Author Topic: Mental Preparedness  (Read 9952 times)

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
Re: Mental Preparedness
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 02:00:43 PM »
You can't hurt / rob what you can't see or don't know is there...and for most if you can survive the first year maybe two the world will be a much safer place by then as most of those who live by the sword will die by it, and so being invisible is handy to not get caught in any crossfire.
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

noproblemo2

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 02:08:26 PM »
So true.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 06:36:31 AM »
You can't hurt / rob what you can't see or don't know is there...and for most if you can survive the first year maybe two the world will be a much safer place by then as most of those who live by the sword will die by it, and so being invisible is handy to not get caught in any crossfire.

Yes,
Very true.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 10:08:45 AM »
The time of year, the season, and location being rural or not will be big influence on how you can survive. Hard to hide from people, without heat at some point in time. etc etc..

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »
true dat! but one should if theres a sun gravitate either into rural area's or towards the new equator. Trying to hide in warmer climes is far easier or in more sparse populated area's . Luckily we'll not be as crowded as we are now as many will not make it, so even retreating to previously evacuated areas is recommended if it's not some thing likely to re-occur, it when yellowstone blows it will probably spew it's whole stash of lava, and when it does and the 4 states affected by them start to have massive sink holes and the like, or the areas around it are covered in lava, this lava will cool (if in time) and so rather then cost lines, this could become an option for some.

Personally this is why i tell folks to be looking for places to go now and not close by either, some will want that due to age etc... but most city centers are death traps from so much, least of all other humans ironically enough as a closed down city of 100,000 will likely have 20,000 dead rotting, the charion crawlers that come with them ie wild dogs, vultures, scavengers, and an explosion of small rodents which carry disease from one place to another when un checked... no sources of water (for the most part) no safe places to plant crop, the lack of fuel for the fire... and the true issue of unstable buildings all around you made of stone glass and steel which can at any moment collapse if the area was hit hard. Even the air will suck in a city, not just the smell of death and rotting , but also the fires of many cars, and plastics, will make the air fulled with cancer giving fumes, let us hope for winds!

no i advise an exit from the city plan for all who are serious abut surviving, and even if it's to commandeer a place to hide such as large national parks etc, I've heard plenty of suggestions, i just advise high ground, forested if possible (trees slow waves and give building resources), and not coastal, but near a body of fresh water. Even wells of today may not work if the ground water is also shifted!, though all rural folks would do smart not only by themselves but for others passing through a true  Service to others with a benefit is remove your well from your home grid, put it on a small solar panel, say on a decorative well's roofs, it's a 100$ upgrade but ensures your well remains operational. Some have gone wind which ever you prefer. And the water keeps flowing even after the grid is down with no chore then of getting the pump feeding the house again.

Septic is a bit more tricky... but thats another post, 4 now i recommend you go back to the out house idea. just keep moving it around and be sure your hole is oil drum deep  :D
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

noproblemo2

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 10:46:35 AM »
Good ideas, Thanks. Personally am all for solar or wind. Our house is solar as is our hot water system and they work great.

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 11:20:38 AM »
it will be very nice for survivors to find a house with it's own grid in the time after, a hot shower, clean water... every project in the country I've worked on I've pushed for this, not saying why of course, but owners once put in the proper frame of mind, and if you put in thermal heating they see the instantaneous benefit to it.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 01:11:37 PM »
it will be very nice for survivors to find a house with it's own grid in the time after, a hot shower, clean water... every project in the country I've worked on I've pushed for this, not saying why of course, but owners once put in the proper frame of mind, and if you put in thermal heating they see the instantaneous benefit to it.

That would be really great... too bad these weren't already build in mass numbers.
The counter - culture of the 1960s 1970s was pushing for these kinds of changes but were
slapped back. As we all know, the military industrial complex continued to dominate the direction of everything. Some changes managed to go through... too little too late.
Also these houses would need to be really well reinforced to stand up to the earth changes that will probably heppen during the Crossover. No doubt some of the buried houses or built into hillside etc. will survive.
Keep On A Keepin On,
Yowbarb

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 02:07:27 PM »
What would you do, if someone wants to join your community, and for whatever reason, you don't want them. Then they threaten to let the world be aware of your existence and location? What mental preparedness do you have for this type of situation? What do you think Sun Tzu would have done?      ed

bittersweetorchards

• Trusted Member
    • evescidery
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 02:27:45 PM »
Wow! ... Sounds like they did not belong in the survival community if they threatened breaking that secret ... Initially, let them in providing they meet other prep requirements ... Don't know about what Sun Tzu could getaway with ... MY initial thought was termination, my 2nd thought was they may have anticipated that, 3rdly --> Welcome them into the community then terminate them in a discrete manner ASAP after the PX SHTF knowing they could never be trusted EVER

Mark Harbolt

• stringers
  • Prolific Member
  • Those that can, do.
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 04:15:23 PM »
Bittersweet...
I like the way you think. 

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 04:46:26 PM »
I do not like violence.  But if someone threatened to give away any of my information because I wouldn't feed them, I'd do what someone mentioned in another thread (I think it was Chaunska).  I would terminate them, and leave their head on a post at the base of the property as a warning to others.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 09:18:49 AM »
Barbaric.......but effective.    ed

family times41607

• none
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 05:57:50 PM »
  I like the hang the head on a post comment.  I have to say that this is tough.  There are several factors that have to be stated. 1 someone said that let them in if they meet the goals of the group. Might not be a bad idea, let them in for two reasons, 1a to be able to turn them down based on lack of preparation. 2b let them in for inventory scout their gear and supplies, if you have to put their head on a post, their stuff is yours.
2 You could take them on a adventure.  One week living like we will all have to live, not much food, little water, working from sun up to sun down. 24 hr watches Teach him or her that it is not gonna be a vacation.  Maybe they will go on their own.
3  Start withdrawling from society.  If you are like me I have a list of people to help, and then there is the one's that will be a liability.  I have slowly withdrawn from that list.  So that they just stopped calling or asking for things. 
  Now I'm sure your reasons for not wanting them in your group, must be well thought out, because most of us on this site do that,lol.  If you tell them that it is not up to you, that they have to plead their case with the camp capt.  I have one, he controls, who comes and goes, we are on a strict time line.  It's the only way you can have accountability.  We are scheduled for everything.
It is set up so that when people who wander into the area, they are quarantined, away from population, medical tests,physical exams, scabies bath.  During that time they are separated from their gear.  We inventory it.  Then we  make a choice.  If you take the power out of your hands.  They may go away.  Think you should wait until the shtf then make him disappear.  Good luck to all. ;)

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 04:18:28 AM »
silence is golden duct tape is silver  ;D

A head on a pike is too quick and messy for my taste naked and duct taped to a parameter tree on the path to camp should work to discourage future dissension/ looters as unlike beheading which is quick and relatively painless for the victim starving to death and being fed upon by bugs is a much slower way to die and the remains in duct tape will be a reminder well after what a skull would last as a warning sign!!!

JM2C