Author Topic: My wife thinks I'm nuts (2011-2012 Topic)  (Read 6222 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: My wife thinks I'm nuts (2011-2012 Topic)
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2012, 10:04:43 AM »
It is a sad fact that soon all the unbelievers will be knocking on our door wanting to know all the things they would not listen to earlier.  And then it will be too late for most.  But every person must walk their own path, and even though we have many loved ones we are concerned for, we have to come to terms with the fact that all will not awaken in time, and things will happen as they should.  I myself have had to come to terms with the fact of having a daughter and son in law in Nevada who may never come to terms with the facts until it is too late for them to get from there to our family safe place.  All I can do is hope and in the meantime I have learned to keep my mouth shut and not talk about it as doing so caused a huge rift between us for several months.  Very very sad.

Endtimesgal_2012 I'm sorry to hear that...
Maybe you should send out a simple printed statement and whatever proof or indicators you have, and some suggestions, mail it and leave it at that...
Continue on with your own plan... Maybe with a little luck the situation will turn around and they start saving food at least, and will join you...
Best of Luck,
Yowbarb

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2012, 10:31:03 AM »
Re. cognitive dissonance:

A lot of that might happen within the next few months, but it will be because the events that transpire will be inconsistent with the beliefs of many persons.

So, what happens in cases of cognitive dissonance?  Dizziness, disorientation, nausea, feinting, anger, withdrawal, etc.  Does anyone have some references to more details?

I once experienced dizziness when a woman whom I was looking at suddenly lost her wig, and I momentarily recognized her as being a different acquaintance who could not have been present.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 08:01:16 PM »

So, what happens in cases of cognitive dissonance?  Dizziness, disorientation, nausea, feinting, anger, withdrawal, etc.  Does anyone have some references to more details?

I once experienced dizziness when a woman whom I was looking at suddenly lost her wig, and I momentarily recognized her as being a different acquaintance who could not have been present.

You don't really get the symptoms as you describe - the person finds a way to resolve the dissonance. For example, someone expecting an apocolapse that doesn't appear, thinks up a good reason why it didn't happen - usually postponing it to a later date.

Short term (immediate) versus long term (after thinking about it).
Motion sickness is a reaction to cognitive dissonance; what the inner ear feels versus what the eyes see.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness :
[start extract]
Motion sickness or kinetosis, also known as travel sickness, is a condition in which a disagreement exists between visually perceived movement and the vestibular system's sense of movement. Depending on the cause it can also be referred to as seasickness, car sickness, simulation sickness or airsickness.[1]

Dizziness, fatigue, and nausea are the most common symptoms of motion sickness.
[end extract]
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:09:22 PM by Jimfarmer »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 07:09:20 AM »
Perhaps you might show your wife the "official" recommendations by FEMA,http://www.fema.gov/plan/index.shtm

Homeland Security  http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/citizens-preparedness.shtm

The Red Cross  http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.86f46a12f382290517a8f210b80f78a0/?vgnextoid=92d51a53f1c37110VgnVCM1000003481a10aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

Also, there are many recent news reports about weather related events just in the United States that include everything from fires, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, and as another person commented, escalating food prices. 
If your wife is like most mothers, she'll soon be on your team.  Hope this helps.

To h.cometti: Not sure if I acknowledged this post before, but these are excellent ideas.
Thanks for your contributions,
Yowbarb