Author Topic: The Peace Makers  (Read 21667 times)

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
The Peace Makers
« on: August 15, 2011, 02:00:18 PM »
I currently own a mossberg 500 12g shotgun. I'm thinking I'll need something for long range. My dilemma is I'm spending most of my money to stock up on food and other small things, so I need to get something affordable. Should I go with a rifle, or handgun. I know rifles can be cheap compared to handguns. Would a 22 rifle even be worth buying? I saw one at Walmart the other day for 129.00!

Or, should I buy what ever has the cheapest ammo?

Any suggestions?

Thanks...
Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: What Guns should I have when the SHTF?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 05:23:37 PM »
A 22LR rifle ammo runs around $20 for 500 to 550 shells

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:12:05 PM »
To point out the obvious, more is better...  That being said...  I think a shotgun is imperative, which you have.  I think a handgun is also necessary and the caliber depends on your preference.  I prefer a bigger caliber.  A high powered rifle would also come in handy but the one problem I don't want to have is to carry a whole bunch of ammo for multiple guns.  So, a shotgun and a pistol are top priorities in my mind.  I think that a bow is also essential so you can hunt in silence without giving your position away.  If you are not already proficient with a compound bow, which I am not, then I would recommend a crossbow.  I think I would choose a crossbow over a high powered rifle if I could only pick one.  Hope this helps.
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 08:37:17 PM »
I'm sorry, I got to thinking about it and I didn't actually answer your question...  You can kill anything with a .22 but you better be one hell of a marksman.  A .22 has almost zero knock-down power.  Like I said, I prefer larger calibers.  If you are on a tight budget I would recommend a .30-30, either the Winchester or the Marlin.  The Marlin is better if you want to put a scope on it but the Winchester "won the west" and is a damn fine rifle if you can shoot through open sights.  If you want to go bigger...  a 300 Winchester magnum, .30-06, and 7mm are all good calibers.  Guns are one thing where "you get what you pay for" truly applies... Hope this helps... Peace.
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 06:28:09 AM »
Thanks for the input JKB. You've got me thinking now. It would make more since to carry a handgun and shotgun together. I will also check into the 30-30 you mentioned. I doubt I will go with a 22 rifle now.
-Will

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 07:00:04 AM »
To point out the obvious, more is better...  That being said...  I think a shotgun is imperative, which you have.  I think a handgun is also necessary and the caliber depends on your preference.  I prefer a bigger caliber.  A high powered rifle would also come in handy but the one problem I don't want to have is to carry a whole bunch of ammo for multiple guns.  So, a shotgun and a pistol are top priorities in my mind.  I think that a bow is also essential so you can hunt in silence without giving your position away.  If you are not already proficient with a compound bow, which I am not, then I would recommend a crossbow.  I think I would choose a crossbow over a high powered rifle if I could only pick one.  Hope this helps.

A silencer for the pistol may be necessary too?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 07:05:32 AM »
I currently own a mossberg 500 12g shotgun. I'm thinking I'll need something for long range. My dilemma is I'm spending most of my money to stock up on food and other small things, so I need to get something affordable. Should I go with a rifle, or handgun. I know rifles can be cheap compared to handguns. Would a 22 rifle even be worth buying? I saw one at Walmart the other day for 129.00!

Or, should I buy what ever has the cheapest ammo?

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Hello and welcome, Willsorr75.  ;)
Some of the guys here know quite a lot on the subject.
I am not an expert although I went out shooting with some guy friends when I was 16. The recoil from the 757 knocked me back, but I still hit my target.
For the record I am FOR freedom in gun use, along with proper registration and some background check but not made a big deal of.
I am for concealed carry and carry in glove box. Too many good people have been killed for want of some protection. That is my main deal, that good people can protect themselves.
I have heard on this forum that ammo is running short so get plenty,
Good Luck,
Yowbarb

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 07:06:02 AM »
A silencer for the pistol may be necessary too?

Yeah, I can see how that would be useful. The last thing you would want is to give you location away.
-Will

errrv

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 03:54:35 PM »
Howdy, we covered all of this here:

http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=2111.msg38697#msg38697

Also, a few criteria for weapons:
1. Low maintenance (ak47/74/akm, sks, enfield)
2. Easy to get ammo (7.62x39mm, .223, .308, .243, 12 ga., .40, 9mm).
3. Iron sights mandatory (fancy red dot/scopes/eotec always break or run outta batteries).
4. Easy to reload
5. Accurate

You can find all these attributes in a fairly inexpensive weapon that is lightweight & easy to handle. If you are proficient at shooting, a .22 LR is ok.
Bigger bullets kill better ( great grammar)!

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
Re: The Peace Makers
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 11:52:41 AM »
Well, next week I plan to purchase a HiPoint 9mm pistol. Found it online for around $150.00. I've heard mixed reviews, but I guess for what I'll be using it for it should be fine... After the purchase I will own a 12g shot gun and a 9mm pistol. Does anyone think there will be a need for a rifle or should I be ok? Also any comments on the HiPoint?
-Will

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Well, next week I plan to purchase a HiPoint 9mm pistol. Found it online for around $150.00. I've heard mixed reviews, but I guess for what I'll be using it for it should be fine... After the purchase I will own a 12g shot gun and a 9mm pistol. Does anyone think there will be a need for a rifle or should I be ok? Also any comments on the HiPoint?

Will I can't comment on a particular type of rifle but taking a quick look, repeating rifles have a high degree of accuracy and speed and ease of reloading...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle#Rate_of_fire   Rifle rate of fire...

All The Best,
Yowbarb

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 01:50:51 PM »
Will I can't comment on a particular type of rifle but taking a quick look, repeating rifles have a high degree of accuracy and speed and ease of reloading...

All The Best,
Yowbarb

Thanks Yowbarb,,is a repeating rifle the same as semi auto?
-Will

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 10:41:39 PM »

All The Best,
Yowbarb

Thanks Yowbarb,,is a repeating rifle the same as semi auto?

One of the guys would know more on it...
Meanwhile here is something interesting:

U.S. Survival Rifle 22LR Semi-Auto AR-7 Henry Repeating Arms 7:52

LINK: http://youtu.be/qmpy_PLZGic

Uploaded by sootch00 on Feb 19, 2010
Fun Gun Reviews Presents : The U.S. Survival Rifle. This super lightweight 22LR semi-automatic rifle breaks
down into four pieces that can be store away into the waterproof stock. Made by Henry Repeating Arms, this
handy little rifle is perfect for hikers, campers, fisherman, bush pilots, or anyone who spents time in the great outdoors!

Henry Repeating Arms Website:
http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 06:26:56 AM »
One of the guys would know more on it...
Meanwhile here is something interesting:[/color]

U.S. Survival Rifle 22LR Semi-Auto AR-7 Henry Repeating Arms 7:52

LINK: http://youtu.be/qmpy_PLZGic

Fun Gun Reviews Presents : The U.S. Survival Rifle. This super lightweight 22LR semi-automatic rifle breaks
down into four pieces that can be store away into the waterproof stock. Made by Henry Repeating Arms, this
handy little rifle is perfect for hikers, campers, fisherman, bush pilots, or anyone who spents time in the great outdoors!

Henry Repeating Arms Website:
http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm

This is really cool! It would make it a whole lot easier to carry... I'll have to check into this. Thx
-Will

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 07:14:39 AM »
Will, true it should be pretty easily and lightweight to carry and put together...
There would probably be something already assembled for whoever is:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/images/stagecoach.jpg