cool dark place. He presents the foods he found which have the longest shelf life listed. He zeroes in on Chicken of The Sea Pink Salmon as the longest shelf life he has found, of commercial canned food.

What Canned Foods Have The Longest Shelf Life   7:41  502,589 views

video link: https://youtu.be/wVVeM5pnCkc

Survivalist 2012 Uploaded on Apr 19, 2011
Today we are going to see what canned good is best to store for the longest amount of time... I am only testing canned meats so we might be testing fruits and veggies in another video... Stock up while you can guys!!! After all,you wouldnt be watching this video if you were not concerned about whats going on in the world.....KEEP ON PREPPIN!!!!!!!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2016, 01:15:18 PM »
Just a note...I know this had been posted in the past but try to set aside some baby food and supplies.
Fresh canned is best of course but  if you can stock up on regular baby foods, do it while there is time. There are organic ones and in general the baby foods are getting better, IMHO.
they come in little glass jars, so as with all glass goods, pack them well.
Fruits, veges, cereals, meats.
Baby formulas...have a variety some little ones cannot consume dairy.
Try to have a supply of human colostrum. I have no idea how long it lasts or how good the packaging is... not even finding it for some reason.
In your survival groups, hopefully there will be some little ones being born. Human mother's milk is best, but if not possible for some reason the colostrum can be a real life saver and helps the infant get off to a good start. 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »
There are a fair number of people who do not need or do well on milk, but many do seem to need it.
I would recommend having a supply of milk set aside even if it is not primo.
Skim powdered,  skim whole such as Milkman; canned evaporated milk, sweetened condensed. Oh yes, powdered goat milk too. Goat whey if you can get it.
Yogurt culture ready to use as well.