Author Topic: How to protect your technology  (Read 30550 times)

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: How to protect your technology
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 09:00:57 PM »
Initalone very odd, if we loose the grid for good it will deteriorate very very quickly.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 07:42:25 AM »
Hello all,
This may not be the correct location but the info has to do with the power grid.  I have a gut feeting that many of the utility companies already know they will soon be having problems with the power grid. I have a friend who is employed by a large power company that has just given voluntary severance packages to many of it's employees. The company has had record profit years so the reason for the reduction not likely financial.  It was stated that if their reduction goals were not met, a forced severance would be next.....except for those who are directly responsible to service.(such as linemen)

Initalone this seems to be a good place for your post.
Thank you very much for an inside look at what's happening. Even if we don't get the details, it is a
hint about how some companies are making preparations and plans. It surely sounds like someone at the power company knows something.
All The Best,
Yowbarb

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 09:55:06 AM »
Initalone this seems to be a good place for your post.
Thanks for adding that Yowbarb! I missed the question.

mrgalleria

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 08:48:17 PM »
Alo ha,
I would like to suggest that, if you live in the U.S. or Israel,
use EMF protection on July 16, July 26, and August 5, 2010.
For further info, I have some videos on you tube under the same screen name,
Bill

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 11:17:16 AM »
Alo ha,
I would like to suggest that, if you live in the U.S. or Israel,
use EMF protection on July 16, July 26, and August 5, 2010.
For further info, I have some videos on you tube under the same screen name,
Bill
Thanks very much for the heads up.
Can you also post it somewhere in a Members general board?
All The Best, oh yes, welcome to the Town Hall.  :)
Yowbarb

Initalone

• Members
  • Trusted Member
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 06:28:14 PM »
  Hello,
  I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I have found that surplus military ammo boxes made of steel are very good containers for our small electronics.  They can be found at flea markets and ebay, as well as surplus outlets. I have also stored batteries in these as I have not heard what would happen to dry cell batteries in the event of EMP.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:57:25 PM by Initalone »

Initalone

• Members
  • Trusted Member
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 07:46:53 PM »
  Hello all,

I just want to add this info related to my last post.  The method I mentioned likely will not protect anything from EMP.  I placed a cell phone inside an ammo box and attempted to call it.  The call went through! I then placed the ammo box inside an aluminum box.....it still went through.  Both the steel box and aluminum box were nearly 1/16" thick.   I then tried wrapping the phone in aluminum foil about three times. It was left outside of both boxes, just the foil for protection. This was effective in blocking reception.  I don't know if this experiment correlates to the effects of EMP from our sun, but it does prove that crinkled aluminum foil stops electromagnetic signals from a cell phone.

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 07:00:33 AM »
That's good to know Initalone, thanks.

Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 07:01:48 PM »
Initalone I have not heard of any effect on dry cell batteries during a EMP, I seal everything metal to metal foil taped down with as little air gap as possible with a insulating barrier between the item I am trying to protect and the foil sealing it.

Initalone

• Members
  • Trusted Member
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2010, 02:24:39 PM »
  I just tried another experiment relative to EMP shielding.  It seems many are of the mindset that a microwave oven would suffice to shield small electronics.   I mentioned earlier using a cell phone to test different containers.  My cell still rings when placed in a microwave.  The shielding of the oven, I suspect, is made to prevent microwave leaking only. The wavelength of a cell signal must be different from those generated by a microwave oven.  Not knowing the similarity in wavelengths of EMP from solar activity, and microwaves, I would not trust a microwave.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2010, 06:17:53 PM »
After reading your post, I wondered about the frequencies of an EMP. The spectrum is as wide as I thought it would be.

Definition of an electromagnetic pulse (EMP):

1. The electromagnetic radiation from a nuclear explosion caused by Compton-recoil electrons and photoelectrons from photons scattered in the materials of the nuclear device or in a surrounding medium. The resulting electric and magnetic fields may couple with electrical/electronic systems to produce damaging current and voltage surges. May also be caused by nonnuclear means.
2. A broadband, high-intensity, short-duration burst of electromagnetic energy. Note: In the case of a nuclear detonation, the electromagnetic pulse consists of a continuous frequency spectrum. Most of the energy is distributed throughout the lower frequencies between 3 Hz and 30 kHz.

Initalone

• Members
  • Trusted Member
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 03:27:40 PM »
   Ed, Thanks for the post explaining EMP.  It helped think of search topics. I found this site which has a lot of info related to this topic.  I am not sure I agree with everthing this guy is saying, but I am certain that being an electronics engineer vastly supersedes my tinkerer level of electronics knowledge.   

I hope we can get some good ideas from this link:

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-protection.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:30:24 PM by Initalone »

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 06:46:49 PM »
Initalone great link.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 09:37:54 PM »
I would think that grounding electronic items will work fine with a large resistor between the item and ground, to limit current flow. A RF choke would be good also. A rather simple resisitance provider is the surge protector you put between your computer, flat screen, or any other highly electronic device. A good ground rod should be in the ground about 10 feet, vertically. Several current limited devices can be hooked to the lone ground rod. An EMP will take out the majority of things electronic, but not every thing. Grounding and current limiting will not protect everything electronic, either. I do like wrapping in foil in layers between non-conductive material, and grounding the last layer of foil.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2010, 06:55:04 AM »
Ed and All thanks for posting this info.
Meanwhile the sun is getting more riled up:

Today, Saturday, info on spaceweather,
Yowbarb

http://spaceweather.com/

SOLAR BLAST: Magnetic fields overlying sunspot 1087 became unstable and erupted yesterday. The explosion emitted a bright flash of UV light (a C3-class solar flare) and hurled a massive plume of hot plasma away from the sun. Click on the image to watch the action unfold:

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) recorded the 1.5-hour time-lapse movie beginning at 1950 UT on July 9th. SDO has been busy since sunspot 1087 appeared yesterday, recording B- and C-class flares every few hours. So far none of the eruptions has been Earth-directed, but this could change in the days ahead as the active region turns to face our planet. Stay tuned for space weather.