Author Topic: Mental Preparedness  (Read 10572 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Mental Preparedness
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2014, 11:11:13 AM »
Part of mental preparedness is to realize, in any survival situation, the worst could happen and resolve to not dwell on that. Just to be aware of that and do what's needed to increase one's odds of survival.
Things like getting enough B1, along with food and B comp, valerian or other relaxing herb at bedtime, plenty of hydration in the daytime up to about 8 PM - these things help too.

Hydration is important.
I remember when my youngest grandson (I have two) was a toddler, he was so good natured but sometimes he would just have a flaming fit. I had just read that some kids really need more water and will have a tantrum if they don't get it. I told my daughter about it, as I was giving him a little tommy tippee mug of water. He stopped squawking and gulped it down. Later I started putting little step stools for the two boys to help themselves to water if no one noticed. My daughter was astounded how the water helped especially for the younger son.

Well those were just a few ideas...
- Yowbarb

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2016, 03:55:05 PM »
Part of mental preparedness is to realize, in any survival situation, the worst could happen and resolve to not dwell on that. Just to be aware of that and do what's needed to increase one's odds of survival.
Things like getting enough B1, along with food and B comp, valerian or other relaxing herb at bedtime, plenty of hydration in the daytime up to about 8 PM - these things help too.

Hydration is important.
I remember when my youngest grandson (I have two) was a toddler, he was so good natured but sometimes he would just have a flaming fit. I had just read that some kids really need more water and will have a tantrum if they don't get it. I told my daughter about it, as I was giving him a little tommy tippee mug of water. He stopped squawking and gulped it down. Later I started putting little step stools for the two boys to help themselves to water if no one noticed. My daughter was astounded how the water helped especially for the younger son.

- Yowbarb
Extremely interesting because of my personal experience.

As an older, hopefully a bit wiser person than decades ago, I have found that when I'm in a really bad/foul/agitated mood and have no reason to feel that way, I immediately suspect dehydration, and then drink a large glass of water right then and there.  Usually within about 10-15 minutes, positive feelings begin to replace the negative ones.  It works about every time.  As some readers know, older people tend to become more dehydrated due to a lessened feeling thirst we experienced as youngsters.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2016, 09:59:20 PM »

Hydration is important.

- Yowbarb
Extremely interesting because of my personal experience.

As an older, hopefully a bit wiser person than decades ago, I have found that when I'm in a really bad/foul/agitated mood and have no reason to feel that way, I immediately suspect dehydration, and then drink a large glass of water right then and there.  Usually within about 10-15 minutes, positive feelings begin to replace the negative ones.  It works about every time.  As some readers know, older people tend to become more dehydrated due to a lessened feeling thirst we experienced as youngsters.
ilinda what good ideas. I knew I had a tendency to get dehydrated but hadn't realized getting older could add to the problem. :) I will remember that next time when I am in  "a mood." :) I have noticed those people I know who don't finish their water or don't seem to ever drink water are more moody...