Author Topic: How to protect your technology  (Read 31358 times)

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
How to protect your technology
« on: April 07, 2010, 06:05:28 AM »
This area I hope will save some of our tech. stuff to help us in the future, first you need to think about what to protect led
lights, medical equipment, a spare comp. mini DVD player, CD player, mini hard drives, and the list can go on and on.
A cheap way is to make a nested Faraday cage say if I wanted to protect a CD player I would first wrap it in cloth or plastic
then foil, and make sure there are no gaps in the foil use tape then repeat two or three times this should stop most EMP
effects, if you can not be without your item add one last layer of cloth and put the item in a used or non working microwave
you can get these free on Craigslist in most areas. Some experts say ground it others say that a ground will act as an antenna
I have not tested this, my personal items will not be grounded if I did ground a item it would be with a ground rod that I put in
not tied in to the power comp. grid. I like this site for more detailed info. www.futurescience.com
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 07:04:11 PM by 1969quartz0 »

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: How to protect your technology
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 04:52:48 PM »
For smaller items after you have shielded them put them in a 5 gallon bucket and label it on the side I label two sides with a Brother label maker so no matter what way it is turned you can see what you have this may sound like a waste but wait until you have dozens of buckets, you will not know if it is food or your radio. On the top of your bucket use a Gamma seal they snap on are very tough water and air tight and the center of the lid twists open Sportsman guide is a good place to buy them get the buckets for non food items at a Lowes or hardware store if you are going to store food make sure you buy food safe buckets and Mylar bags in the buckets. Back to EMP protection if yours electronic gear gets wet or you can not find it what good is it. It is important to note you may all know this but it is easy to forget store extra batteries in the buckets but not in the device, two reasons for not in the device one it could leak acid not good, also you want to break as many paths for a EMP to travel as possible do not help a EMP take out your IC chips, another thing if the antenna on you radio screws off take it off and store it wrapped and next to but not touching your radio.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 04:54:45 PM by 1969quartz0 »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:49:09 AM »
1969quartO
thanks for posting up all this info
this is so very much needed...
Yowbarb

Equiano

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 01:13:32 PM »
 ;)
1969quartz0, Yes I meant to thank you for these posts aswell.....I got tied up with other things....but...Mos Def appreciated and useful info.

I was listening to an old Coast 2 Coast the other day and it was suggested that the EMP protection afforded from an old Micro wave or components infact would not protect electronics from the kind of EMP a CME would produce, because a microwave (and components) are specifically tailored to the frequencies emitted by a micro wave. What do you think?

PS, I love the suggestion with the 5 gallon buckets and wrapping the items in foil and cloth. very useful!

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 05:34:43 PM »
Equiano to the best of my knowledge it should work well it is a Faraday cage in reverse, but I would still wrap my items in cloth and foil as well, I do think the CME wave in any frequency would at least be reduced. This is what I have read from people that know more then I do, it is possible there are better ways. I hope what we do is enough, I have severe central sleep Apnea I forget to breath when I sleep and I have been told that it will, not maybe but will kill me if I do not use a machine to breath at night so I have more then one machine and even shield the one I use every morning in a Dak autoclave with a metal to metal seal. I have no choice I need power and EMP protection I should have power for 3-4 months without charging my batteries 10,000+ amp hours at 12 volts they weigh many tons and I have at least 5 ways to charge my system.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 08:33:13 PM »
Nathan thanks for posting this info -
people need to do something...soon -
to protect their electronic gear -
Yowbarb

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 07:42:44 AM »
Thanks if anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them or find a place to get more info. on the question. 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 09:15:59 PM »
Equiano to the best of my knowledge it should work well it is a Faraday cage in reverse, but I would still wrap my items in cloth and foil as well, I do think the CME wave in any frequency would at least be reduced. This is what I have read from people that know more then I do, it is possible there are better ways. I hope what we do is enough, I have severe central sleep Apnea I forget to breath when I sleep and I have been told that it will, not maybe but will kill me if I do not use a machine to breath at night so I have more then one machine and even shield the one I use every morning in a Dak autoclave with a metal to metal seal. I have no choice I need power and EMP protection I should have power for 3-4 months without charging my batteries 10,000+ amp hours at 12 volts they weigh many tons and I have at least 5 ways to charge my system.

Does the DAK autoclave looklike this?
http://www.alibaba.com/product-tp/109531390/DAK_autoclave/showimage.html

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 09:22:14 PM »
No it looks like the all American canning company 941-41 it is a 41.5 quart canning pressure cooker. they copied it from DAK to a tee.
http://www.allamericancanner.com/allamerican941pressurecanner.htm

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 04:06:34 AM »
OK 1969quartz0 I found the image,
thanks,
Yowbarb

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 02:18:16 PM »
That's it.

Montanabarb

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 01:59:36 PM »
I have several steel filing cabinets left over from our twenty year consulting business.  There are three with four drawers and two with two drawers. Would these be suitable for protecting electronics if the drawers were sealed with aluminum tape and the contents were wrapped in aluminum foil? They would hold a substantial number of laptops, cellphones, walkie talkies and radios. I also uncovered a huge old cast iron bath tub in an abandoned bathroom in our basement (it's a long story. The tub is one hundred years old by my calculation.)  I wondered if we could fashion a lid of foil covered plywood or even metal roofing and seal it with aluminum tape.  The tub can't be removed to turn it upside down. It's big enough to handle our high tech generators. Any comments?

Montanabarb

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 02:18:01 PM »
P.S. My son reminded me that our newer cars have computers that would be fried by a CME, our Honda generators have sensors and regulators that are electronic, the converter/control panel in our travel trailer would doubtless be destroyed, the list goes on and on.  Around the house there are dozens of gadgets with electronics built in. I just don't know how we would protect it all. We have a 1978 Toyota camper and a 1988 GMC pickup that might be safe, but I'm pretty sure our electric golf car wouldn't make it. Has anyone made plans to save such items? I'm glad I have my five speed bike, but I can't haul firewood with it! :'(

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 03:43:11 PM »
Montanabarb I would think the file cabinets wrapped with foil sealed tight would work but make sure the items are separated from each other and I would wrap them individually as well now the tub if it has a enamel coating that will detract from the protection but if you placed a metal cover it should be better then nothing it might be enough it should be better then leaving the generator out with no protection, the 1988 GMC will be done for unless we have warning enough and you shield the electronic ignition module the same goes for the 1978 Toyota unless it has points but I would suspect that it does not. the newer cars with everything electronic are beyond saving, a stick shift vehicle that is light and a diesel with a mechanical fuel pump is ideal. you can push start them and they burn diesel, trans fluid, fuel oil, kerosene, vegetable oil, and used motor oil, and many other fluids. If the EMP is bad enough it could fry the starters and solenoids. about firewood stock pile it now even if we have a while the winters are getting worse and the fuel costs are going up I have not turned on my boiler for 4 years now I bought a 1960's home made log splitter it can lift a piece of wood 6 feet wide weighing many hundreds of pounds but it only has a 32" stroke, I may make it longer but I hate to mess up a machine that has worked so well for 45 years and is EMP proof buy chain saws and axes splitting wedges spare ax handles etc. one thing my father brother my boys and myself always have is quick clot it will save your life if you cut yourself open with a chainsaw or ax it stops blood flow right away they also sell a coagulant in spry cans for people taking blood thinners, I know this is a little of topic but I gave some to my father after he had a quintuple bypass last year he used it every day when he shaved he said it worked every time. also buy if you can a old cook stove that burns wood or coal and wood heater the open body cast iron style that does not need a blower just in case you can not power a fan they are not efficient but inefficient heat is better then no heat the new stoves are great but will overheat without a fan. if your system has a good draw and you start it with dry wood once going they will burn green wood just cut without any problems except soot build up that is not a problem if you buy heavy stainless steel flex tube for your chimney liner when it heats and cools the creosote falls down to the stove I have burned over a dozen cords of wood without even sweeping the chimney and every spring I look down and it is pretty clean, I am saying this last part for safety more then labor savings the last thing you need in a survival situation is a chimney explosion. well this post is getting to long I hope some of it helped.

Initalone

• Members
  • Trusted Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 04:36:07 PM »
Hello all,
This may not be the correct location but the info has to do with the power grid.  I have a gut feeting that many of the utility companies already know they will soon be having problems with the power grid. I have a friend who is employed by a large power company that has just given voluntary severance packages to many of it's employees. The company has had record profit years so the reason for the reduction not likely financial.  It was stated that if their reduction goals were not met, a forced severance would be next.....except for those who are directly responsible to service.(such as linemen)