Author Topic: My wife thinks I'm nuts (2011-2012 Topic)  (Read 6921 times)

VillageIdiot

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: My wife thinks I'm nuts (2011-2012 Topic)
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 07:16:59 AM »
I was having a conversation with a couple of family members Saturday & accidentally said... "well, once everything collapses... Blah blah blah". My sister screams back, nothing is going to collapse! You are all over the place with your crap!

I just said, forget about it and continued the conversation. I believe most people get VERY offended when you put a truth in their lap that could possibly burst their special little security bubble. When you push that red pill at them, the answer you get is hell no!

It sickened me to drive back yesterday. All the trees have brown leaves. Forest fires have ravaged 60% of the countryside there. And as I drove across Pine Creek Lake, it was dried up and green grass was growing all over the bottom. There was just the water in the river channel down in the bottom.

"No, everything will stay the same & be perfect forever & ever & ever & ever. Pink unicorns are flying out of my butt as I speak...."

Oh well.
Erv
Don't feel bad, bro! My father was in town last week and we also had a slightly heated discussion where the US economy is headed. While I was sharing with him various predictions of the dollar and Stock Market collapsing, in addition to actual trends during the past 20 years, his response was "...the Stock Market and dollar will NEVER collapse..." Yuppers, Dad. It must be a really pretty world looking through your rose colored glasses.  >:(
Live long and prosper!

ASEEKERTOO

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 09:46:18 AM »
A friend of mine and I have dang near pawed the ground and charged each other to
Butt heads like two wild Rams in the Wild over discussions. :) [ wow, first time ever
I have used the words butt heads in a legitimate ' clean ' sentence ].....  :) 
[ note: there is text in WHITE below. Can not see it unless the cursor is placed
over the text below and then clicking the left button to highlight it.  :)   ]
Our fine economic system framework can not collapse unless it is systematically
attacked or by the willfull decision of our ' leaders ' to dismantle it for something
else. Otherwise it should chug along for many many more years without problem.
The fact that the system looks as bad as it does means that outside forces are at work.
Ancient Prophecy appears to be fulfilled in the Nightly News.

jrobert69

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 10:40:21 AM »
Its cool now- She loves the bulk shopping stuff. Just come up with an amount to spend and she is off. Im just sticking with the power grid failure possibility now. She still thinks I should be medicated, but its to be expected with normalcy bias.

terrypat

• Prolific Member
  • My intention is to lead with the heart
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 03:47:21 PM »
Cognitive Dissonance from Wiki....

Cognitive dissonance is a discomfort caused by holding conflicting ideas simultaneously. The theory of cognitive dissonance proposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance. They do this by changing their attitudes, beliefs, and actions.[2] Dissonance is also reduced by justifying, blaming, and denying. The phrase was coined by Leon Festinger in his 1956 book When Prophecy Fails, which chronicled the followers of a UFO cult as reality clashed with their fervent beliefs.[3][4] It is one of the most influential and extensively studied theories in social psychology. A closely related term, cognitive disequilibrium, was coined by Jean Piaget to refer to the experience of a discrepancy between something new and something already known or believed.

Experience can clash with expectations, as, for example, with buyer's remorse following the purchase of an expensive item. In a state of dissonance, people may feel surprise,[2] dread, guilt, anger, or embarrassment. People are biased to think of their choices as correct, despite any contrary evidence. This bias gives dissonance theory its predictive power, shedding light on otherwise puzzling irrational and destructive behavior.

A classical example of this idea (and the origin of the expression "sour grapes") is expressed in the fable The Fox and the Grapes by Aesop (ca. 620–564 BCE). In the story, a fox sees some high-hanging grapes and wishes to eat them. When the fox is unable to think of a way to reach them, he surmises that the grapes are probably not worth eating, as they must not be ripe or that they are sour. This example follows a pattern: one desires something, finds it unattainable, and reduces one's dissonance by criticizing it. Jon Elster calls this pattern "adaptive preference formation."[1]

You have been telling people that this is the 11th hour.

Now you must go back & tell people  this  is  "The Hour" .

The Elders , Oraibi Arizona, Hopi Nation

chaunska

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 05:33:42 PM »
Wondering about cognative dissonance....example....When I am heading somewhere important and I get a flat tire on the way....I say "thank you Spirits for giving me the flat and protecting me."  (they may have been keeping me from a bad accident happening up the road)  We always know that the Spirits have our backs, and that a lot of times, this can appear as inconvenient or bad luck, when really is it something just unseen and misunderstood by our physical feelings.   Would this sort of thinking be considered cognitive dissonance?   Just to clarify, this way of thinking is never used as an excuse, just a recognition of the Spirits at work in our lives.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 01:44:26 PM »
I just joined the board and this is my first post.
So the fact your wife thinks you're nuts don't really surprise me.
Everyone thinks I'm nuts.
I try to stay prepared as we never know when the power grid may go,
try as we may, we can't prepare for every thing that could happen,
so dried food and water and survival goodies is where I'm at right now.
guess I should introduce myself with a new thread huh?
Good luck,
skip

Hello xhdskip,
belated welcome to the Town Hall.
You just received an applaud for your post.
We hope you will continue to be on here reading and posting.
Barbara Lou Townsend
Topic Administrator
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:14:16 AM by Yowbarb »

sineck

• Trusted Member
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 10:59:16 PM »
ive given up trying a long time ago. i just do what i need to do. prepare your boxes. but your camel back. do your shopping that you need to do. when the shtf our loved ones will know the nature of things. will see the reality in our actions and theirs. im just not worrying right now. just trying to get the things done that i need to. everything else will come along. even the wife that thinks im nuts. but deep down she knows im not. thats just my secret though.
Life is the element of disoriented illusions. A character of self- being with a mind of self awareness. Grievance combined with happiness in a fortitude of harmony and socio communicative disagreements of proffered existence. SINECK,

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 07:53:18 PM »
Jrobert69:  As you can see by all the responses to your posting, many of us are in the same boat as you are.  I myself, have two daughters who smirk and laugh behind my back and ridicule me, (very sad) and I know many people think I am a conspiritist sp? or just simply a radical nut.  That is OK with me, once things start popping they will remember what I told them.

Another thought..... Sometimes people take the attitude of your wife for a couple of reasons which are entirely valid to them:

1.  Having to think about terrible things happening and changing their life drastically like an economic collapse or solar flares, earthquakes, etc, is simply too horrible to contemplate so they do not allow their mind to even entertain the thought at all.  They try to shut you up and say they don't want to hear it, or they immediately ridicule you to hopefully shut you up. It simply frightens them too much to contemplate.

2.  Unfortunately, some people are so self absorbed in satisfying their wants and needs, they can't even comprehend anything happening to upset their precious way of life.  They are not awakened spiritually, and/or they are relying on their religion to protect them.  (Jesus will come and rapture me before anything bad happens.)  Or I don't want to think about it, if it does happen I will just die then, because I would never want to live without my current luxuries and conveniences.

Not sure if these scenarios fit your wife, but having to contemplate a drastic change of lifestyle is more than many can even imagine and they resent any monies spent by the prepper because it is less money for them to use for their own wants/needs.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 08:19:06 AM »
Its cool now- She loves the bulk shopping stuff. Just come up with an amount to spend and she is off. Im just sticking with the power grid failure possibility now. She still thinks I should be medicated, but its to be expected with normalcy bias.

Just want to acknowledge this again.
Sounds like you have found your balance in the situation.
Well Done on that.
Like you said, one point (all of us) can present is, the possibility of a grid failure. Scientists and even MSM News (in a watered down way) do say we are in for a big solar flare.
For that reason alone people need to have an off the grid plan. Cash on hand they may need if  ATMs fail.
Generators.
Food and water.
As far as the doubting Thomases going along with the idea of a survival hideout far from the coastlines, with survival goods buried and hidden, with a reinforced geodesic dome or buried storm shelter... well some people will never accept that.
It's hard to confront but we all just need to try to set these things up for ourselves and for those we love.
Some sort of communal setup with shared land may not be the easiest feat to accomplish but  if a dozen people throw in some money it would be easier to get to the goal that way. It costs for land, shelter, goods...
Well you all know this.
Thankfully my only son and one of my four daughters have both said they agree, we should get some land and a shelter for the family. They are both either working so much or into their daily life they don't slow down long enough to really take a look at the evidence but they have heard enough to realize that something could happen in the next two years. 
There is really no one really pushing this along besides myself...
One suggestion try cruising the BBC and European news of quality there may be more msm coverage of all that we are talking about. Just for an example The BBC was all over the falling Russian satellite and CNN was snoozing on it. The German's published a photo of the satellite falling in flames as it entered the atmosphere. I just didn't see anything like that in the US news. There was some covereage but the day it happened didn't find it. Possibly after the fact. If I were in charge of CNN I would be all on that.
- Yowbarb
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:07:02 PM by Yowbarb »

jrobert69

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 02:43:49 PM »
Thanks Yowbarb

I pick up new items every now and then. I have what I need for now. She accepted me accepting it. Ive embraced information from all sorts of locations across the web and elsewhere. You know your a pro at dissecting information when you can go down the forums at glp and pick out just the headlines that have any meaning without getting caught up in the mess over there. ;)

The US is wacked, almost like the medieval times. Keep the peasants ignorant without them knowing you are.

It will be an interesting year- It will certainly be the mother of all "I told you so"

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 07:10:38 PM »
Thanks Yowbarb

I pick up new items every now and then. I have what I need for now. She accepted me accepting it. Ive embraced information from all sorts of locations across the web and elsewhere. You know your a pro at dissecting information when you can go down the forums at glp and pick out just the headlines that have any meaning without getting caught up in the mess over there. ;)

The US is wacked, almost like the medieval times. Keep the peasants ignorant without them knowing you are.

It will be an interesting year- It will certainly be the mother of all "I told you so"

You do sound adept at getting info! That's great!
I cruise through glp too. Yes, it is a mess!
If you see the identical post over there it because I am over there posting too. I post it here first.
Keep on a posting a lot of people can utilyze what you find out...
Yes it will probably be the mother of all years. Time will tell...
It could be peaceful after awhile...ahhhh. zzzzzzzz
Yowbarb

SurvivePoleShift.com

• SurvivePoleShift.com
  • Trusted Member
  • Don't be scared.. Be prepared!
    • Survive Pole Shift
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 07:43:06 PM »
I was having a conversation with a couple of family members Saturday & accidentally said... "well, once everything collapses... Blah blah blah". My sister screams back, nothing is going to collapse! You are all over the place with your crap!

I just said, forget about it and continued the conversation. I believe most people get VERY offended when you put a truth in their lap that could possibly burst their special little security bubble. When you push that red pill at them, the answer you get is hell no!

It sickened me to drive back yesterday. All the trees have brown leaves. Forest fires have ravaged 60% of the countryside there. And as I drove across Pine Creek Lake, it was dried up and green grass was growing all over the bottom. There was just the water in the river channel down in the bottom.

"No, everything will stay the same & be perfect forever & ever & ever & ever. Pink unicorns are flying out of my butt as I speak...."

Oh well.
Erv
Don't feel bad, bro! My father was in town last week and we also had a slightly heated discussion where the US economy is headed. While I was sharing with him various predictions of the dollar and Stock Market collapsing, in addition to actual trends during the past 20 years, his response was "...the Stock Market and dollar will NEVER collapse..." Yuppers, Dad. It must be a really pretty world looking through your rose colored glasses.  >:(

I am in the same boat.  Entire family thinks I am nuts!
Don't be scared.. Be prepared!
Underground Shelter Community
http://www.FortTerraNova.org

Find out what they don't want you to know.
http://www.survivepoleshift.com

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 08:15:24 PM »

Oh well.
Erv

I am in the same boat.  Entire family thinks I am nuts!

Good Evening and Welcome, SurvivePoleShift.com
Yep, more than a few of us here are the "Official Tin Foil Hat" of our family.
Oh well keep on a prepping... We cannot be so sure what will happen but it has always been considered a GOOD idea to prepare for tough times. Most anyone should be able to agree with that much. I do understand many things are controversial and folks may not necessarily think we will have the huge quakes, 200 mph winds and other events. It does seem like most people  should already know about the tornadoes and how only a dome or underground shelter will hold up to those. Ask them if they heard what happened in Tuscaloosa or the records that broke in 2011.
They should already know a mega solar flare could happen this year... Spaceweather, NASA sites CNN will bear it out. The possibility of a war evenv if it is a limited scale nuclear war could have lots of consequences. Shelter, food, water alternate sources of power, survival gear, protection, seeds. Maybe people will understand if we just tell them becaue of the possibility of severe earth changes due to global warming blah blah, or the tornados, or the solar flare or the war which could happen... for this reason time to prepare, some people could relate to that even if they do not believe the dollar will fall or the existence of Planet X. BTW many years ago I took a look at  the ephemeris and read a couple articles on future events from the ephermeris and it did say things will get a whole lot worse before they get better. There could definitely be a limited scale nuclear war like any time. These things are not engraved in stone... these are probabilities... (I don't really live by astrology but it is part of my frame of reference; learned to make a chart back in the 70's.
Read some things in the ephemeris - book listing planetary positions and aspects... going far into the future.) I believe we, individually and as mankind have a lot to do with our own futures...but some natural events of  colossal magnitude - it's best to just prepare for them...
Well I wish you all the best.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:00:59 AM by Yowbarb »

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
It is a sad fact that soon all the unbelievers will be knocking on our door wanting to know all the things they would not listen to earlier.  And then it will be too late for most.  But every person must walk their own path, and even though we have many loved ones we are concerned for, we have to come to terms with the fact that all will not awaken in time, and things will happen as they should.  I myself have had to come to terms with the fact of having a daughter and son in law in Nevada who may never come to terms with the facts until it is too late for them to get from there to our family safe place.  All I can do is hope and in the meantime I have learned to keep my mouth shut and not talk about it as doing so caused a huge rift between us for several months.  Very very sad.

implo23

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 09:40:35 AM »
Cognitive Dissonance from Wiki....

Cognitive dissonance is a discomfort caused by holding conflicting ideas simultaneously. The theory of cognitive dissonance proposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance. They do this by changing their attitudes, beliefs, and actions.[2] Dissonance is also reduced by justifying, blaming, and denying. The phrase was coined by Leon Festinger in his 1956 book When Prophecy Fails, which chronicled the followers of a UFO cult as reality clashed with their fervent beliefs.[3][4] It is one of the most influential and extensively studied theories in social psychology. A closely related term, cognitive disequilibrium, was coined by Jean Piaget to refer to the experience of a discrepancy between something new and something already known or believed.

Experience can clash with expectations, as, for example, with buyer's remorse following the purchase of an expensive item. In a state of dissonance, people may feel surprise,[2] dread, guilt, anger, or embarrassment. People are biased to think of their choices as correct, despite any contrary evidence. This bias gives dissonance theory its predictive power, shedding light on otherwise puzzling irrational and destructive behavior.

A classical example of this idea (and the origin of the expression "sour grapes") is expressed in the fable The Fox and the Grapes by Aesop (ca. 620–564 BCE). In the story, a fox sees some high-hanging grapes and wishes to eat them. When the fox is unable to think of a way to reach them, he surmises that the grapes are probably not worth eating, as they must not be ripe or that they are sour. This example follows a pattern: one desires something, finds it unattainable, and reduces one's dissonance by criticizing it. Jon Elster calls this pattern "adaptive preference formation."[1]

The usual example given of cognitive dissonance is failed apocalypse predictions, and the reactions of those who believed that it would happen....

"Perhaps the most famous case in the early study of cognitive dissonance was described by Leon Festinger and others in the book When Prophecy Fails.[5] The authors infiltrated a religious group that was expecting the imminent end of the world on a certain date. When that date passed without the world ending, the movement did not disband. Instead, the group came to believe that they had been spared in order to spread their teachings to others, a justification that resolved the conflict between their previous expectations and reality."