Author Topic: Steedy's 2016 Gardening Topic, merged with others  (Read 12062 times)

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: Steedy's 2016 Gardening Topic, merged with others
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 09:21:14 AM »
To all who may have planted to soon, this is what worked and what did not. Every plant covered with a cloth sheet survived fine every plant covered with news paper survived every plant covered with trash bags died every plant covered with foil covered plastic survived every plant covered with buckets survived and one test plant of each type was left uncovered they died. I lost over $100.00 worth of plants I will use primarily news paper in the future it works and is cheep. I hope this helps save some of our food in the future also place some dirt around the edges to hold everything down. It dropped down to 29 deg. for six hours last night.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 10:56:01 AM »
To all who may have planted to soon, this is what worked and what did not. Every plant covered with a cloth sheet survived fine every plant covered with news paper survived every plant covered with trash bags died every plant covered with foil covered plastic survived every plant covered with buckets survived and one test plant of each type was left uncovered they died. I lost over $100.00 worth of plants I will use primarily news paper in the future it works and is cheep. I hope this helps save some of our food in the future also place some dirt around the edges to hold everything down. It dropped down to 29 deg. for six hours last night.

Nathan,  So sorry for the plant loss, what a shame!!  Thanks so much for sharing the information though, it will most definitely be a big help to the rest us, either this year or some future time.  One question...How did you keep the newspaper in place?  Did you just drape it over the plants and then put dirt around the edges and that kept it there?  Maybe two questions, what type of plastic bags did you use?  Not that I think I would even try any based on your unfortunate experiment.  I'm so glad my little seedlings were not yet ready to be transplanted, or I think I would have been in the same boat.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 11:14:33 AM »
The double sided foil with air gap I just laid it on top of the plants with dirt on the sides that pushed them down a bit but they came through it fine. The sheets were placed over tomato cages they came out best, the news paper was tented with dirt on the sides that worked very well. The plastic I used were thin clear trash bags tented with dirt on the side it transferred the cold to well and they all died. The buckets 5 gallon were just set on top and they came out fine.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 11:26:33 AM »
Thanks so much for the additional info as well, it really must be a heartbreaking thing.  I know I would be in tears...

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »
Thanks I expected that a freeze might happen my biggest mistake was thinking plastic would work, it did not for me. Also I left the fence down and the rabbits ate about 48 broccoli plants 90+ percent of them, they ate a little lettuce too.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 01:04:51 PM »
Dang...Yep, I'm pretty sure I had tried plastic sheeting once years and years ago, with very poor results.  I'm glad you also reminded me about the very hungry bunnies too!  Those dang rabbits!!  I hadn't made any plans for fencing here at all, and I'm thinking I had better go get some chicken wire at the very least, quick like.....

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 07:57:32 AM »

This is such good, practical advice!  I usually don't cover anything (veges) since the only thing I have in the ground now is peas, and they haven't sprouted yet.  I've been very interested in hoop gardening.  I've always wondered if those white fabrics hooped over plants would help protect on the chilly nights.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 10:01:44 PM »

This is such good, practical advice!  I usually don't cover anything (veges) since the only thing I have in the ground now is peas, and they haven't sprouted yet.  I've been very interested in hoop gardening.  I've always wondered if those white fabrics hooped over plants would help protect on the chilly nights.

There was just a freeze warning that covered a large area of the midwest and the northeast... I hope a lot of people heeded the warning and covered their plants... whether it was a commercial venture or home gardens and landscaping.
Let us know how your plants did in the freeze. NWS described it as an unseasonable freeze.
- Yowbarb

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 07:14:00 AM »
Our weather girl said we are now having normal early spring temps.  I think it was 39 last night.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 05:51:20 PM »
We have had several freezes in the last two weeks and everything has made it other then the first die off, using mostly buckets and sheets with a little news paper. We are going to have three days next week that will get to 32 deg. or lower at night.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 03:55:00 AM »
I just wanted to mention, www.rodale.com  and www.organicgardening.com  I first heard the term "organic gardening" back in the early 1970's from a local organization here in my homestate.  They are the publishers of the magazine, "Organic Gardening" and "Prevention" magazine, one of the true pioneers of organic gardening and holistic health, since 1947, I believe.  Their farms and institute are located in Emmaus, PA.  They have published numerous books on these topics of organic gardening and health, an excellent "go to" website for help on all organic gardening, preventive medicine etc.  I have quite a few of their books from back in the day before computers and the internet including "The Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening".  I'm sure alot of you are already familiar with them....

Sunnybug

• Celeste of Phoenix
  • Members
  • Prolific Member
    • n/a
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 05:56:59 AM »
We have had several freezes in the last two weeks and everything has made it other then the first die off, using mostly buckets and sheets with a little news paper. We are going to have three days next week that will get to 32 deg. or lower at night.

Glad you did so well! We have the opposite problem here in Phoenix as we have already been flirting with 90 degree days. I don't have a real garden like most of you but I am trying to grow some of my own food this year. One nice thing is that we can grow almost year around so I can go smaller scale. We will see how it works out, haven't done real gardening in years!

Enlightenme - Thank you for those links! Although I've had the organic gardening book (I think I gave it to my sister because she has a real homestead) I don't think I've ever gone to the sites. They are definitely going in my favorites.
Never Give UP! EVER

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 06:34:14 AM »
I try very hard to be organic.  But nothing I've tried seems to work.  I end up having to spray, which I hate to to.  But at least I only spray a couple times a year.  My biggest problems are potato beetles and japanese beetles.  Last year I bought a japanese beetle trap, which worked out pretty good.  But it seems like spraying is the only thing I can do for the potato beetles!

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 04:41:03 PM »
I try very hard to be organic.  But nothing I've tried seems to work.  I end up having to spray, which I hate to to.  But at least I only spray a couple times a year.  My biggest problems are potato beetles and japanese beetles.  Last year I bought a japanese beetle trap, which worked out pretty good.  But it seems like spraying is the only thing I can do for the potato beetles!

Steedy...I hear you on that one!  I pretty much gave up on potato planting due to those beetles!  I have used the beetle traps, and they work to some extent. 

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 06:22:52 AM »
I had to replant my peas last week.  I lost them all in the freezes and frosts we had night after night for a while.  I hope they'll be fine even though this is normally too late for me to plant them.  I hope to see them germinate by Wednesday.