Author Topic: Survival Groups  (Read 1967 times)

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Survival Groups
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 01:04:16 PM »
Socrates,

This is a great topic and one that does need some more discussion here..

As Marshall has pointed out in his latest book, and a number over video interviews from the last 12 months or so. I will take a “survival community” of 100+ people with a diverse skill set to have any chance of surviving the ~10 year tribulation period. The ‘lone wolf’ prepper has very small chance to survive the extended period of devastation on the surface for what is about to unfold.

That is the reason that Major Ed  Dames has used his RV Geofix skills to find customized survival locations for ~700 clients over the last few years (including yours truly). These locations are small communities away from large urban populations with good access to fresh water, food growing resources and a communities where people look out and care for other members of the community much more than you would find in the typical large urban area. He also asks his clients to sign an NDA not to reveal its location outside the members of his immediate family.

The reason for this is obvious, a number of years ago Ed inadvertently revealed one of his recommended sanctuary locations on Coast (Fishkill, Montana). This essentially destroyed the location as a good sanctuary location and has become a favored location with preppers of the ‘bunker mentality’ to migrate to, essentially destroying the sense of community that existed there at one time.

How to Bug Out to Montana, by Professor Prepper:
https://survivalblog.com/how_to_bug_out_to_montana_by_professor_prepper/

I urge everyone that thinks that they can ‘go it alone’ to face what's to come should watch:

Viggo Mortensen The Road:

A man and his young son struggle to survive after a global cataclysm has caused an extinction event. They scavenge for supplies and avoid roaming gangs as they travel on a road to the coast in the hope it will be warmer.

Years earlier, the man's wife gives birth to their son shortly after the catastrophe and she gradually loses hope. When the man shoots an intruder using one of three bullets they have saved for their family as a last resort, she accuses him of wasting the bullet deliberately to prevent her suicide. Removing her coat and hat, she walks into the woods, never to be seen again. The coldness of her abandonment being "her final gift", it spurs the man to take his son south in search of warmer climates.

In the present, after shooting a member of a gang of cannibals who stumbles upon them, the man is left with only one bullet. Later, exploring a mansion, he and the boy discover people locked in the basement, imprisoned as food for their captors. When the armed cannibals return, the man and his son hide. With discovery imminent, the man prepares to shoot his son, but they flee when the cannibals are distracted by the escaping captives.

The movie (full edition is available on youtube):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5VZtNgrPOI

It may be one of the scariest movies ever made but does give you a sense of what it would be like for one family to try and survive in a post-apocalyptic world that we are soon going to be facing.

Max.
"Ignorance is Bliss" - (Agent Smith the first Matrix Movie)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: The Hague
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2016, 04:51:10 PM »
I have started poling my collegues. I have run into some interesting reactions. Some absolutely refuse to talk about working with certain others, another guy is so young [not as young as you'd think] that he's sure things will all work out even though he otherwise seems enthousiastic about new ideas...

I'm thinking that these people, whom i've worked with for a while and therefore 'know' [sic], are a better bet than strangers who might have 'bullets, beans and a bunker'.
Having said that, it seems that getting them to consider communal activities may be more complicated than i had initially thought. But that's just tough! "Complicated" does not mean i'm giving up.

As one solution i see TWO groups being created. First of all then people can have a choice; then there are certain leadership styles that appeal to some more than others; finally there is the simple fact that if you have 2 groups working alongside one another, they can offer each other assistance in emergencies (whereas a single unit might fail due to internal strife and having all one's eggs in one basket).

All of this is extremely personal. I mean, it is very sensitive and each person has to be approached in a certain way. On the other hand, i am getting some feedback that gives me hope that WTSHTF these individuals might come together and survive as a group when individuals will be in a bad state. I'm just realizing that even in such a dire scenario (like, say, a massive global EMP and no electricity anymore) there will be limitations to even 'good folk' working together.
Also, i'm not only preparing each one for just the idea of disaster scenarios but i've also suggested that we all collect in such a case at our work location. If nothing else, we will know where to reach each other.

Mainly i am hoping to gather some folk so we can bug out together, hop on a boat and head to better straights. I have poled their sailing abilities and have already found 3 people who have some sailing experience. Going out to sea would be a good way to avoid rampaging starvin masses, after all. Oh, a harbor full of boats is 50 yards from our work location; we may not have hills to run to in Holland but we always have the sea  ;)
Socrates, thanks for sharing your ideas.
It's likely your coworkers are intelligent people. Presumably many have families and children - even the loners would have a few friends. It might not be so hard to put together a group. They don't know it yet perhaps but they will need your info on what could happen...

If you have access to superior world intelligence, good grid at work, backup power - all that would be helpful. Information is key.
If there are disturbances creating conditions on the water or even quakes or tsunamis it would be good to know before heading out to the ocean.
I can understand the idea of escaping hordes of people. Glad your coworkers have some experienced sailors.
Would the ocean be safer... or inland... I had read portions of Austria, Switzerland might be good survival areas. Train bugouts? Of course if there is much earth movement, trains not such a good idea, either.  Maybe earlier a train trip out of the lower elevations up to Austria, Switzerland, before all H___ breaks loose? Some of those countries will be keeping people out, of course...
All The Best,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 04:58:36 PM »
MadMax I agree The Road is very worthwhile to watch. ! Thanks for posting about it.
When it came out, one of the Members, Korath, started a Topic on it, 

http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=54.msg176#msg176

Category:  2014 - 2016 Global Signs and Trends via the www

Board: What Do "They" Say?

(I finally got to see it  June 14, 2010) Supermarket rental movie. Saw it with some of my kids.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 05:41:18 PM »
MadMax I agree The Road is very worthwhile to watch. ! Thanks for posting about it.
When it came out, one of the Members, Korath, started a Topic on it, 

http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=54.msg176#msg176

Category:  2014 - 2016 Global Signs and Trends via the www

Board: What Do "They" Say?

(I finally got to see it  June 14, 2010) Supermarket rental movie. Saw it with some of my kids.
Is reading the book good enough to get the idea?  The book itself portrayed rather dire circumstances, but people need to understand that desperate people do desperate things.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: The Road
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 11:38:27 PM »
Can one truly call oneself a prepper without having seen The Road...? I do remember it was quite depressing to watch, though convincing. As you mention, Max, the way NOT to go about survival.

I, personally, would have no problem with the idea of going it alone, but there are 2 things against such a scenario i can readily think of/experience:
- my son and his mother would not be able to stand it
- as an empathetic human being my heart goes out to those who are not overtly suicidal, and especially to their children.

I am preparing hardcopy information to distribute to the people i'm talking about when the moment comes. I've already mentioned the 536 AD year without Sun and then there's the Carrington Event of just about 150 years ago. I mean, it's not hard to argue that folks should be prepared against such things happening and since they are clearly not things that never happen, i don't have to sound like a zealot, madman or paranoid when broaching the topic. And, indeed, who else are they gonna look to for counsil?

If nothing else, i have sown the seed of suggesting to them to come to our work location WTSHTF. Then we'll see how things develop from there. It would be more than most people have at that point.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 05:27:48 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01