Author Topic: Protecting animals now - doing what we can...petitions, etc.  (Read 24004 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Protecting animals now - doing what we can...petitions, etc.
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 06:44:45 AM »
Last post on this for now. I did find one Petition and an article on how this fight may be winnable.
Here is one article and one petition. No doubt there are many other petitions on this practice of getation cages....Change.org has several petitions see:

http://www.change.org/petitions
Story on Smithfield foods committment to end the use of gestation cages - see below.
- Yowbarb

Smithfield Recommits to Phase-Out Gestation Crates

http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-smithfield-no-more-gestation-crates

How We Won

Dec 08, 2011

After more than 15,000 people joined The Humane Society of the United States' campaign on Change.org, Smithfield Foods has agreed to phase out the use of all gestation crates in its facilities by 2017! The company had originally set the deadline as part of a 2007 announcement, but delayed their plans in 2009. Now they've heard from consumers around the world who object to cruel confinement of pigs.

Wayne Pacelle, President of The Humane Society of the United States, stated, “Smithfield’s recommitment is an important and welcome move. With the company back on track with its phase-out, we’re getting closer to the day when the cruel confinement of pigs in gestation crates will be a bygone era for the entire hog industry.” Pacelle continued, “We recognize Smithfield’s recommitment as progress and urge its competitors such as Tyson, Hormel, Triumph, Prestage, Seaboard, and others to stop lagging behind and follow suit by adopting similar policies.”

Why This Is Important

An HSUS undercover investigator recently documented the suffering endured by female breeding pigs held in severely restrictive gestation crates on a factory farm operated by a subsidiary of Smithfield Foods, in Waverly, Virginia. Gestation crates are exceptionally cruel and have been banned by the European Union, New Zealand and seven U.S. states. In 2007, Smithfield said it would phase out the use of gestation crates by 2017, yet in 2009 it said it could no longer meet its self-imposed and very lenient deadline.

Many of these highly intelligent and inquisitive pigs develop pressure sores and infections from crate-related injuries and from simply lying in the same position without relief. Out of sheer boredom, they engage in repetitive behaviors — such as bar biting and head swaying — sometimes injuring themselves in the process.

TAKE ACTION
Please send C. Larry Pope, CEO of Smithfield, a message urging him to recommit to the company's original promise and stop the use of these inhumane gestation crates on Smithfield's factory farms by 2017.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 06:48:23 AM »
Is Europe more advanced on the treatment of domestic animals? Post info here.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 07:15:38 AM »
They will change if the SHTF if they can hold on to it. They are well known in the county a lot of friends maybe they can rebuild as a group share cropping style, so everyone can eat if they can get enough heritage seed. And let those poor pigs free range more.

I feel you are right...if sthtf then in the aftertime there will probably be a lot more humane conditions for animals on small farms with more normal practices...

inselemel

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 07:47:40 AM »
According to the stuff i have read about after Ascension i.e. in the next dimension then most will be vegetarian and although all the same channellings do say that there will be people who cannot do without meat they will be in the minority and that it will be like the animal has to step forward to be 'eaten' as it were. Our bodies are going to be different the frequent phrase is 'lighter' and i don't think food will be such an issue as it is now.

I am not sure how long it will take for the majority to become veggy.

We will have to wait and see! ;)

inselemel

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 05:22:21 AM »
http://www.care2.com/causes/hero-saves-turtle-at-sea-thrilling-video-clip.html

Short video clip about a guy saving a little turtle from entangled fishing lines.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 07:59:38 PM »
I love stories of people saving animals and vice versa.  ;)

inselemel

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 01:52:29 AM »
Just thought i'd post a success story - it's an email from 'Defenders of  Wildlife' in the USA
"Melanie -- We did it! Yesterday, I had the honor of witnessing the herd of wild Yellowstone bison as they took their first steps onto the tribal lands of Fort Peck Indian Reservation in northeastern Montana.

It was an amazing journey for these bison -- some of North America's most important biological and cultural animals. Many thanks to the tireless efforts of Governor Brian Schweitzer, the tribal communities of Fort Peck Indian Reservation, our conservation partners -- and especially the thousands of Defenders supporters like you who made this possible.

65 wild Yellowstone bison will thunder across tribal lands in Montana for the first time in more than 100 years."

Where they belong! ;D

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 06:09:55 AM »
Amazing!  Keep up the good work.  It truly does make a difference!  You are truly one of the Creators "chosen ones" to protect the innocent.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 06:13:46 AM »
Just thought i'd post a success story - it's an email from 'Defenders of  Wildlife' in the USA
"Melanie -- We did it! Yesterday, I had the honor of witnessing the herd of wild Yellowstone bison as they took their first steps onto the tribal lands of Fort Peck Indian Reservation in northeastern Montana.

It was an amazing journey for these bison -- some of North America's most important biological and cultural animals. Many thanks to the tireless efforts of Governor Brian Schweitzer, the tribal communities of Fort Peck Indian Reservation, our conservation partners -- and especially the thousands of Defenders supporters like you who made this possible.

65 wild Yellowstone bison will thunder across tribal lands in Montana for the first time in more than 100 years."

Where they belong! ;D

Wow! This gives me goosebumps in a good way. I love this!
- Yowbarb

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 06:18:34 AM »

Where they belong! ;D

Wow! This gives me goosebumps in a good way. I love this!
- Yowbarb

Yes, Barb, wasn't that just the best story to start the day with!  Again, thanks Melanie!  You go girl!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 07:33:09 AM »
 :)

Here's a few links and situations...
Yowbarb
http://www.care2.com/  Care2 Home page
http://www.care2.com/causes/  Causes
http://www.care2.com/causes/animal-welfare Animal welfare

Causes and news, animal welfare

Texas Suspends Wild Burro Killing Policy
by Sharon Seltzer
March 21, 2012
8:01 pm
http://www.care2.com/causes/texas-suspends-wild-burro-killing-policy.html

The 300 feral burros living in Big Bend Ranch State Park in Texas are considered to be a destructive nuisance. Since 2007 park rangers have been authorized to shoot and kill the animals. On Tuesday Texas suspended that policy, thanks to an offer from the Humane Society of the United States to develop a humane plan to remove the animals.

Texas park rangers have killed 130 burros that roam the 316,000-acre state-owned park near the Rio Grande. The state claims they do not have the funds to capture and relocate the wild burros who are accused of using too much of the natural resources and threatening the lives of other animals like bighorn sheep.

Ironically Big Bend National Park, which sits next to the state park and is federally run, sees the burros in a totally different light. They view the feral donkeys as the “living symbols and pioneer spirit of the West” and observe a 40-year-old federal ban on killing the animals.

This paradox didn’t go unnoticed by HSUS who sent Nicole Paquette, their Texas director, to review the situation and negotiate a plan. She helped convince Texas wildlife officials to suspend the killing policy.
[ Continues ] Read more:
http://www.care2.com/causes/texas-suspends-wild-burro-killing-policy.html#ixzz1pr7gJiKL
Yowbarb Note: This story is so very horrible I will not be posting it here. You can read it at the link.
Monkey Restrained, Dies in Drug Company Testing Lab
by Kristina Chew
March 21, 2012  2:34 pm
Read more:
http://www.care2.com/causes/monkey-restrained-dies-in-drug-company-testing-lab.html#ixzz1pr8KPIHn
Ask Your U.S. Representative to Become a Co-Sponsor of H.R. 1417, the BEST Practices Act ! PLEASE SIGN ! ! Link:

https://secure2.convio.net/pcrm/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=397
Yowbarb Note
Click here it costs nothing. Sponsors donate to feed homeless pets:

http://www.care2.com/click-to-donate/pets/

inselemel

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 10:26:21 AM »
Thanks its amazing what a couple of minutes to sign a petition or send an email does. When I think of the states I think of the bison roaming the plains I am just glad someone in authority saw sense. Thanks again for your kind words 

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »
:)

Here's a few links and situations...
Yowbarb
Yowbarb Note
Click here it costs nothing. Sponsors donate to feed homeless pets:

http://www.care2.com/click-to-donate/pets/

Wow, how cool is that!  And it couldn't be any easier!  Too broke to donate right now..no worries, you can donate anyway!  I love it!  Thanks for that info Barb!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 12:06:46 PM »
 ;)

inselemel

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 01:39:54 PM »
This is a petition by Richard Branson ( i think) to help stop Rhinos being the next extinct species  4 Rhinos are being killed in South Africa alone. Please sign. Thanks!
"PETITION: Stop Rhino Poaching and the Illegal Trade of Rhino Horns

To: CITES SG John E. Scanlon + 175 Country Representatives

Dear Mr Scanlon, members of the Secretariat, Standing Committee, management and scientific representatives of Parties:

We call upon you to organise an emergency meeting with a single agenda point:

Put all possible measures in place to stop the out-of control poaching of rhinos.
Measures should include, but not be limited to:
1. Refuse Vietnam and other implicated countries permits, for all listed species, until such time as all suspected dealers and possessors of illegal animal parts have been brought to book.
2. A moratorium on all hunting permits for all Rhino, until the poaching is down to zero.
3. A moratorium on all sales of Rhino, until the poaching is down to zero.
4. An immediate FULL census of all remaining rhino, DNA sampling, chipping, e-tracking, indelible ink infusion, and treatment to render the horn (while keeping it on it's owners head) unfit for human consumption.
5. Listing of all species of Rhino to Critically Endangered.
6. All horn stockpile (from dead and de-horned Rhino) to be rendered unfit for human consumption - by fire, poison or other suitable method that will smash the myth that it is somehow medicine.
7. Denounce all talk of trade in bogus medicine as fuelling fraud. "

http://www.causes.com/causes/658114-speak-for-me-please-my-horn-is-not-medicine/actions/1644204