Author Topic: Keeping your pets and domestic animals safe during cataclysms  (Read 17407 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Keeping your pets and domestic animals safe during cataclysms
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2013, 07:02:10 AM »
Thanks for posting these Barb!  I was so happy to see that news clip when the lady found her dog in the remains of her house!  What a great reunion it was!
That really was wonderful.  :'(  :) Going to post here, helping organizations for animals. These are posted in CNN's Impact Your World. -Yowbarb

HELP FOR PETS:  OK Humane  http://www.okhumane.org/blog/how-you-can-help-moore-tornado-damage

HELP FOR PETS:  Code 3 Associates  http://www.code3associates.org/

Report lost and found pets:  http://www.okclostpets.com/

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2013, 08:07:03 PM »
Cats are definitely higher maintenance than dogs, but hey just like us women, they are worth it! :D

(1) Since they freak out when traveling they must be well contained.

(2) They have higher protein requirements than dogs and this must be planned for. They would not do well on beans and rice IF you could get them to eat it, they MUST have meat as part of the diet.

(3) They do have the litter box problems (err needs).

My solutions (I hope):

(1) Not only have cat carriers but have enough larger fold up cages where there is enough room for beds, litter box and food and water. A wire dog kennel will work and homemade versions can be handily made from the fold up wire dog pens available at Petsmart and Petco. Wire cutters, cable ties and snap hooks (like on the end of leashes) is all that is needed for construction. To create more living space a loft type area can be created above the litter box. These of course would be for when you weren't living in a car etc. You might try to find cat carriers that a very small liter box would fit in. You will be much happier. Also buy lots of the plastic food service gloves at Sam's or Cosco. They are very cheap and you might not want to use drinking water to wash up after cleaning the cat box. Just some ideas that I have used.

(2) I order 3 months of dog food at a time (increasing to 6 months). I hope that I will be able to soften the dog food with water and add a little meat to increase the protein.

(3) Good old dirt or sand will do in the litter box - not as good but it may have to do.

fox

P.S. Yowbarb, its great your little Yoda is back!  :)

Very belated reply to your post, Fox. I missed it, and happened to notice it tonight.  :)
You haven't logged in for awhile...we would like to see you here again.
All The Best,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2013, 03:26:27 PM »
This is the beginning of a PETS list, posted by noproblemo2 years ago.
A pretty good start.
Members please add your ideas, here.
Yowbarb

PETS

Cat Food
Cat Litter
Dog Food
Pets Medications
Pet First Aid Kit
Chickens
Scratch

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »
I wish I could domesticate a Honey Badger...  Having a pet that even Cobras are afraid of would be pretty sweet.  Plus, they will hunt for themselves.  It's not happening though...  Might as well try to tame a Lion...
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2013, 04:35:35 PM »
I wish I could domesticate a Honey Badger...  Having a pet that even Cobras are afraid of would be pretty sweet.  Plus, they will hunt for themselves.  It's not happening though...  Might as well try to tame a Lion...

Now that you mention it though, they could be handy at keeping the snakes at bay...wonder how that would work, bring a wild pair and turn loose on the land? Of course it wouldn't be much fun encountering one on a walk..  :o

http://livinorange.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/meanbadger1.png

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:06:49 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2014, 12:03:50 PM »
I heard on The Weather Channel that they sell an APP for people's phones. It is all about safeguarding our pets. Not sure yet what services and info the App provides.
Sounds like a good idea.
Will post more...

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2014, 08:18:35 AM »

Now that you mention it though, they could be handy at keeping the snakes at bay...wonder how that would work, bring a wild pair and turn loose on the land? Of course it wouldn't be much fun encountering one on a walk..  :o

Nice Barb. I would like to add a couple of Ostrich's to my list of back-yard friends...
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2014, 08:54:04 AM »

Nice Barb. I would like to add a couple of Ostrich's to my list of back-yard friends...
JKB I missed your post.  ;D It made me laff...the thought of an intruder trying to get past the ostriches...

caringangie

• Trusted Member
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2016, 05:20:45 PM »
Yes...remember to store enouch dry food or/and canned food for your pets!
I find those dried chicken strips could come in handy...

Angela

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2016, 02:42:21 PM »
Yes...remember to store enouch dry food or/and canned food for your pets!
I find those dried chicken strips could come in handy...

Angela
I often wrestle with how to feed a carnivore pet when the food runs out.  Even a year's worth of food might last a year or so, but then what?  The solutions I see people offer sound excellent on paper, but implementing them might not be all that easy.

For example, since you posted this,  if you had enough pet food for exactly one year, and it lasted exactly that long, what would you try/do when that food runs out?

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2016, 07:45:48 PM »
Ween them off the food and set them out to hunt for it, too? They are carnivores, after all. If you don't wait until all their canned food is gone, you can give them something to eat once in a while (while they learn to cope with the new situation).
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

caringangie

• Trusted Member
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2016, 08:45:11 PM »
Ween them off the food and set them out to hunt for it, too? They are carnivores, after all. If you don't wait until all their canned food is gone, you can give them something to eat once in a while (while they learn to cope with the new situation).

Yes ilinda, you are right. How much food do we store? And what if it runs out too soon? I have asked myself the same question...

Socrates; Yes as you mentioned, all we can do is to let the pets find food themselves as hopefully by that time there are plants growing and some critters crawling...

Great question ilinda and great solution Socrates about weening them off slowly!

Angela