Author Topic: Bless The Beasts Two By Two, Pt 2  (Read 19967 times)

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
Re: Bless The Beasts Two By Two, Pt 2
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2013, 06:30:54 PM »
You know, my wife is a pre-school teacher and her new center here in Texas had 2 hamsters as center pets.  We'll, guess who wound up taking care of them on weekends?  Yep, us.  Due to losing our beloved guinea pig, Charlie, this year, we cared for them and showed them what affection you can show a hamster, but we both made a conscious decision to not get attached to them.  I don't think we did, and hamsters aren't guinea pigs, but they were kind of cute. 

At any rate, one of them passed about two months ago during the night at the school, so, no big deal...  But, the smaller one whose name was Mickey Mouse, started showing signs of passing last weekend at our house.  So, my wife didn't take him back to school on Monday and we didn't expect him to hang in there long.  Well, I came home Monday and he was still alive but didn't look good.  I came home Tuesday expecting him to be gone but he wasn't.  I figured he would pass during the night Tuesday but, nope, still alive Wed morning.  Wednesday after work he was still alive but clearly didn't have long.

It just sucked so bad because we never want to see an animal suffer.  Any animal.  But, we're talking about a hamster... Should I take a hamster that isn't even mine to the animal ER and drop $200 putting him to sleep?  No.  But still, he was suffering.  I actually thought about suffocating him in a zip[lock bag if you can believe it.  He was already right there and I couldn't imagine it being worse than he was already feeling.  I mean, what is the most humane thing to do?

Ultimately, we just kept checking on him and talking to him and he finally passed around nine o'clock Wednesday night.  But, the whole thing just sucked all the way around.  I felt guilty for not putting him out of his misery and I felt guilty for not wanting to take the time and money to put him to sleep.  But then I felt guilty also for just standing there and watching nature take it's course.  Maybe it would have been different if he had been "ours" and we had spent two years with him but I couldn't find a right answer. 

We all love our animals so much and they bring such joy to our lives.  But then we have to say goodbye and it always sucks.  I still miss Charlie...
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2013, 09:35:49 AM »
JKB, thanks for sharing that story...even though sad it provides some valuable insight and experience...
My kids had a hamster once, decades ago. I never dreamed anything would happen to it. (These things tend to surprise me.)
He had this fancy trail thing all colors of plastic. Someone gave it to the kids.
I don't know how it happened but somehow it fell on him and he was mortally wounded...I hated that...
I tend to love all little critters...

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2014, 11:37:22 PM »
Sheriff's helicopter crew plucks dog from cliff (w/video)

By KEVIN McCALLUM
 THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

March 15, 2014, 8:24 PM

A dog that got stuck on cliff high above Portugese Beach was rescued Saturday afternoon after a sheriff’s deputy dangling from a helicopter plucked it off a sheer rock face and returned it unharmed to its owner.

Oreo, a black and white Labrador, somehow made her way about 40 feet down a 90-foot high cliff at the southern end of Portuguese Beach before she realized she couldn’t go any further or turn around, said Capt. Todd Rollings of the Bodega Bay Fire Protection District.

“It was kind of like a billy goat trail the dog went down. Even the dog realized it was dumb move,” Rolling said.

The surf was high and pounding against the cliff, so if the dog had jumped or fallen the 50 feet she would have been injured or worse landing in the waves below, he said.

Fire crews got the call at 1:47 p.m. to help the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Department’s helicopter unit with the rescue. The parking lot was packed with cars on the unseasonably warm afternoon and it was difficult for the rescue crews to maneuver close to the cliff edge for a rope rescue, Rollings said.

Efforts to coax the dog back up the hill failed and the decision was made that a deputy suspended beneath Henry 1 would have the best chance of reaching the frightened dog.

“She was scared,” Rollings said. “She wasn’t going anywhere.”

Pilot Paul Bradley flew the chopper low over the cliff a couple times to make sure Oreo wouldn’t be spooked by the sight. She was fine. So Bradley landed nearby, and Deputy Henri Boustany strapped himself onto the end of a 100-foot long line.

Boustany wasn’t sure how the dog would react when approached by a stranger wearing a flight suit and helmet. Dogs being rescued in such situations have bitten deputies before, he said.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20140315/articles/140319660

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2014, 02:56:10 PM »
Enlightenme, that was the most wonderful video! I stumbled across it - not long ago and played it for my daughter Gabby. We really got a kick out of seeing the dear little fellow running off and also enjoying all the attention from the fire and rescue folks. What great guys, too - rescuing that pooch.
Love it!
 :)

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2014, 05:50:32 PM »
 :D I thought so too!

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2014, 07:59:36 AM »
We have had a Dove we named Nellie make a nest in the rain gutter right outside our front door.  She had already made her nest by the time we noticed it and she is aparrently a stubborn Dove because she didn't move it.  She used to freak out and fly away when we would walk out, look up at her, and say, "Hey Nellie, how's it going?"  Now she pays us no mind.  Her mate comes to visit with food and nest-sits when she needs a break.  It is so neat to watch.  We have been keeping our fingers crossed that we wouldn't get a heavy thunderstorm until her eggs hatched and so far, so good.  They need to hatch soon as she has been up there for around a month.  We can't wait to come out and hear her babies chirping.  Go Nellie!
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2014, 10:51:11 AM »
How wonderful for you, I would love that to happen where I live.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »
I came across this information and thought I should post it, just in case anyone out there wasn't aware of this.

Keep Lilies Away From Your Cats

   

Cats and lilies

The white, trumpet-shaped Easter lily symbolizes Easter and spring for many people, and is a popular decoration in homes at this time of year.

If you have cats, however, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) wants to remind you that these particular flowers, as well as Tiger, Asiatic, Day, and Japanese Show lilies, are a safety threat to your feline friends.

Eating small amounts of plants or grass may be normal for cats. But the entire lily plant (leaf, pollen, and flower) is poisonous to them, according to Melanie McLean, a veterinarian at FDA. Even if they just eat a couple of leaves or lick a few pollen grains off their fur, cats can suffer acute kidney failure within a very short period of time.

McLean says that if your cat has eaten part of a lily, the first thing you’ll see is vomiting soon afterwards. That may gradually lessen over two to four hours. Within 12 to 24 hours, the cat may start to urinate frequently. Then, if kidney failure sets in, the cat will stop urinating because the kidneys stop being able to produce urine. Untreated, she says, a cat will die within four to seven days of eating a lily.

Young cats typically have healthy kidneys, so when a young cat shows signs of acute kidney damage, consumption of a toxic substance is one of the first things veterinarians investigate, McLean says.

Early veterinary treatment is critical. McLean says that even if you just suspect that your cat has eaten a lily, you should call your veterinarian immediately or, if the office is closed, take your cat to an emergency veterinary clinic. The vet may induce vomiting if the cat just ate the lily, and will give the cat intravenous fluids to prevent dehydration and preserve kidney function.

Other lilies, like Calla and Peace lilies, don’t cause fatal kidney failure, but they can irritate your cat’s mouth and esophagus. Lilies of the Valley are toxic to the heart, causing an abnormal heart rhythm. If you think your cat has eaten any type of lily, contact your veterinarian.

Lilies are not a great danger to dogs, McLean says. Dogs may have some gastrointestinal issues if they eat a lily, but nothing considered life-threatening.

Does this mean that you can’t have lilies in your home if you have a cat? Although it’s best not to have them in your home, if you want to enjoy these pretty spring flowers, McLean says to be sure to keep the plant someplace that your high-jumping pet can’t reach.

This article appears on FDA's Consumer Updates page, which features the latest on all FDA-regulated products.

April 14, 2014

For More Information

•Lovely Lilies and Curious Cats: A Dangerous Combination
•Potentially Dangerous Items for Your Pet
•Pet Poison HelplineSee Disclaimer page regarding links to external sites

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm393028.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2014, 09:53:06 AM »
Enlightenme -what wonderful info to have! I missed your post,
Nice page posted below for lost found pets in Vilonia ...

Yowbarb

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/story/d/story/pets-lost-found-from-arkansas-tornado-outbreak/31785/kTWg-tTofEiHOa-t8qNZnA

Pets Lost & Found from Arkansas Tornado Outbreak

LITTLE ROCK, AR - Along with their human companions, there are pets who have been displaced in the storm-ravaged areas of central Arkansas.

A Facebook page has been setup to help get them back into the arms of their owners.

Organizers of the page ask that Facebook users repost the link below to help get the word out

https://www.facebook.com/groups/644821885600924/

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2016, 06:56:42 AM »
A video taken during Winter Storm JONAS...for your enjoyment:

Tian Tian in the Snow Jan. 23, 2016   527,491 views  22 hours ago

link: https://youtu.be/viu1UgZ7gwM

Smithsonian's National Zoo
Jan. 23, 2016---Male giant panda Tian Tian (tee-YEN tee-YEN) woke up this morning to a lot of snow, and he was pretty excited about it. Giant pandas have thick woolly coats that keep them warm in the snowy mountains of China. #Blizzard2016

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2016, 08:34:07 AM »

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2016, 09:37:35 AM »