Author Topic: Good dogs for a survival group  (Read 4925 times)

Morgana2012

• Trusted Member
Re: Good dogs for a survival group
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 07:33:18 PM »
The Border Collie is an interesting, intelligent dog but for saving your life, the Rhodesian Ridgeback does sound alot braver.
The Rhodesian Ridgeback is an amazing dog which can chase a lion up atree apparently gentle and loyal with family thick padded pads on feet can run thirty miles keeping up with a horse.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »
The Border Collie is an interesting, intelligent dog but for saving your life, the Rhodesian Ridgeback does sound alot braver.
The Rhodesian Ridgeback is an amazing dog which can chase a lion up atree apparently gentle and loyal with family thick padded pads on feet can run thirty miles keeping up with a horse.

Morgana, thanks you reminded me one reason I was originally thinking of getting a Ridgeback, the thickly padded feet. It could run alongside  the people on foot and on horseback for a long ways.

throwback1952

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog  is my choice.
This is Gunther just a puppy now but will weigh around 140 lbs as an adult.

Sorry but I had to remove the photo because it was too big pls resize it and repost. What a wonderful photo...
pup 12-10-2011 001.JPG
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 01:09:39 AM by Yowbarb »
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 08:19:49 PM »
Throwback1952 what a good pup you have!
All The Best of Luck with him,
Yowbarb

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 06:41:32 AM »
Throwback1952...Loved the pic, what a great pup!

throwback1952

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 10:39:33 AM »
Thank you. He is a great dog may be the best I have ever had. My last 2 dogs were Labrador Retrievers I miss them but this dog worked out really well for me.
Sorry about the size of the picture don't know how to re-size them?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

Morgana2012

• Trusted Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 10:57:52 PM »
GOLDEN RETRIEVER "ANGEL" SAVES BOY FROM COUGAR!!  Here's an unbelievable dog story,  http://youtu.be/8Iw7dKC8_2w

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 01:05:03 PM »
Why some people want to expand their domain and or reintroduce predators is beyond me. The wolf was hunted to near extinction for a reason they kill in packs and are hard to fight off even armed. That boy was lucky he had his dog by him and it was a cougar and not a wolf pack.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 07:32:29 AM »
What do you guys think of Boston Terriers?

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 07:44:01 AM »
Steedy that sounds like a good all around dog, a little small but if you take all the qualities together not bad,

http://www.terrificpets.com/dog_breeds/Boston_Terrier.asp

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 03:36:09 PM »
Morgana..What a wonderful dog story, I just loved that Angel dog!  As far "good dogs" for survival groups", I'm sure there's quite a few that fit the needs well.  I know my main concern, was to get one that would be,  1) a great watchdog...needs to be able to send out the alarm, when something is wrong, but not an excessive barker when something is not.  2) large enough to be intimidating and instill fear in any predators (mostly the human predators),  and possibbly 3) a good hunting dog.  We decided to keep going to the local animal shelter until we found the "right" one.  I just knew as soon as I saw him.  Duke is a shepherd/lab mix (possibly something else in there as well, because he is exceptionally large, perhaps greyhound even for how he runs!)  He's about 18 months old, who I think actually had some type of professional training, either in law enforcement or something.  He is just perfect!  He is a gentle giant around my granddaughter, but a true watchdog in every sense, and so smart he absolutely amazes me daily!  Personally, I've always felt mixed breeds (a good old mutt), was the best type of dog.  You won't have to worry about them being to closely bred to have numerous issues and problems.   Not to mention, that if you Rescue an unwanted dog from the pound,  you've got a loyal friend for life!  Total cost for fees (including being neutered, licensed and vet checked and micro-chipped, only $160.  And knowing that you saved a lost soul....priceless!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 06:13:30 PM »
Morgana..What a wonderful dog story, I just loved that Angel dog!  As far "good dogs" for survival groups", I'm sure there's quite a few that fit the needs well.  I know my main concern, was to get one that would be,  1) a great watchdog...needs to be able to send out the alarm, when something is wrong, but not an excessive barker when something is not.  2) large enough to be intimidating and instill fear in any predators (mostly the human predators),  and possibbly 3) a good hunting dog.  We decided to keep going to the local animal shelter until we found the "right" one.  I just knew as soon as I saw him.  Duke is a shepherd/lab mix (possibly something else in there as well, because he is exceptionally large, perhaps greyhound even for how he runs!)  He's about 18 months old, who I think actually had some type of professional training, either in law enforcement or something.  He is just perfect!  He is a gentle giant around my granddaughter, but a true watchdog in every sense, and so smart he absolutely amazes me daily!  Personally, I've always felt mixed breeds (a good old mutt), was the best type of dog.  You won't have to worry about them being to closely bred to have numerous issues and problems.   Not to mention, that if you Rescue an unwanted dog from the pound,  you've got a loyal friend for life!  Total cost for fees (including being neutered, licensed and vet checked and micro-chipped, only $160.  And knowing that you saved a lost soul....priceless!

This sounds like our Jaws dog. After the fact I figured out he might have been part wolf. He was really really smart, loyal and completely gentle with us but a bit of a terror to running cows, horses and people on bikes; he got into trouble... Fierce toward neighbor dogs... hard (impossible) to control. We needed our acreage fenced which it was not...Hubby brought him home from pound. He was desperately in need of training of which I had no clue at the time. He grew about four five inches taller than we figured he would. Whatta dog. Definitely made us feel safe out there in the woods. Coyotes and coyote dogs ran off immediately when he started growling in their direction.
- Yowbarb
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:15:35 PM by Yowbarb »

SocratesR

Rhodesian Ridgeback
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 02:18:56 PM »
Link to a post with important info on the Rhodesian Ridgeback:
more animal ideas

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 01:10:34 AM »
GOLDEN RETRIEVER "ANGEL" SAVES BOY FROM COUGAR!!  Here's an unbelievable dog story,  http://youtu.be/8Iw7dKC8_2w
Good posts, Morgana. We miss you on here.
- Barb T.

WhiteHusky

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2015, 11:56:48 AM »
Have you taken a look at the Husky breed?