Author Topic: Mental Preparedness  (Read 9672 times)

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
Mental Preparedness
« on: April 24, 2010, 08:52:13 AM »
In "The Art of War" preparedness didn't only include physical means of preparation, it also meant the mental, or psychological preparation. This will be one of the harshest topics to be covered. Especially those of us with children. Before battle, Sun Tzu tried to prepare in any possible scenario that could arise. To survive the coming events, it will take a mental "toughness" that even the ones that have seen combat in the military, will have to go beyond. Sun Tzu said " If you stand by the river long enough,the body of your enemy will float by". Well, the body of your friend, or neighbor, or kids that your kids were friends with., can float by, also.  Animals, people, and things not even thought of, can be part of the destruction, that will be widespread, And survivors will be the ones that can psychologically handle it all and "embrace the horror". Remember, that the prediction is that over a third of those that survive the destruction, will die from other things. One will be shock.  I know that what I saw in combat will seem like a tea party compared to the destruction we will see. What can we do to be prepared for these upcoming possibilities?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Mental Preparedness
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:39:24 AM »
In "The Art of War" preparedness didn't only include physical means of preparation, it also meant the mental, or psychological preparation. This will be one of the harshest topics to be covered. Especially those of us with children. Before battle, Sun Tzu tried to prepare in any possible scenario that could arise. To survive the coming events, it will take a mental "toughness" that even the ones that have seen combat in the military, will have to go beyond. Sun Tzu said " If you stand by the river long enough,the body of your enemy will float by". Well, the body of your friend, or neighbor, or kids that your kids were friends with., can float by, also.  Animals, people, and things not even thought of, can be part of the destruction, that will be widespread, And survivors will be the ones that can psychologically handle it all and "embrace the horror". Remember, that the prediction is that over a third of those that survive the destruction, will die from other things. One will be shock.  I know that what I saw in combat will seem like a tea party compared to the destruction we will see. What can we do to be prepared for these upcoming possibilities?

Ed this is just a few ideas. This topic you have created is a very important one.
These thoughts will be important in the future.
These do go through my mind too.
RE emotional preparedness one of the battles is how to be able to prepare your group. Grandkids are kept sheltered. Grandma already censors herself plenty. At some point I will need to say basically, "OK kiddos this is what could happen. You need to toughen up your mind, get up your confront as a spiritual being. The point is to survive, not freak out or panic or run off. " Especially the young ones
need to not freak out they need to focus and stay with their group, follow instructions, and even before that, they need have some clue what could happen.

The main problem I envision is too many chiefs and too many opinions and too many attempts to dominate. There needs to be a clarity of vision and an intention to cooperate within the group. "Right from the get go."
Roles, jobs, these will need to be sorted. Someone needs to have the final say and that person does not have to be the one with the loudest voice or the most testosterone. A second in command and a bunch of people responsible for certain areas. These will absolutely be needed.
People do not have halos so there will undoubtedly be difference of opinions, spats, power trips. The one with the last word does need to be in charge. It cannot be overly much of a democracy, not during the time when people are entering the shelter, getting settled in, during the crossover and immediately afterward. It cannot be overly easy going -not when the survival of the whole group and all their possessions and the chances at future survival are at stake.
Representative democracy can kick in more in the aftertimes.

Just from a purely physical standpoint I feel like I want to have these things in with my survival group.
Small portable heart resuscitation kit in the bugout vehicle both front and back seat. People need to know it is there what it is for
and how to press the button open it up and use it.
Ed, I don't have a clear idea of the shock but it seems to me shock could kill a person, all right. Noises, earth movement maybe these alone could cause some people to faint. There could easily be miscarriages or premature births. Sad but true.

I feel people have a fighting chance if their heart can be started again and if there is oxygen.
Lori mentioned wanting to get nurses training. What a great idea.
A complete crash cart is pretty expensive but it would be a good addition to a large group of people.

The other thing I envision is the breathing problems. Simple asphyxiation from dust; foods or liquids going down the wrong pipe, eating while rushing around or upset. People need to at least do the Heimlich. Every single member who is in a bugout vehicle, on the land
working, inside the shelter etc. Every one needs their own mask even if a small one. Everyone needs their own canteen around their neck.
There has to be a couple people at least able to rise above the chaos and see what is going on and if there are emergencies -they will need to jump in and attend to them. The presence of mind to do this is what it takes..
The idea is to help one another to survive.
Some of these are physical preparedness suggestions, ultimately they all trace back to some concept of mental preparedness...
More later.
- Yowbarb
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:54:57 AM by Yowbarb »

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 12:47:08 PM »
Barb, it seems like you have given this subject some prior thought. I commend you. One of the main reasons I brought this up, is that a lot of folks are thinking and preparing to survive the initial events, but are not preparing for the aftermath, which is as important, if not more important. What will people eat when the storage is gone, and the ground is burnt? What will they drink? Water will deplete faster than food, and water is more important for survival. What will they tell the children that will see the dead people and animals, and all of the chemicals and material objects poisoning the water? It is difficult to determine how much you want the children to be "toughened up". I do know that we can't keep them totally protected. I will say this; one of the things that make the US Marines different than the other branches of the service,(all over the globe), is their psychological training and attitude. I was in the USMC, during the Vietnam conflict. The training we received was focused on trying to psychologically breaking us. If you break in boot camp, you get discharged or put in the rear echelon. If you break in combat, you get several other Marines killed with you. This all must be taken into account, even when choosing what non-family members you will allow to be a part of your group. I feel that we are all gonna half to fight like the devil to just make it to 2012.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 02:07:35 PM »
At some point, our young ones will have to be taught, at least some basics. One, is that they must know not to drink bad water, or other fluids. Two, they must know about other foods, rotten or not. More advanced, they will need to know what plants are edible in the area, if there are any plants left. It is difficult to teach these things, in a short period of time. I am personally, going to buy books that cover these subjects, so they can read what to do, in case there is nobody around that knows how to show them. Other ideas?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 09:33:48 PM »
Some young person there will need to be schooled in survival -at least to some  -degree
to help the kids in case they are the only ones left.

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 05:08:24 AM »
Hi guys,
I had a link in "Teach your children well" on teaching them emergency plans. Maybe I should add something about actual long term survival skills for children.

Linda :)
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 07:50:53 AM »
Not a bad idea, Linda. This topic here is more "shock and awe", of the psychological aspect of how to handle what's coming, and things that most people have never seen, and probably don't want to see. I don't think they will have a choice.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 11:20:23 AM »
Very important concept, and as I said before there wil undoubtedly be differences of
opinions on what the poor darlings are allowed to know. Not knowing a thing can be far worse.

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 10:44:22 AM »
Some young person there will need to be schooled in survival -at least to some  -degree
to help the kids in case they are the only ones left.

Very good point  barb, as I have done this with my oldest and warn him of what his role is were i to fall, my other two friends who have children are doing the same with there eldest.

part of the training should involve several camping expeditions with the fam, get the children fishing, and older 8 and up cleaning the fish. even though i live in quiet non gun toting Canada i bought my eldest a bb gun and on this summers trip we worked on targeting and using sites. But like bill said it's important to have learning material for the time after in regards to plants and chemicals, it is not enough for you to know, just thing were you to not make it through but in 5 years your library is found!!!! if those who find it read then it was not for naught, as the knowledge is saved and at least one group will survive the fall out due to your preparations, the same for rural camps set up that will not be reached by those who set them up!

Part of the prep is to not shelter yourself now. Hunt, visit butcher shops, see if you can take a community college course on it, so you know how to make that bear or boar into food/ clothes. Exposure to the guts and blood now will steel you a lot against fright and you gain a skill, out in our west they have slaughter houses you can take tours on, i'm sure they'd have something like that near every where. It's like when training a war horse, you need to expose it to blood and loud sounds so it is accustom to it in battle, humans of today are the same. I know some would chalk it up to natural selection, but as one married to a woman I'm sure would never kill even a rabbit, i accept it's a common issue with humans of today, yet only 50 years ago most processed there own chickens...

Can we ever be sure we can be fully prepared.... NO i'm sure even a Vulcan like me would be crushed if i had to watch my fam be slow killed and cooked, and that could happen in the times of Chaos, I figure my only way to be prepared is acknowledging it could happen if i let my guard down or if I don't accept the fact that it can or dismiss it as an irrational fear. What will traumatize so many of the Sheeple who make it through is the sheer disbelief of the situation, Since many of us accept that some change is due soon, that should help, and if we can not be trapped in the cities where it will be the worst, seeing dead things and ruins should be not so bad, and Hollywood is exposing folks to the visions through several new movies hopefully enough of the survivors have seen them to have some of there sensitivity shed.
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

noproblemo2

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 11:13:23 AM »
Deathanyl you do make some very valid points here and I appreciate them. Has made me see some areas where I am lacking some needed future skills to survive. Thanks

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 11:24:40 AM »
NP Always rooting for the home team best of luck.
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

neoslim

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »
I'm glad someone brought up this topic of the importance of mental preparation. As I've stated in some of my other posts, I woke up in 2007, so then that means that so far I've had 3 long but short years to psychologically, mentally and emotionally prepare myself. When I first woke up I was intrigued and fascinated by what I had stumbled upon. So for the next year I studied my butt off. I studied various prophecies and such. In fact the studying never really ends as I am always stumbling upon new prophecies which all seem to reinforce the other. Although in the past year something has changed. I've now come to a physical preparation point. I am now storing food and water, and as of recently-weapons. There are many many things in this world that scare me, 2012 doesn't scare me as much as it gives me hope. However I know that the transitional phase from this age to the next (which we are currently undergoing by the way) will only get worse and worse. One of the things that scares me the most is when anarchy will set in, and the 'might makes right' and mob mentality that will take over many of those who survive. It will be good to know how to fire a gun, and hand to hand combat will be needed as well. A group of people that I foresee surviving the societal collapse will be these motorcycle gangs. A good number of them already live somewhat outside of the law and thus are less dependant upon society. We will have to face these people eventually.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 03:58:08 PM »
To Deathanyl and also Neoslim,
belated response to your posts. You have made some very good points.
All The Best,
Yowbarb

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 12:13:47 AM »
Valid observation re biker/ outlaw survival other groups that will fare well but who may not be hostile, are religious communities, Amish, and "greenies" Also there will be plenty of survivors of both circumstance and chance, as well as those with military backgrounds, also foreigners from developing countries will fair far better then old stock and 2nd gen beyond north american/ Europeans.

And it is good to take advantage of the resources and  schools to learn now while they exist. All my kids can ride hores and swim two absolute nesessities, my eldest is in scouts if you got kids your crazy to not do thhem this service it might save your life. as an adult they have various survival training or you can even self train. many a mulitia or  gun club will accept new members and with it comes access to there ranges and lands.

But for the non violent or the older/ less physical i suggest not learning how to fight but how to hide. The Art of camouflage! And trap making, you'd be amazed at what you can fortify if you have the skills, and scraps. or like in the case of some survivors have a skill thats in valuable, i really have no worries personally as long as i live, even if my "place" is ground zero cause I'm an asset to any group as long as they speak english (even crappy) I can prove my worth. Learn how to preserve foods trade is a valuable skill but one needs to have something to trade and if it's something you generate all the better! so get good with wood, or making power out of a bike scraps and an alternator, in fact get your group together or do local groupings to compeat to build mini plants, my first one was two alternators on a gas lawn mower engine with a 75 watt inverter, blew the inverter from too much juice and had to make the chain 3 times to get right tension but now with power tools and plenty of spare parts and time it was a fun task to work out the bugs, I've repeated the exercise a few dozen times since so now i can do it in a few as 3 hours with only a cordless drill with standing charge and a philips screwdriver and a hammer!

as for the mental prep as the topic was it's hard to be mentally prepared for it all, i have been "on" for near 20 years now so I've had a good chunk of time to plan for it all, i can grow plants with scavenged fertilizers and artificial light, i can turn a animal from frolicking to food and fur!, I'm skilled with boats, stick drive-ed vehicles, light aircraft, all terrain such as 4 wheelers and live stock from hitching cows to riding horses bare. I can smith and fabricate, as well as build and fortify, and I've prep-ed a place in infrastructures just not supplies or people. (yet)

However even with all this time and gathering of skills Until it happens i won't know will the loss of my fam or some of it really be something i just roll with...? For those new to the knowledge and who are trying to get there head around the idea of no electricity for a week, or no grocery stores... to really let there mind wander to the depths is not a realistic goal for them. If you are one of these people focus on skills, you know or feel what we're on the brink of and that gives you an edge, but trust me from one who has the peace of knowledge as you get more skilled and more self sufficient (or learn the abilities to know you can be), you will naturally get more mentally prepared. for most city folks I suggest to do a crash test on yourself! go camping for 3 days bring food the first time. see how it goes, then no food and 4 days (survive off the land, fish/ berries etc)

See how you fare sleeping outside, maybe hungry... in the woods with the chance of animals or crazies chancing across you. the goal being you get to where a week would be no big problem other then getting the time off work. ;D To be honest i don't figure one needs to keep more then 2 weeks per person of food in any city dwelling as your likely to be relocated either by voluntary or forced means and won't get to bring it all. So your cash made now is best put towards you and what you can learn, not gold or massive food stores, but to each there own survival plan  ;D

As for the religious or meta physical... i got nothing  :-X just at least ask your self what if it's not something like that and it's just the science will you survive? so many already know either way there dead those on life saving medicines (they will run out) or those of chronic ill health, for them invest in a young person in your fam, give them a fighting chance, I've given horseback ridding lessons to several of the inlaw's kids as they would never have gotten them other wise and as i said i think everyone should know how to ride.

First step in mental prep for any reading this has been achieved and your aware that "something" will be and is happening even now which will forever change the current world.

noproblemo2

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 05:43:19 AM »
All very informative points you have made, especially the cammo for older folks. Thanks for the info.