Author Topic: Help for your pet birds/ Catch, shelter some wild birds  (Read 7587 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Help for your pet birds/ Catch, shelter some wild birds
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
This Topic is all about birds those lovely  creatures.
Please post here your ideas on how to properly protect and shelter your pet birds of all kinds, during the possible cataclysmic changes ahead. Perhaps this could be about how to cover and carry to the vehicle, how to get the to the survival land/shelter.
What about wild birds? Possible to catch a few and shelter them too?
What will you feed your birds during those rough times, and in the Aftertime?
- Yowbarb

http://www.a-home-for-wild-birds.com/bird-food-recipes.html   Wild Bird Food Recipes

http://www.ehow.com/how_2362520_transport-pet-bird.html    How to transport a pet bird

Ehow how to catch a wild bird:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6550946_catch-wild-birds.html

Image: English Sparrow

Image: Lovebirds

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Help for your pet birds/ Catch, shelter some wild birds
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 11:19:58 AM »
Hummingbird feeders and also
Hand feeding hummingbirds.
- Yowbarb 

http://www.salterylodge.com/blog/hand-feeding-hummingbirds/

Hummingbird drinks from my hand!  0:35   36,716 Views

LINK:  http://youtu.be/fG8-wEp8-9k

Uploaded by SalteryLodge on Nov 24, 2009

This wild Alaskan hummingbird drinks nectar from my hand.

Sunnybug

• Celeste of Phoenix
  • Members
  • Prolific Member
    • n/a
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 02:53:27 PM »
Our hummingbird feeder also attracts sparrows, woodpeckers and once an oriole. Occasionally it also attracts bees which can be a problem, but the point is that it benefits several kinds of birds.
Never Give UP! EVER

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 03:48:53 PM »
Our hummingbird feeder also attracts sparrows, woodpeckers and once an oriole. Occasionally it also attracts bees which can be a problem, but the point is that it benefits several kinds of birds.

Good data to have.  :)

- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »
It would be good to scoop some up and put ' em in sort of bunker for awhile...
Maybe people could rig up a bird bunker on their land...
Yowbarb

KING MIST NET
TOP QUALITY MIST NETS FOR BIRD CATCHING WITHOUT HARM!
"These nets are ideal for long-term work, are very safe for birds and are easy to use. They are suitable for catching small and medium-sized birds. These nets can be used in any habitat, but we recommend that they be set in front of trees or bushes to decrease visibility and to increase their effectiveness. We produce various kinds of mist nets for catching birds and bats. The quality and efficiency of our nets are the result of more than 10 years experience in field work...."

http://charlieno.110mb.com/index.php?p=1_4_description

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 05:20:04 PM »
Just wondering, what are you planning to do with your birds when the time comes?  That is, if you don't already have accomodations for them in your bug out place.  I only ask because I don't know what to do about our very senior guinea pig, Charlie.  He is showing zero signs of slowing down, he is the Energizer guinea pig and I don't know how we can care for him on the run.  It is all our fault, he is spoiled rotten and there is no way we can maintain his present lifestyle under those circumstances.
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 06:50:59 PM »
Just wondering, what are you planning to do with your birds when the time comes?  That is, if you don't already have accomodations for them in your bug out place.  I only ask because I don't know what to do about our very senior guinea pig, Charlie.  He is showing zero signs of slowing down, he is the Energizer guinea pig and I don't know how we can care for him on the run.  It is all our fault, he is spoiled rotten and there is no way we can maintain his present lifestyle under those circumstances.

Hi JKB
I'm not sure if this is a general question to anyone reading.
What I would suggest is anyone who wants to keep their birds (if there is just a few in a cage) to keep them in their camper until the shelter is built.
If it is a situation where a person is rescuing birds or other wildlife, I am sure they would be doing their best to make provisions for them, as fast as they can while there is still time...
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 06:45:06 AM »
Hi again, I don't think I really acknowledgedthis...
Personally I would keep a pet guinea pig, in a little cage...and as conditions and space permit, give him a little area to run around in. Any surviving predators, in the Aftertime, will be predators on steroids, so pets and critters won't  last long outside without a proper cage. There are fairly big cages for daytime, you can put them on the ground or up on a pallet and secure them down. Cats little dogs, guinea pig and other pet critters. Well you know all this.  ;)
Posted up some photos of ideas on pet cages so they can get outside. What I  would do is set up a couple pet areas outside, secure so they can be there, in plain sight, and safe, while the building is going on. Weather permitting some of them could be outside the majority of the  time but more often they would have to be carried inside at night...
We have one old cat, "Fat Boy."  We love him dearly, so I understand your concerns.
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 06:48:58 AM »
This is where I had posted some ideas about various outside cages for pets, when a person goes to their survival land.
Yowbarb

Keeping your pets and domestic animals safe during cataclysms
Started by Yowbarb« 1 2 3

Topic Link:  http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=2970.0

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 07:35:13 AM »
This site is about care for pet birds,
Yowbarb
................................................................................................. http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/care1.htm  Multiscope

Hotspot for Birds - Bird Care Guide

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 08:08:04 AM »
This pdf describes how to catch various types of wild birds. Not sure yet if it has all the info which would be needed.
If people are interested in saving some of the species on their survival land, it would be quite a task, but worthwhile. If you can catch some of each type you see, or randomly able to catch, then manage to get them into an enclosure and keep them fed and watered, it's possible in the Aftertime, when earth changes settle down, you can then release them out into the wild.
Why would  th is be necessary? We cannot know for sure what will heppen in the coming  two years, but many people believe we will have extremely high winds. Wildfires are likely. Many birds will not survive these conditions.
If they could be secured inside a partially underground enclosure, they have a better chance.
- Yowbarb

pdf: Chapter 3 Wild bird capture techniques
ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/010/a1521e/a1521e03.pdf

Jaybird

Hoopoe

English Sparrow

Feral Parakeets in England

Goldfinches eating suet

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 12:15:15 AM »
We could use more information from experts, articles and opinions on how to sucessfully catch and shelter some wild birds in the coming few months.
Members please post here what you know,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »
http://www.agway.com/know_how/wild_birds/bird_watching/birds_in_storms.html

Birds in Storms
From thunderstorms and tornadoes to hurricanes and blizzards, how do birds survive treacherous storms that can cause thousands, even millions of dollars of damage to well-prepared communities?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival