Author Topic: Bless The Beasts - Two By Two  (Read 18699 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Bless The Beasts - Two By Two
« on: November 24, 2009, 12:17:49 AM »
UPDATE Aug 16 2011
Hi All. We have a new Topic in my New Helping Animals Survive Board, open to Guests and Members alike. That Topic is Bless The Beasts Two By Two, Pt 2.
That Topic is going back to the original intention, sharing ideas on how to help animals survive.
I had moved some posts out of here to funny animal videos etc. in one of the new humor boards here for Members Only. But it is now OK again to post the videos here too.
This Topic for Members Only can go back to being a catch - all for sharing... It is OK to post your thoughts, your affection for pets. Your ideas on the value of animals in our lives... photos, some videos.

- Yowbarb

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:34:04 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Bless The Beasts - Two By Two
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 12:54:07 AM »
Something which would possibly be good to purchase before things get too crazy: Books on natural pet care.
There will need to be ways to cook pet food and stock up and/or make pet medicines.
I do not know which books are best, please post here books you recommend for natural pet care.
Manual of Natural Veterinary Medicine: Science and Tradition (Paperback)

http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Natural-Veterinary-Medicine-Tradition/dp/0323013546

"P.S.- Some Additional Notes about keeping your Livestock, Farm, Crops & Land Safe from Fallout..."
http://www.radshelters4u.com/index3.htm#7
(Barns won't do it but there is a lot of useful info here and all through the site.)
This page has a lot and lots and lots of links and info about shelters, ARKS, community shelter ideas...emphasis on radiation.
This info could be tweaked to suit the needs of a PX crossover
situation. http://www.radshelters4u.com/index3.htm

- Yowbarb

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:39:08 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 07:49:08 AM »
Welcome to Unipeck of America
BIRD SURVIVAL ALERT
...there is still a significant
shortage in live feeds for our wild birds!  Gladly, we still wish to help keep their
bellies and nests full!  [free shipping on some bird feeding products.]
http://www.unipeckusa.com/

http://www.ehow.com/how_5710149_make-suet-feeding-winter-birds.html  E How how to make fuet feeding for winter birds

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:36:07 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 07:54:59 AM »
http://wild-birds.suite101.com/article.cfm/helping_wild_birds_through_winter

Helping Wild Birds Through Winter
Protect Native Birds When the Temperature Drops
Feb 13, 2008 S. Elliott

In freezing conditions, wild birds could use a hand finding fresh water and food, and with a little ingenuity and some planning, you won't even need to buy a feeder.

If you're a bird lover, one of the best things that you can do to help wild birds through a difficult winter is to provide a source of fresh water in freezing conditions. When temperatures plummet, it can be difficult for wild birds to find a source of water. If you keep a plastic sheet in your birdbath to help you remove frozen water and replace it regularly with fresh, the birds will find it.

The presence of birds in a winter landscape can be a refreshing precursor to spring, and you can help insure that they see spring by giving them a safe water source in tough times. If the idea of going out in punishing weather to change the water in your birdbath doesn't appeal to you, there are birdbath heaters available that will keep your birdbath water from freezing.

Birdbath Heaters
Birdbath heaters require very little energy, but the water they keep warm for the birds in your neighborhood can make a big difference. Birds that might otherwise be drinking water contaminated with antifreeze and other chemicals will find a safe haven. Your efforts will be rewarded by an abundance of birds in your yard this winter, as well as increases in your bird populations in the spring.

Winter Friendly Plants Birds Love
There are other measures you can take to give birds a break without investing in bird feeders or the inconvenience of keeping them stocked. The winter berry of the Washington hawthorne is a favorite and will attract and provide a meal for birds throughout the winter. Leaving the seed heads of plants in place in your flowerbeds will attract many grateful birds, too. Last season's sunflowers and purple coneflowers can provide a feast for hungry birds at no expense to you, as will bee balm, goldenrod, cosmos, asters, and tickweed.

Shrubs for Winter Seed and Fruit
Birds are also attracted to flowering and fruiting shrubs. Many shrubs retain their fruits into the fall and winter, making them a great spot for a quick snack. When laying out your garden landscape, include these bird friendly shrubs: common juniper, Japanese yew, and firethorn.

Read more at Suite101: Helping Wild Birds Through Winter: Protect Native Birds When the Temperature Drops http://wild-birds.suite101.com/article.cfm/helping_wild_birds_through_winter#ixzz0cVZeSp1g

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 07:57:26 AM »
Suite 101 info on  helping birds in wintertime, also organic garden winter prep.- Yowbarb

Winter Chickadee Nesting
Prepare the Organic Garden for Winter
Make Your Own Suet Mix for Birds
Trumpeter Swans Threatened by Foreign Species
Piping Plovers in Canada, 2008
Attracting Birds to the Garden
Penguins And Oil in South America
more in birds
Read more at Suite101: Helping Wild Birds Through Winter:
Protect Native Birds When the Temperature Drops
http://wild-birds.suite101.com/article.cfm/helping_wild_birds_through_winter#ixzz0cVZr97YD

Carlg

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 12:47:28 PM »
I keep an old stock tank heater in a tub on the ground for all the critters.  They all need open water in the winter.  The only problem with the birds is that the kestrels like to hunt the open water.  The feeder is fun to watch as the squirrels rabbits and birds all site together on the ground. Funny how cold and hunger level out the field.   
Take care all and stay warm

Alfred Williams

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 03:37:37 PM »
Just a note. I want to point out the need to change the water when the birds are bathing and make sure there is no mold  growing on there food stock. Just felt the need to point it out because here they built a new school and park but less habitat for the critters. I got a pretty good set of critters and they have kept their popultion low. We are all in for a rough 2010 as it stands so far good luck to all {{:>)
It is not what you know.
It is what you do with what you know!!

Carlg

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 11:47:46 AM »
We have two outside wild cats that we feed and they actually stand in line with the opossum and raccoon taking turns at the food and water.  I is so neat to watch, no fighting no pushing and when the dish is empty they look at the window like saying " HEY THERE  MORE FOOD" and like a good smuck I or the wife fill the dish again. 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 06:58:49 AM »
Geomagnetic storms affect migratory animals. This is just a little info...
- Yowbarb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_storm#Radiation_hazards_to_humans
A geomagnetic storm is a temporary disturbance of the Earth's magnetosphere caused by a disturbance in space weather. Associated with solar coronal mass ejections (CME), coronal holes, or solar flares, a geomagnetic storm is caused by a solar wind shock wave which typically strikes the Earth's magnetic field 8 days after the event. This only happens if the shock wave travels in a direction toward Earth. The solar wind pressure on the magnetosphere will increase or decrease depending on the Sun's activity. These solar wind pressure changes modify the electric currents in the ionosphere. Magnetic storms usually last 24 to 48 hours, but some may last for many days. In 1989, an electromagnetic storm disrupted power throughout most of Quebec[1] and caused auroras as far south as Texas.[2]

Biology
There is a growing body of evidence that changes in the geomagnetic field affect biological systems. Studies indicate that physically stressed human biological systems may respond to fluctuations in the geomagnetic field. Interest and concern in this subject have led the International Union of Radio Science to create a new commission entitled Commission K - Electromagnetics in Biology and Medicine,[8] current chair Dr. Frank Prato.[9]

Possibly the most closely studied of the variable Sun's biological effects has been the degradation of homing pigeons' navigational abilities during geomagnetic storms. Pigeons and other migratory animals, such as dolphins and whales, have internal biological compasses composed of the mineral magnetite wrapped in bundles of nerve cells.[citation needed] This gives them the sense known as magnetoception. While this probably is not their primary method of navigation, there have been many pigeon race smashes, a term used when only a small percentage of birds return home from a release site.[citation needed] Because these losses have occurred during geomagnetic storms, pigeon handlers have learned to ask for geomagnetic alerts and warnings as an aid to scheduling races.[citation

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 07:55:03 PM »
cute cat story

Cat Turns On Vacuum, Causes Emergency Alert
Neighbor Feared Worst After Hearing Cat's Cries, Vacuum Running

POSTED: Tuesday, August 10, 2010
UPDATED: 7:44 am EDT August 10, 2010
BERLIN -- A cat home alone in Germany apparently turned on the vacuum cleaner, frightened itself half to death and wound up being attended to by emergency services.

Police in the Bavarian city of Bayreuth said a neighbor heard the cat's cries - not to mention a vacuum left running for hours - and feared there'd been a terrible accident.

The fire service sped to the scene Monday evening, but found only the cat and the machine.

A police statement Tuesday said the emergency call wasn't entirely in vain, though, because "at least the cat could be calmed down."

You gotta love cats, they're a trip!

Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 08:58:01 AM »
I cannot help but share this info. Not selling anything. This is inspirational to me. Those Members who have beloved little pets with some sort of problem that is hard to handle, this could be a solution.
I am not an expert on hologram devices to improve strength and health but I know of them through my son who has one. For a time before he got his current IT job he was demonstrating selling the holograms... he said it is amazing the strength he has and how much longer he can do his workouts. (I don't know the name of the ones he used small ones and he demonstrated the bracelets.)

I was wondering about something like this for PETS just last night, and found a couple of sites.

Worth a look-see.  BTW hologram pet tags could help the animals stay calmer during the turbulent times ahead.  So here are my thoughts on this and the site info:
This site looks impressive to me. http://www.healthypetholograms.com/
I am going to get one for my  old "Fat Boy" cat...poor guy.

I have never purchased from this site....  From the site:
  "Free trial pack."
"The Future of Caring For Your Pets Health
We believe this technology is the beginning of how Veterinarian medicine, as well as an animals natural health and wellness, will be practiced in the future.

Dr. Ria Gilday, through Holograms, has brought this science to the forefront of future animal healthcare."

We Have Specific Holographic Bands For:

~ Comfort / Reduced Pain

~ Faster Recovery From Trauma

~ Improve Your Pet

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 07:10:14 PM »
One of the reasons i have a dog is i'm more trustful of him then i am in being informed of coming disaster, I had a dog as a kid that saved me and three friends from a flood gate cause he knew it was coming so made us chase him up the embankment. same with earth Quakes dogs have been known to sense them, some of these devices sound like they could cripple that 5th sense.

some animals as blessed as they r to our own hearts r results of poor breeding and likely will be a meal or a burden in the chaos... for sickly and older animals it's more humane. That same dog a small breed mutt, lived for 18 human years but in the end it was blind and deaf, i watched him have a stroke and bleed out his nose, no way to remember an old friend.

livestock is ok but pets search inside and think hard, i was debating getting a dog a little over a year ago, but i have kids so i wanted them to have the experience of a dog while they were young and figure he should be young and healthy enough to be ok for the first few years. But Already i am training him to be more then just a fuzzy free loader, and to follow commands. As one who loves animals I say all this, not to offend any.
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 07:40:37 PM »
Deathanyl well I suppose the holographic pet tag cou;ld affect some 5th senses or - who knows it could enhance them. My point in poosting that was the crossover is not here yet and to help the pets we have now - whynot help them feel better. I am not talking about keeping an animal old and suffering on and on.
The discs culd help the normal healthy ani,mals go through the crossove calmer and with less bad effects. I am assuming many thousands or millions of humans will want to keep at least part of their pets.
That is great your childhood dog friend saved you. I love those stories!
It is good if you rcchildren get to have the experience of having a good dog, raised from a pup.
Not all the aging or inform pets will be brought along for the crossover but to help them live what's left of their lives happier well that is a good thing...
I am hoping every family will have an uneutered kitten or pup or two. In the Aftertime pets will be precious.
Families passing through may want one. Domestic animals are not a burden they help us in so many ways...
All The Best,
Yowbarb  Oh PS The time will come when ranchers and even small plot of ground owners will create shelters for a few domestivc animals - not pets. I mean separately. The tags could possibly even keep a mare calmer if she will be foaling soon and the rough times come. Cows, sheep U name it ... Just a small crew of them could make all the difference in the aftertime.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:42:58 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 06:53:40 AM »
Also have 2 yellow tabby's and a solid black. So total as of today 4 cats, 4 dogs. Just hope they quit dumping the buggers at my house. But they are soooooo sweet.

It will be  a challenge to take all the beloved friends with, along with when the day comes. It goes through my mind lately, to get the cat carriers ready. We have enough carriers for all of them...A lot of people would probably feel it is a waste of resources to bring them... I feel we just have to create survival and room in our hearts... I feel that in the Aftertime, there will be a lot of families lonely for a pet and once they settle in with a few outdoor shelters and some fenced areas some will want to adopt a pet. I sort of figure when families go through to trade baby kittens or puppies will be a premium. Not that I would necessarily be breeding animals - just that it would be good if people can have their pets.
I read that there was a Bill in the works so that when people evacuate they are allowed to bring their pets... that is some sort of progress... it was inspired by Katrina when so many people were told to get on a bus and sent Lord knows where and they were forced to leave their pets. Of course there would be some kind of limit set on it for those getting in a big bus or truck or whatever. Probably just one or two pets in a carrier.
Some of the people who ended up at the Superdome it was because of elderly relatives and also their pets. Well those here who have their bugout vehicles and plans this doesn't really apply to them... just thought I'd mention it. Hope that Bill passed though.
Yowbarb 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:24:14 AM by Yowbarb »

noproblemo2

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 10:40:55 AM »
Our Furbabies