Author Topic: Bug out gear a few thoughts  (Read 10829 times)

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
Re: Bug out gear a few thoughts
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »
Is this what you are talking about?

http://pendletonyardsales.com/i/41024832

http://d3ba019d3ddb1c168333-abf1f57fffbc7ef3c6ef6e4ff761e3f7.r35.cf2.rackcdn.com/s640_4784c9b1ba9efe4537eae82668873.jpg

http://d3ba019d3ddb1c168333-abf1f57fffbc7ef3c6ef6e4ff761e3f7.r35.cf2.rackcdn.com/s640_4784c9b1bab4734537eae81929134.jpg

http://d3ba019d3ddb1c168333-abf1f57fffbc7ef3c6ef6e4ff761e3f7.r35.cf2.rackcdn.com/s640_4784c9b1bac4864537eae86222590.jpg

All 3 for only $63 :o

BK, I don't know if you were responding to me or not, but, this looks a lot like, but not exactly like, the sleeping bags the Marine Corps uses, and who knows, they may have upgraded.  If you can get all of that for $63 I hope you already have done so.  I've seen them go for over $200.00...
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 06:52:32 PM »
Speaking of bug out gear, in two trips to my Aunt & Uncle's now, we have put our solar lanterns and flashlights to the test.  I hate to say, but I am a little concerned...  These things work great when they are running off of an electrical charge.  But, the whole point of having solar lanterns and flashlights is to have free night time light provided by the sun.  I have noticed a pattern now.  They are much dimmer when I run them off of solar power than they are when they are running on an electrical charge. 

We have five lanterns and four flashlights right now and our last trip to their place, we hung all five lanterns around our campsite to provide a decent radius of light.  We only ran them for three or four hours at night, and they are supposed to be good for at least six.  Like I said, they were a lot brighter when I was running them off the electrical charge batteries as opposed to the solar charge batteries.  In addition, I hung all of our lanterns and flashlights out to charge first thing in the morning, so, they got a good 10 to 11 hour solar charge.  I'm going to have to rethink our lantern situation I'm afraid.

By the way, these are the lanterns and flashlights that you can get at Hope Depot, not to throw any names out there...  Ha ha ha!!!  Sorry.

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 09:10:33 PM »
JKB, Thanks for the info on the sleeping bags & on the solar items I have noticed the same problem with my solar/crank radio.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 02:05:38 PM »
I really hadn't thought about it but, yeah, I probably would...  I mean, if my wife wants to leave me post-Armageddon because I look stupid with a beard, happy trails...  If you are worried about what you look like while surviving the end of the world, well, dare I say I don't think you're gonna last very long.
Yowbarb Note:
I just found this...health and survival benefits of having a beard. Also important to keep it clean, slightly oiled, etc. Sources: I can't quite pinpoint this source material... More on this later.  Yowbarb  ;) PS, I think Jake Gyllenhaal and most of these guys look much better now, with a beard:

http://www.newnownext.com/better-with-a-beard-9-celebs-with-and-without-facial-hair/09/2012/ 
Radiation Protection Dosimetry Journal|
University of Southern Queensland
uv rays
http://www.newnownext.com/beards-keep-you-young-healthy-and-handsome-says-science/11/2013/

Beards.

Gentlemen, they’re not just for hipsters and the homeless any more. While both dead sexy and totally awesome, beards are also a boon to your overall health. Researchers discovered that men with beards and moustaches actually enjoy numerous benefits including, but not limited to, instant handsomeness.

A study from the University of Southern Queensland, published in the Radiation Protection Dosimetry journal, found that beards block 90 to 95 percent of UV rays, thereby slowing the aging process and reducing the risk of skin cancer. Got asthma? Pollens and dust simply get stuck in that lustrous facial hair. Additionally, all that hair retains moisture and protects against the wind, keeping you looking young and fresh-faced. What’s more, shaving is usually the cause of ingrown hairs and bacterial infections that lead to acne.

Have you tossed your razor in the trash yet?

To conduct the study, researchers left bearded mannequins, along with less attractive, follically-challenged ones, in the blistering sun of the Australian outback and then compared the amount of radiation absorbed by each.

But don’t forget to take care of those blessed follicles; beards can also spread infection if not properly cared for and make consumption of certain foods (e.g. cheeseburgers, corn on the cob, falafel sandwiches—anything with hummus actually, bagel ‘n’ schmear, syrupy pancakes) rather laborious. Fuzzy-faced men would be wise to take advantage of beard wash and beard oil, essential tools for looking and feeling your beardy best.

Radiation Protection Dosimetry Journal|http://www.newnownext.com/tag/radiation-protection-dosimetry-journal/

University of Southern Queensland

uv rays

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2013, 04:11:37 PM »
That is too funny Barb!!!  Thanks.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »
 ;)

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 08:43:38 AM »
Beards:  Wow!  What a difference.  I do love a man with a beard.  Mustaches are fine also, but nothing beats a nicely trimmed beard in my books.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 09:37:39 AM »
I recommend mummy bags (of whatever brand is best) and space a blankets to be stashed in the car along with fire starting supplies flashlights lanterns and food and water in case of emergency.
Also a tarp which can be rolled out in case of an all - out deluge of a storm...

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2014, 07:50:16 AM »
Beards:  Wow!  What a difference.  I do love a man with a beard.  Mustaches are fine also, but nothing beats a nicely trimmed beard in my books.

I have a really nice brown/grey, salt n pepper gotee working now.  When I get a chance I will post a pic.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2014, 10:51:44 AM »
Great, I would love to see that.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2014, 06:02:29 AM »

I have a really nice brown/grey, salt n pepper gotee working now.  When I get a chance I will post a pic.

Yes! Post a pic!
 ;D

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2015, 07:03:04 PM »
I suggest a vacuum sealing type bag - the apparatus removes the air from the bag, allowing you to close it and seal it. Put that inside a sealing bag...heat sealed. This gives you more room to stack clothing, blankets, tarps whatever. Even if it is raining when you have to get out of the car, etc. water should not get into the bags.
Important documents, extra identification for people in the vehicle, maps etc. can all be sealed in a water proof plastic. Be sure to have scissors, knives to open stuff up. I know from experience this process does wrinkle things but it is better to be able to bring along more changes of clothing, jackets, blankets etc. in the car. Also if you are towing a trailer etc. you will be able to bring so much more...

https://static.grouponnz.co.nz/09/76/1335498027609.jpg

https://editmycloset.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/vacuum.jpg

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2015, 07:14:37 PM »
http://zadok-allen.livejournal.com/83369.html

II) Acronyms

If you are interested in researching this subject, you may find that the use of acronyms is very prevalent and can lead to confusion (influence of military?). Here's a list of common acronyms:

- B.O.B. Bug Out Bag
- B.O.L. Bug Out Location
- B.O.V. Bug Out Vehicle
- G.H.B. Get Home Bag (power outage summer of ‘03, affected 8 states, 55 million people)
- I.N.C.H. I'm Never Coming Home Bag
- E.D.C. Every Day Carry
- P.A.W. Post-Apocalypse World
- T.E.O.T.W.A.W.K.I. The End Of The World As We Know It
- S.H.T.F. (when the) sh*t Hits The Fan
- M.R.E. Meals Ready to Eat
- F.A.K. First Aid Kit
- C.C.W. Concealed Carry Weapon