Author Topic: Keeping your pets and domestic animals safe during cataclysms  (Read 17365 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Keeping your pets and domestic animals safe during cataclysms
« on: August 19, 2011, 11:09:17 AM »
This Topic may overlap other Topics here, but it's OK.
I just posted this on the Topic, Practical Questions, in the Post It All... Board
I feel this subject deserves its own Topic here. I welcome Members to post their ideas.
Practical stuff which will help others, please.
- Yowbarb
Topic Administrator

RE Cats Dogs chickens etc.
I feel the dogs will naturally stay with their people; cats get more freaked out and will run off with cataclysmic changes.
If I manage to get the land etc.  will keep my furry cat beasts in a galvanized steel big  enclosure with a tarp.
When the weather is bad, will have to move them into their camper or whatever available until there is a portion
of the shelter for them. Care must be taken that they do not bolt out the door never to be seen again.

(Truth be told, I am not sure how I will be able to safeguard my pets, even with a fence because most of my cats can jump 7 feet or more and do so every day...)

What I feel is, in the "Aftertime," any surviving predators on the land will be predators on steroids.
Depending on the locale: Coyotes, Foxes, wolves, stray pit bulls, some other breeds of dogs... they will want
"cat" for a meal and will not hesitate to run off with one in their mouth.
(Who knows even a hungry person would
try to shoot an arrow at a cat and eat it, as in one post - apocalyptic movie, which has one fellow is living on whatever he can get - including cats he gets with bow and arrow.
Sorry, not to be unpleasant, but extra care will have to be taken with any sort of pet or domestic animal due to hungry predators, etc.
- Yowbarb

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:53:45 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Keeping your pets and domestic animals safe during cataclysms
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 11:18:44 AM »
Sharing this because it could help someone:

Postscript to what I had posted about my cats jumping out of my yard.
In actual fact I have a hard smooth white vinyl fence. They actually can NOT jump that. The way some of them get out is by jumping up on the AC unit.
Now we need to figure out how to cordon that off so the cats cannot get on top of the AC unit and jump up on the fence and over. Whatever we tried did not work.

The other side of our fence on the neighbor's side is a regular wooden fence. Our cats (and stray cats can climb those wooden sides of the fences and easily jump back into our yard.
Sometimes they will come home if called; sometimes not. At this point we are concerned with securing the AC area. If we had to suddenly evacuate it would be difficult to get them all into their carriers. I have four cats which routinely jump out to the front yard as they please via the AC box.
- Yowbarb

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 11:33:57 AM »
I'm really torn about what to do with our guinea pig, Charlie.  We have, unfortunately, spoiled him rotten and he is accustomed to living a plush and sheltered lifestyle.  I guess he is going to have to adapt to eating grass.  I'm hoping he ascends with us.
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

fox

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 10:02:26 PM »
Yowbarb, your concern for your animals reminds me of "me". I have lots of cats also. At least 3 of my cats should be easy to catch most of the time. They are trained to spend the night in a 2 story cage (litterbox on the bottom and beds on top). It is the only place they get fed so they come running when I call. I know most folks don't cage their cats at night but it was self defense. They were little foundlings so being all the same age and liking to play, they were driving me crazy at night - running around all night, over the bed chasing each other, jumping up on counters and knocking stuff off. I now have peace at night and they have adjusted their playtime to daytime. As long as I remain calm, I hope they would load in the cage fairly easily where I could then put them in carriers.

fox

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 11:07:47 PM »
Yowbarb, your concern for your animals reminds me of "me". I have lots of cats also. At least 3 of my cats should be easy to catch most of the time. They are trained to spend the night in a 2 story cage (litterbox on the bottom and beds on top). It is the only place they get fed so they come running when I call. I know most folks don't cage their cats at night but it was self defense. They were little foundlings so being all the same age and liking to play, they were driving me crazy at night - running around all night, over the bed chasing each other, jumping up on counters and knocking stuff off. I now have peace at night and they have adjusted their playtime to daytime. As long as I remain calm, I hope they would load in the cage fairly easily where I could then put them in carriers.

fox

Fox  :) I think it's fine you have managed to coexist and train your catto babies to sleep at night. 
I am currently having to rethink how we are doing things one of our cats littlest - is missing.
I spent a lot of bucks setting up a smooth vinyl fence which the cats actually can not get out of - so the plan was to keep them all in the back yard (cat door to garage inside and another cat door leading into the house. The weak point of the whole setup was the AC - four of the cats can jump right on the AC and up on the roof and over the top.
Definitely needed to figure out how to secure that AC thing. If Yoda doesn't come back then we will have lost two cats since we moved here.
The yard and house is big enough for them , it's just fixing the AC so they cannot get up on it. I had some ideas but it didn't happen.
Well keep them safe and close,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 11:10:30 PM »
I guess the main idea is, have the pets secured in one yard so it won't be impossible to round them up and put them in their cat carriers and cages. If there has to be a sudden drive out of town and/or to the survival site, it will be a good idea to have the cats all secured.
- Yowbarb

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 06:50:28 AM »
good points here.
i have one cat who i'd love to bring along (i'm 90% sure i'll be on the move just before SHTF).  besides sticking him in the carrier and making my family (and myself) deal with whatever "smells" come out of there during the long car ride, i'm not so sure what to do. 
one person mentioned leaving one of the doors or windows open to let him escape, thus giving him a fighting chance, but i would only do that as a last resort.

deena

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 06:05:15 PM »
Are there any other guinea pig owners in here?  Chirp...  chirp.... chirp....

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 04:58:04 AM »

fox

Fox:  :) Good News Update: My little "Yoda" cat came to the door about 3:15 yesterday soon after we got back fro m going to some shelters to look for her. it is so wonderful to have her back...
A couple months ago, I had mentioned to my daughter we need to secure that AC box so they cannot jump up on it and out the fence. Told her we need to start keeping them in our back yard, what if we had to evacuate and three of them were running loose. They go hide if the wind suddenly comes up or it starts raining heavily... My son (who has been helping me locate her, who drove me to two animal shelters yesterday) had an idea to cat - proof that area. They can't climb up out of that smooth vinyl fence. The back yard isn't huge - but it would be good enough and we have a side garage door cat door and we can rig one up on our back patio slider..
Well I didn't mean to be so autobiographical - I know am not alone. Lots of people struggling with how to keep their pets safe... how to quickly round them up in a hurry if need be.
Our plan is not fully carried out yet. We do have a lot of carriers...
Thanks again for your concern,
Best O' Luck,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 05:09:35 AM »
BTW my little "Yoda" is spayed so she did not run off for that reason. We think a big mean neighbor cat might have chased her clear up around the corner...
So glad she's back and keeping her inside until we can secure things so the cats cannot jump on the AC box and out the fence...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 05:12:20 AM »
I do recommend people have sturdy hard plastic animal carriers, ready to put the cattos and doggies in. Not in the same carrier of course. In case it's time to evacuate or bug out to a survival site.

fox

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »
Cats are definitely higher maintenance than dogs, but hey just like us women, they are worth it! :D

(1) Since they freak out when traveling they must be well contained.

(2) They have higher protein requirements than dogs and this must be planned for. They would not do well on beans and rice IF you could get them to eat it, they MUST have meat as part of the diet.

(3) They do have the litter box problems (err needs).

My solutions (I hope):

(1) Not only have cat carriers but have enough larger fold up cages where there is enough room for beds, litter box and food and water. A wire dog kennel will work and homemade versions can be handily made from the fold up wire dog pens available at Petsmart and Petco. Wire cutters, cable ties and snap hooks (like on the end of leashes) is all that is needed for construction. To create more living space a loft type area can be created above the litter box. These of course would be for when you weren't living in a car etc. You might try to find cat carriers that a very small liter box would fit in. You will be much happier. Also buy lots of the plastic food service gloves at Sam's or Cosco. They are very cheap and you might not want to use drinking water to wash up after cleaning the cat box. Just some ideas that I have used.

(2) I order 3 months of dog food at a time (increasing to 6 months). I hope that I will be able to soften the dog food with water and add a little meat to increase the protein.

(3) Good old dirt or sand will do in the litter box - not as good but it may have to do.

fox

P.S. Yowbarb, its great your little Yoda is back!  :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:03:03 PM by fox »

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 06:54:44 PM »
Chirp... chirp... chirp...

Sunnybug

• Celeste of Phoenix
  • Members
  • Prolific Member
    • n/a
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 04:24:46 AM »
Chirp Chirp - we had one when I was a kid - I have very fond memories of Patches. We used to put his cage out in the back yard with the tray removed so that he could eat grass and get some sunshine. I often stop and look at the guineas in the pet store. They would be fairly easy to care for if you could get a few fresh veggies for them. But...I have kitties now.
Anyway - I think that if you had a small carrier and a folding cage, that might work for Bugging Out, just a thought. I have carrier's for the kitties but need to get leashes for them and some of that light weight litter for their BOB. Here is my list that I've compiled from several sources:

BOB: min 72 hrs
Bin for supplies/ box?
Cat Carriers x 2
Halters x 2 w/ ID Tags
Leashes
Medical Info
Pictures and Info
Water
Food / treats
Dishes / food & water
Bedding??
Brushes / scissors