Author Topic: Bug out gear a few thoughts  (Read 9988 times)

family times41607

• none
Bug out gear a few thoughts
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:38:04 PM »
  Well. I was reading some past topics, the one about gear and equipment, what vehicle to use, and when to use it.  It just occurred to me that our group doesn't miss a trick.  I have thought about these things for 7 yrs. Thought that I had everything covered.  Then you blow my mind with these ideas..  So hear we go, and I know I'm new here, so please bare with me.
  We all have to remember that our main purpose in all of this-[ life preservation]  One of the problems is that some of items that we are gonna use to do that goes away.  Batteries, food, water, ect... Lets all come up with ideas and solutions, to prolong these things.  Plus some people may not be as far along as we are in there preparations. So lets see if we can go from most important to not so much,and see what our diffrent prospectives can drum up, who knows we may find something that our great minds may have missed.  You know that we are more powerful together, than solo.  I don't know how it works but if one of the moderators could Tally up the findings then we would have a web voted road map on the do's and dont's.  Just a thought...
  Also I work side by side with our friends in blue, in the public service career, as a firefighter.  The same systems that track terrorist, track all activity on the web. If you are having packages mail to your house, cover your tracks, don't hang around when things go south so that people know where to get the goods.  Move them, hide them, hide yourself.  OK, take a few days and get your lists together.  Lets brainstorm, if we were all in business together we would be millionairs.

family times41607

• none
Re: Bug out gear a few thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 01:14:54 PM »
   Thanks for the info,  Like you my gear is extensive, and well thought out for a group.  I also have some of the skills you spoke about.  For the ones that are just starting out, I will try to help and you guys are welcome to add to it if you want.
Bug out location
food,mre's,soups,rice things that are easily prepared with hot water
lots of water/good water source
medical, trauma kits, antibiotics, herbs
nic batteries/rechargeable/solar panel with power plugs,these will last for a while
wet weather gear/cold weather gear
weapons,ammo,knives,multi-tool
building equipment
generator,diesel fuel
cookstove,lighting
two way radios
ham radio
blankets, cots,ect
  Most people store things so that they can keep a watchful eye.  My approach is diffrent that my location is private land, so we stored things in several diffrent locations around the area. Then once that was to our satisfaction, we set up caches in route to our location. If we get hit we will not loose everything at once.
  Boots,shoes,Items that wear out, like errrv said its good to know how to repair them.  Old tires are a great item. Very helpful. Also figure out how to make grain alcohol, there are a number of uses.
  One more thing, keep your freezer full, and the day before you bug out jerky anything you can and take it with you. I will follow along on this topic and add things. Lets all brainstorm

throwback1952

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:59:36 PM »
What do you all think of this water filter system.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/berkey_light_big_berkey_water_filter_british_berkefeld_portable_purifier.aspx

I like that you can clean the filter easy and keep using them.
If you really wanted to you could just buy the filters elements drill a couple of holes and attach them to the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and stack it on top another 5 gallon bucket to filter water.
Very simple design one guy has been filtering rain water for his family.
Not sure if it gets all the nasty bugs out but I like the simple design,long life of the filter elements, looks like it can do large quantities of filtered water.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:29:50 PM »

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/berkey_light_big_berkey_water_filter_british_berkefeld_portable_purifier.aspx

I've seen it recommended in at least two places.

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 09:28:57 AM »

I ordered one of these recently and got an email from them saying it was illegal for them to ship it to California, so I had to cancel the order.  Meh!  ::)

VillageIdiot

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »

I ordered one of these recently and got an email from them saying it was illegal for them to ship it to California, so I had to cancel the order.  Meh!  ::)
Try goberkey.com or locate a local Survival Supplier. Worst case, this is a retailer near me who has very good prices: fsurv.com and may ship to you.
Live long and prosper!

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 10:24:04 AM »

Try goberkey.com or locate a local Survival Supplier. Worst case, this is a retailer near me who has very good prices: fsurv.com and may ship to you.

Thanks VI, I'll try one of those retailers.

Sunnybug

• Celeste of Phoenix
  • Members
  • Prolific Member
    • n/a
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 03:40:14 PM »
We have a berkey light and use it everyday. I have the black filters and have had to clean them once this year, it comes with instructions on how. Have to say that I really love it.
Before going to work this morning I filled it up with tap water that had so much chlorine in it that I remarked that it smelled like pool water. When I get home tonight I will have nice clean tasting water. There are a few things that it doesn't filter but for everday I really like it. Lots of great info on the site that VI suggested  :) 
Just my take on it.
Sunny
Never Give UP! EVER

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 02:19:56 PM »
A buddy of mine sent me this link today.  CHECK OUT THE PRICES FOR GAS MASKS!!!  JKB

http://budk.com/default.aspx?sourcecode=GOBBK&gclid=CInfp5iP3a0CFQiBhwod03wjCg
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 02:23:23 PM »
JKB, here is the page for all 3 that are offered on that site.

http://budk.com/Military-Surplus/Gas-Masks

errrv

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 04:23:49 PM »
I paid $22.00 shipped for the israeli model with the large viewports (triangular). eBay. You gotta make sure they come with a filter or you just paid $10 to get one more. Cheaperthandirt.com has the best filter price & they are sealed.
I have the eagle industries drop leg pouch. It's compact.
Erv

family times41607

• none
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 01:11:43 PM »
  Couple more ideas,  I recently bought a propane generator off of the trade in post.  It works great, very cheap compared to a new one.  It pushes 5500 watts, pretty quiet.  It also can be converted to diesel if need be.  What is everyone take on generators?  I think they can be usefull.  Thought about digging a hole, sort of like a military spider hole.  With fresh air intakes, exaust, and plumbing the propane line.  Trying to eleminate noise, and cut down on the visuals.  I recently seen plastic 55 gallon barrels 25 a piece.  Great fresh water catchers.  One fellow had 25 class A fuel grade gas cans for sale for 3 dollars a piece.  I was thinking while I talked to him,(bet you are gonna regret selling these)  So check your local trade in posts, yard sales, and auctions.  People are selling things that people like us want.  No need of paying retail, if you do not need to. 
  one more thing get all the seeds that you can, store them, in a dark, dry, constant temp.  Good luck to all

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 02:25:47 PM »
I think I am Good-to-go for the most part, but you just never really know for sure...  I can't wait to get my hands on some of these...

http://www..com/headline-news/stealth-wear-new-counter-surveillance-clothing-makes-you-invisible-to-drones_01112013

I wonder how much do these things cost???  Anyone know?

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »
I see it disappeared pretty quickly, here you go...

http://www.shtfplan.com/

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 05:42:25 PM »
This caught my eye...
- Yowbarb
...........................................................................................
Collapsible Camp Washing Station
http://canvascampers.com/index.php?topic=2418.0

The Happy Camper: http://bit.ly/16nCq5N

vik-king
Pretty Comfortable
ARTONTOYS
State: NJ/USA
TV: 2010 VW ROUTON
POP: 1984 VIKING 21DR

Built my own camp Kitchen with working sink
« on: April 28, 2013, 09:22:26 AM »

"This is my first attempt to include a picture with my post hope it appears.
last year I started working on a light weight portable camp kitchen with a working sink and water attachment .During the winter I had a chance to tweak it for my own personal needs. I had every thing I needed to create this project in my garage except for about 15.00 worth of plumbing parts i found at my local home depot. The last mod I did to it was add the eye bolts so i can stake it down to the ground to avoid anything or wind from tipping it over. I added the towel rack with hooks and it also now has a swing out aluminum (old tent pole) arm that will support a lantern for night time washing. As you can see it folds down nice and flat for transport and storage."