Author Topic: Steedy's 2016 Gardening Topic, merged with others  (Read 12516 times)

Moriarty

Re: Steedy's 2016 Gardening Topic, merged with others
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2013, 07:56:11 AM »
Hi there,

different climates have little to do with the basics of commonsense gardening. Seed saving is one: choosing the nicest seeds to save applies if you are in a desert region or a swamp! The seeds themselves might be different ...

As to droughts, there are various things you can do. First and foremost is to get well rotted compost deep in the ground. One trick we use is to bury holed pipes about 18" deep. They have a pipe to the surface where you can put a funnel in to water. The idea is that the water goes where it's needed, encourages the roots downwards and avoids unnecessary evaporation. I'll see if I can find a photo somewhere!

Mulching can also help, but is less effective and can encourage pests too.

Do you want to set up sub-sections on Composting, Seed Saving, Green Manures, Companion Planting and so on? Because then the comments will be easier to find.

Groeten, Moriarty
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:00:24 AM by Moriarty »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2013, 09:56:56 AM »
Hi everybody!

I have just discovered your gardening corner. I have just started a new patch across the road (actually the A12 motorway and the railway lines) on very poor sandy soil. In the mean time I have two "New Zealand" boxes (5foot cubes) which compost nicely in the summer (reasonable compost in 6-8 weeks). Not many worms yet, they take time to grow. My older boxes in my back garden are stuffed with them and these will be amalgamated with the big ones next spring - my neighbour would like my little boxes.

I use the Bio-dynamic compost preparations to boost things. The sprays for the soil are also very good at making plants happier.

Last summer in the garden I had parsnips, peas, leeks, raspberries, spinach, beans, .... well just about everything I could grow really. My runner beans did very well, once they got moving. On my allotment (my new patch) which I started in May last year, I had a few potatoes, cabbages, beans, spinach, green manures. The onions, carrots and parsnips came to nothing because of the dry weather and the lack of humus in the soil. In all my years I have never had quite such poor soil!

Not for long!! A local farmer lets me have his organic cow manure for free as long as I take it myself. For this I have a trailer for my bicycle. Remember I live in Holland!

I have 20+ years of experience. I can answer questions if you wish. I'll post some piccies sometime. Have a great new year!

It's good to post what you know what you are learning.
Pics would be good.
Happy New Year,
Yowbarb

Moriarty

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
Pictures Of An Old Council Rubbish Heap

I desperately wanted an allotment to grow my own stuff. Waiting on the council list has been three years now. Last spring I visited the gardens and got chatting - and I asked about where the green rubbish was that was once dumped on the verge. She said it was no longer used for that, and that nobody was using it. I suggested that I might dig into it, since I have years of experience in digging out fallow fields full of weeds. Bureaucrats allowing, I have my patch.

Image 1 is on the 30th of April this year. This is the day I started.

Image 2 is of the compost heaps I had working by the middle of June and finished the second compartment at the end of the month. This is a "New Zealand" box.

Image 3 shows it full. In summer it runs at about 50 centigrade (half way to boiling, yes! it gets too hot to touch). Steam will come off it in mid summer it is so hot.

Image 4 shows my allotment at the end of this year. The greenhouse was a present from my neighbors. They had it and didn't want it. They get lots of veggies in return :-) The barrow has been borrowed from another gardener. The edging stones were being thrown away by the council when they widened the tunnel under the railway line (which is in the distance). If you walk in a straight line from here you get to my house, you do need to watch for the trains though. (We have 4 expresses to Nijmegen each hour, 2 local (stopping) trains and 2-4 freight trains an hour or international bound trains for Switzerland).

The soil is very sandy and my plants struggle to grow. Weeds abound however - they have had a few thousand years to get used to the locality though! The flavor of the food is outstanding. Well worth all the effort just to taste proper food again!!! I couldn't believe just how good it really did taste.

The allotment is now under manure from a local farmer* and ryegrass was sown as an overwintering green manure. It has amazing roots and provides much in the way of natural humus the following spring. The seed came from my mother who got it from us many moons ago. (*The local estate is organic by statute. No farmer is allowed to use sprays or artificial fertilizers. His cows also get to keep their horns which has real implications for the quality of the manure they produce - see his heifers in picture 5. They are a "Belgian Blue")

Groeten, Moriarty.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2013, 10:54:39 AM »
I like your post and photos.
- Barb Townsend

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2013, 06:27:14 AM »
Moriarty:  I so enjoyed your posts and your pictures, you are so lucky to be able to plant a garden and harvest such great stuff.  I live in an apartment and have to content myself with container gardening and also I do not get much sun from facing the wrong direction.  I truly miss gardening, but I am pretty much an amateur compared to you.  It is good to have you here to help us with our questions on gardening.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2013, 06:51:58 AM »
Well, it's that time again.  Time to start thinking about what to plant, what seeds to start indoors and when.  Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but just wanted to recommend the one site I use a lot for Burpee Seeds.  On their homepage, you can enter your zipcode to get all sorts of great information on what you should be doing now for this growing season.  I also decided that I would like to try planting some blueberries this year.  Let's all hope for a great year.  Happy Gardening!!

http://www.burpee.com/fruit-plants/blueberry-plants/how-to-grow-blueberry-plants-article10389.html

http://www.burpee.com/gygg/

jrobert69

• Prolific Member
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2013, 08:39:35 AM »
Very nice thank you

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2013, 09:07:02 AM »

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2013, 08:40:33 AM »
Here is a really good article about what wild plants can tell you about your garden soil.  Courtesy of "Northwest Farm and Food" website.

http://nwfarmsandfood.com/index.php/what-weeds-can-tell-about-the-soil

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2013, 04:41:30 PM »
Here is a really good article about what wild plants can tell you about your garden soil.  Courtesy of "Northwest Farm and Food" website.

http://nwfarmsandfood.com/index.php/what-weeds-can-tell-about-the-soil

This is great, thank you!
 :)

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2016, 03:57:17 PM »
It's that time of year again when after weeks of pouring over a plethora of seed catalogs, I will be placing my order this weekend.  I have also visited my local Co-Op to find out when they will be getting their seeds in.  Seed catalog season and planting season are two of my favorite times of year!

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2016, 01:51:07 PM »
It's that time of year again when after weeks of pouring over a plethora of seed catalogs, I will be placing my order this weekend.  I have also visited my local Co-Op to find out when they will be getting their seeds in.  Seed catalog season and planting season are two of my favorite times of year!
Same here!  Anxious to get the little babies started:  peppers, tomatillos, tomato for now.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2016, 12:52:25 PM »
Greenhouse-Under $100      2:06    9,784 views

video link: https://youtu.be/0ELNZSG57XU

Published on Oct 15, 2012

Main reason for us putting up a greenhouse is because of the neighbor cats come in and sh*t N piss in my veggies in their planters...so we have ta cover them up...

Nothing fancy, just something i threw together real fast for a couple of friends :)

2"x 3"x 8' ' s are only a buck something a piece! and a roll of 4 ML plastic 10' x 25' is $7

THATS A CHEAP GREEN HOUSE!! :)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2016, 12:53:52 PM »
steedy, thanks for starting this Topic. :)
ilinda - good thoughts and ideas, as always. :)