Author Topic: Steedy's 2016 Gardening Topic, merged with others  (Read 12517 times)

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Steedy's 2016 Gardening Topic, merged with others
« on: March 29, 2012, 05:44:44 PM »
I was going to name this, "Doomsday Gardening 2012", but thought against it.  I thought we might start an ongoing topic about gardening and other self sufficient things we're doing this year.

Today, I planted 345 peas.  Now, that may sound like a lot, but I have more to plant.  (I ran out of trellises!).  I also added to my raspberry patch today with two new plants.

While I was doing my early spring gardening, I couldn't help but notice helicopters flying over my area.  I joked to myself that it was the government keeping tabs on me and my survival garden!

Anyway, any ideas, gardening experiments, advice, etc. are welcomed.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
Re: Steedy's 2016 Gardening Topic, merged with others
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 03:35:29 AM »
If you were out there that long Steedy, maybe they thought you were planting something else?  Great topic!  My garden is now tilled and hope to get my peas, etc in this weekend, though I'm not nearly as ambitious as you are!  Good luck, sounds great!

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 07:51:51 AM »
Perhaps they were just admiring my gorgeous trellises.  They are  red.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 07:57:11 AM »
Well, then, there you go, that must be it!  I'm so happy with all my little seedlings.  I've got cabbage, tomatoes, peppers and melons started.  Can't wait to be able to transplant them all!

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 03:55:32 PM »
Just finished tilling the garden and planted a few hundred plants I hope it does not frost, half to go should be done by the end of the week. Last year my garden was a disaster partly my fault some was just the weather.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:16:44 AM »
Excellent!  I have to wait to till my main gardens due to getting work done on my pipes.  There's always a danger of frost at this time of year.  I like to wait until late April or May to really plant stuff.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 09:41:59 AM »
You can move this whereever you like.

Thanks Steedy, belated reply missed this.  ;)
Moving it (and a few other gardening topics to Michael Marcus' Board, Survival Tools To Better Your Odds.
Link: http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?board=12.0
{There are a couple growing food topics there so this will fit well there.
Also moving SEEDS Topics there too.}
Keep On A Keepin On - we like the good posts coming in,
Yowbarb

errrv

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 05:36:52 PM »
I'm doing cooperative planting. Lasagna garden (layering compost & topsoil on wet newspaper). Basing everything off the "three sisters". Old Indian method of placing corn in a mound with a fish buried underneath, surrounded by beans (uses corn as lattice) then squash (chokes out all the weeds). The dead fish adds acidity to the soil & nutrients for all the plants. In lieu of squash, we put other vine type plants around the beans. Hope it all works out! Starting with 25'x60' this year for starters!
Erv

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 05:47:05 PM »
I'm doing cooperative planting. Lasagna garden (layering compost & topsoil on wet newspaper). Basing everything off the "three sisters". Old Indian method of placing corn in a mound with a fish buried underneath, surrounded by beans (uses corn as lattice) then squash (chokes out all the weeds). The dead fish adds acidity to the soil & nutrients for all the plants. In lieu of squash, we put other vine type plants around the beans. Hope it all works out! Starting with 25'x60' this year for starters!
Erv

Excellen Erv!  Let us know how that works out, I've heard of doing it that way, but never tried it.  Sounds like another ambitious gardener this season (25' x 60')!  I'm shooting for about 1/3 that amount here, but a small area over at hubbys moms as well.  Happy Growing Everyone...here's to the best season ever!

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 08:01:35 AM »
I tried a Three Sisters planting once and it didn't work out.  I think it was because I planted everything at once, and the beans and squash choked out the corn.  I think it was because they grow so much faster than corn.  I always thought if I tried it again, I would wait until the corn was at least a foot tall before planting the others.

errrv

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 07:28:28 AM »
Yes, you have to let the corn come up first, then the beans, then squash. I'm only telling you what I've been told. We shall see. Right now it's a garden soup as we are getting a lot of rain!
I'm about to get 4 chickens & a coop too!
Erv

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 08:31:09 AM »
I'd like to get some chickens too.  I have to contact people about zoning though.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 07:48:51 PM »
The night I planted was the first frost in weeks I had ice on my windshield going to work the next day the plants were fine. This Friday eve. I will have to use several bed sheets to cover the plants it will go below 32 deg.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 07:42:48 AM »
Yes, you have to let the corn come up first, then the beans, then squash. I'm only telling you what I've been told. We shall see. Right now it's a garden soup as we are getting a lot of rain!
I'm about to get 4 chickens & a coop too!
Erv

Erv I appreciate all the practical info you post!  :)
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 09:15:59 AM »
The night I planted was the first frost in weeks I had ice on my windshield going to work the next day the plants were fine. This Friday eve. I will have to use several bed sheets to cover the plants it will go below 32 deg.

Nathan, you have given us a good reminder that although "spring has spring," we will see see some frosts and some unseasonable cold snaps, probably...
Yowabrb