Author Topic: What canned goods to purchase?  (Read 21364 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: What canned goods to purchace?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 10:07:32 AM »
Of course my favorite, Corn Beef Hash.  Full of wonderful fat and salt.  Very much needed if on the run.

I agree foods like that may not be great for everyday consumption but hey are loaded with calories and provide warmth and energy.
Some of the substances (my subjective experience) I have noticed provide a lot of energy. A truly odd assortment but here's the ones that pop into my head:

Applesauce
Beef   Corned beef hash
Beef   jerky
Coffee
Chia seeds (chewed by Native Americans)
Green Machine or other green drinks (blue-green algae or chlorella)
Hummus (with crackers)
Miso soup
Mu tea
Seaweeds (dried spiced Korean variety)
Sesame Tahini (sesame butter)
Snickers Bars
Tea  sugar or honey

Well it is a partial list.  I have eaten all those.
Most everything on this list could be in fairly small and portable containers. Bugout bags.
- YB
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:42:52 AM by Yowbarb »

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 05:10:27 PM »
I have a few multi-paks of spam from Sams club and am glad I have it but on the other hand the stuff is awful but I would eat it as a last resort to get some meat maybe I could trade it for something. I am also glad I bought years ago mountain house canned meats that is much better then spam. They used to have an ad a few years back when they were still trying to sell to the public about a man who bought many cases of Mountain house and stored it in the attic of a few houses for about four decades the worst place to store food and in 2008 started opening cans and they were still all good. If you store it in a cool even temp. area it should be good over a hundred years so other then a special meal here and there that will probably be the last food to be used up in my little stash.

Lori

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 05:15:44 PM »
Sound good recipe with spam.

Title: FRENCH FRY SPAM CASSEROLE
  Categories: Main dish
       Yield: 8 servings

1 pk Frozen french fry potatoes,
            -thawed (20 oz)
       2 c  Shredded Cheddar cheese
       2 c  Sour cream
       1 cn Condensed cream of chicken
            -soup (10 3/4 oz)
       1 cn SPAM Luncheon Meat, cubed
            -(12 oz)
     1/2 c  Chopped red bell pepper
     1/2 c  Chopped green onion
     1/2 c  Finely crushed corn flakes

Heat oven to 350'F. In large bowl, combine potatoes, cheese, sour
   cream, and soup. Stir in SPAM, bell pepper, and green onion. Spoon
   into 13x9″ baking dish. Sprinkle with crushed flakes. Bake 30-40
   minutes or until thoroughly heated.

VillageIdiot

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 06:03:51 PM »
Uh-Oh, no pork and beans for Ed !!!!!
I get this image every time Ed has mentioned pork & beans:
http://youtu.be/R6dm9rN6oTs   ;D  ;D  ;D
Live long and prosper!

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 08:56:37 AM »
It's reminiscent of evenings when I get together with my brothers, sitting around a fire, discussing the universe, or what's gonna be on TV. Whichever we find more important at the moment. Nobody sits too close to the fire, however. (obvious reasons)   ed

VillageIdiot

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 11:02:31 AM »
It's reminiscent of evenings when I get together with my brothers, sitting around a fire, discussing the universe, or what's gonna be on TV. Whichever we find more important at the moment. Nobody sits too close to the fire, however. (obvious reasons)   ed
:D  :D  :D Roger that!
Live long and prosper!

rodfergie

• Trusted Member
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 01:56:53 PM »
I just feel that augonit needs to not be a anti-spamite.  We are an open and loving sites to all processed meats and meat like products.   8)
That's my opinion, but I'm probably wrong. :P

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 07:47:42 PM »
BK-- That is very interesting!  I knew a man who was 97 or 98 years old who still had jars of food his mother had canned for him (like 70 years ago!)  He told me they would still be good as long as the seal hadn't been broken.  I didn't believe him.  I guess he was right after all.

That is very touching... that his mother made all that food for him... and she is gone now but the food is still good.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 07:50:50 PM »
Sound good recipe with spam.

Title: FRENCH FRY SPAM CASSEROLE
  Categories: Main dish
       Yield: 8 servings

1 pk Frozen french fry potatoes,
            -thawed (20 oz)
       2 c  Shredded Cheddar cheese
       2 c  Sour cream
       1 cn Condensed cream of chicken
            -soup (10 3/4 oz)
       1 cn SPAM Luncheon Meat, cubed
            -(12 oz)
     1/2 c  Chopped red bell pepper
     1/2 c  Chopped green onion
     1/2 c  Finely crushed corn flakes

Heat oven to 350'F. In large bowl, combine potatoes, cheese, sour
   cream, and soup. Stir in SPAM, bell pepper, and green onion. Spoon
   into 13x9″ baking dish. Sprinkle with crushed flakes. Bake 30-40
   minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Yummy I would eat that with turkey spam...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 01:43:05 PM »
I guess what we can all take away from this is that Ed likes pork and beans and that canned food is good as long as the seal is intact. I think. Either that or this thread stinks. 8)

For the record (if anyone is keeping one), I detest Spam. However, I do like Turkey Ham which is sort of like Spam without the can, which I can pressure can.

I moved this Topic over here to:  Finding  Floods in all the survival places.
I feel it is OK for Members to toss around ideas on canned goods and recipes etc. so that's why it is here. Things theymight want to stock up on to economize; things they might be willing to eat, and so on.
People can post what they like, here - if it is a positive suggestion.

The idea is,  what is cheap what can be used to fill some empty stomachs...
If it got down to it would probably just eat something else ratherr than the pork spam; but if someone in the survival group wanted to eat the spam... they could do that...   :) I wouldn't comment on it, as they were eating it......
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:45:39 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 01:52:16 PM »
We do have some master lists of survival items

OK to post things here too, some ideas...

I like canned green beans. They are good in any kind of stew.
They are good in a salad, if people should be so fortunate as to have fresh greens sometime in the future, the green beans add more of a filling aspect to the salad.
jars: Hearts of palm,
cans: mushroom
these also are very good in salads and add a little protein and variety.
Images hearts of palm, 

Canned mushrooms in a salad.
You can add jars or cans of imitation bacon bits they are cheap and add flavor to salads casseroles etc.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: What canned goods to purchase?
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 02:24:48 PM »
People might end up with a lot of beans of different sorts because they are cheap.
Canned beans can be made use of a cold marinaded salad. Could be done a variety of ways.
Some people would like cider vinegar and mild cooking oil.
Some would prefer a little tamari soysauce sesame seeds, sesame oil etc.  can be made lots of different ways.

If you are feeding a crowd a mixture of beans, with a marinade or seasoning is very filling.
Some will like it.
- Yowbarb

So, red beans green beans, yellow wax beans and so on, these can be made into salad. (Note: Some people add garbanzos too, I posted a recipe with those as well, in survival recipes.)
Going to post the recipe in Susan's Survival Recipe Topic soon...
YB

http://www.jdcloseouts.com/specials/food.html one place that might be a source of  food...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:38:02 AM by Yowbarb »

augonit

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 05:07:40 PM »
Rod--I may be an anti-spamite, (and proud of it), but I'm not opposed to all processed meats.  I like Vienna Sausages.  Even my cat likes Vienna Sausages.  And Deviled Ham is very yummy!  These things are in my supplies.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2011, 02:57:39 AM »
When you're planning out a strategy regarding canned goods, I give a lot of consideration to the size of the cans and how they are packed. For us, there's only two of us so it's pretty easy. But with a larger group, we have to consider different tastes so you might consider the smaller size cans for individual servings. Survival is serious business and keeping mental health up is as important as the body. Mentally, the better the food fare, the better the mind will be.

It hasn't been mentioned yet but another (and probably the most important) point is that if we're talking about survival here is not a weekend outing and for me at least a pretty serious situation as far as planning goes. You will not be able to save leftovers. What you open, you eat. So, can size is very important.
[Continues]

BillXAM, partial quote from you.
I totally agree morale, mental health very important that 's why I generally post up ideas on how to have some foods available in case someone in your group needs them. If I by some miracle end up with the land and a large group, we will have quite a lot of planning. Doesn't have to take long, but planning and organization.
Someone or a group of someones will be in charge of inventory and rationing the food along to try make a certain amount stretch a certain amount of time. I mean like you say if a can gets opened, a can gets consumed.
In charge of the whole deal, like a naval Chief Steward.
Someone or a group of someones will be cranking out the meals. Someone will be growing sprouts, led vegetables mushrooms, and tending the yogurt. Rising the bread dough making pizza dough possible etc.
Another person might be tending to a small sturdy indoor pond
The food cultivation, prep serving and cleanup is a lot. People will need to take turns with certain chores and also with security.. at some point.
Some people will naturally gravitate to the kitchen.

Re canned goods: Cheapness is important too - just something to consider...
Canned beans and veges can be filling... and need to have plenty around to stretch the meals...Very important to have the condiments and a variety of things such as the fermented soy sauce, sesame seeds, spices, Louisiana hot sauce, spicy mustard... things to make it so much more palatable. Important to have some olive oil and some other oils, canned butter, honey, etc.

Thanks for the images and ideas on how to store the canned goods. I like the idea of storing same size same content cans in boxes. Sealed boxes.
For one thing when they need to be transported elsewhere they will be easier to move. The goods a person is consuming can be in an open box or some of it could be loose on a shelf if you grab it frequently.
- Barb
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:40:55 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2011, 02:59:22 AM »
One thing that you can do with the canned goods - if you're still concerned about an approaching date on the cans - is to make your favorite recipe and then process them yourself again via pressure canning.

We have several hundred cans each of green beans, corn, beans and even chicken. What I'll do is make either a stew or soup from the older cans and then process it.  While that doesn't seem to make sense, it does extend the food as well as save on cooking in an emergency or when you're just too tired to cook dinner.

BillXAM I never thought of that... good ideas.