Author Topic: Mylar Space Blankets to protect technology?  (Read 1674 times)

Montanabarb

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Mylar Space Blankets to protect technology?
« on: August 22, 2013, 01:41:05 PM »
Does anyone here know if mylar is any kind of protection against EMPs, as compared to aluminum foil?  We are still trying to find a foolproof method of protecting our generators (nearly new Hondas.)  We now have them wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil that is sealed with aluminum tape, then wrapped in Mylar space blankets. I have my doubts whether Mylar helps at all, since I always thought that Mylar was a form of plastic.  Any comments, anyone? One problem is that we use the generators from time to time with our travel trailer, so elaborate wrapping and cloaking is a real pain. 

We haven't even tackled the problem of our solar panels, aside from completely unhooking them from our solar grid system.

collie

• stringers
  • Trusted Member
Re: Mylar Space Blankets to protect technology?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 04:00:37 PM »
Does anyone here know if mylar is any kind of protection against EMPs, as compared to aluminum foil?  We are still trying to find a foolproof method of protecting our generators (nearly new Hondas.)  We now have them wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil that is sealed with aluminum tape, then wrapped in Mylar space blankets. I have my doubts whether Mylar helps at all, since I always thought that Mylar was a form of plastic.  Any comments, anyone? One problem is that we use the generators from time to time with our travel trailer, so elaborate wrapping and cloaking is a real pain. 

We haven't even tackled the problem of our solar panels, aside from completely unhooking them from our solar grid system.

Hi Montanabarb,
Have you looked into how Faraday cages work?  There is a ton of stuff on youtube and google.  I did come across a very simple explanation a few weeks ago on youtube, but of course can't find it now.   I think you also will need to look at grounding... a way for the energy from an EMP to travel around what you're protecting and dissipate into the ground.   I'll keep trying to find that video, for he explained it simply using a fluoro light to illustrate.

collie

• stringers
  • Trusted Member
Re: Mylar Space Blankets to protect technology?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 04:42:10 PM »

Hi Montanabarb,
Have you looked into how Faraday cages work?  There is a ton of stuff on youtube and google.  I did come across a very simple explanation a few weeks ago on youtube, but of course can't find it now.   I think you also will need to look at grounding... a way for the energy from an EMP to travel around what you're protecting and dissipate into the ground.   I'll keep trying to find that video, for he explained it simply using a fluoro light to illustrate.

Found it.  By mr2tuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R54LszlBMos