Author Topic: Off Grid Ideas  (Read 6643 times)

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Off Grid Ideas
« on: May 23, 2014, 06:43:32 AM »
I just learned about a solar powered tractor!  It can fit into the back of a pick up truck.  I'll post a link later because right now, I've been up for 22 hours and I really need to get to sleep!

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Off Grid Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 11:08:07 AM »
For information on the solar powered tractor, you can go to:  www.FreePowerSys.com/videos.html to see a video on it.  Free Power Systems makes the tractor.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 11:42:07 AM »
For information on the solar powered tractor, you can go to:  www.FreePowerSys.com/videos.html to see a video on it.  Free Power Systems makes the tractor.

I really appreciate your posts on this.
Will try to find out more and post it...

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 06:39:04 AM »
There are small wind turbines for use in homes.  These can start turning with a light breeze, which makes it a better option than those huge turbines with 40 foot blades.  Some will even rotate to catch the wind in all directions.  There is one near me and it is fun to watch.  It powers a building at the college it is at. 

I know with the bigger ones there are some places where you have to get permission from your neighbors to install it because of its size,  but I don't see how that would be a problem with these smaller units.  Especially if you have one or two and not a field of them, (I've seen that too with the large ones, it's pretty cool).

Anyway, you can get these for under $1000, but that doesn't include installation.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 06:45:06 AM »
I've read about the fabulous "solar dryer"!  All it is is a clothesline and you hang your clothes outside to dry instead of using your dryer.  My granddad always told me whatever produces heat uses a lot of energy.  What more so than a dryer.  From personal experience, I can tell you clothes that were hung on the line smell wonderful!  There's nothing like sleeping on sheets that were hung on the line!

Unfortunately, there are ordinances in places that restrict the use of clotheslines, so you'll have to check in your area.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 12:12:11 PM »
Along the same lines of drying your clothes, you need to wash them as well.  There are a few things out there, like an old dasher washer, or a small enclosed thing you can spin to wash your clothes.  (Lehman's website is down so I can't give you the correct name for this device).  And there is the old reliable washer boards your grandmas and great-grandmas used.  I'm lucky enough to have three of them.  I don't use them, but I could if I had to.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 12:28:19 PM »
Lehman's website came back on, and they must not sell that little bucket thing that spun around anymore.  Too bad, it was cute and very portable.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
steedy - good posts ... finding off the grid appliances really important now.
Thanks,
Barb T.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 06:46:53 AM »
I agree.  There is also the ever popular solar ovens out there.  I'm still not sure how comfortable I would be using this to be sure the right cooking temps were reached.  But I know that's just me.  I would like to get more cast iron things in case of having to cook over open fires.  Even if that fire is in your fireplace.  I think it's because I've lived through too many times of being out of electric for a while, and also growing up with Mom stocking up for the winter, "in case we can't get to the store". 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 07:11:25 AM »
I agree.  There is also the ever popular solar ovens out there.  I'm still not sure how comfortable I would be using this to be sure the right cooking temps were reached.  But I know that's just me.  I would like to get more cast iron things in case of having to cook over open fires.  Even if that fire is in your fireplace.  I think it's because I've lived through too many times of being out of electric for a while, and also growing up with Mom stocking up for the winter, "in case we can't get to the store".

Regarding cooking temps. It is good to get the meat up to a high temp and keep it there awhile, then a slower temp is OK. I'm not anexpert on it did read somewhere years ago if you cook the meat slowly the whole time bacteria can flourish. I will look for a reference on that. I have cooked over a campfire...food tastes better that way. I need to learn more about solar too...
You probably have a lot of stories to share. Did you ever get snowed in?
- Barb T.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 08:01:59 AM »
Yes, some blizzards, but a lot of weather related reasons--winter things, tornadoes, hurricanes.

SocratesR

fresnel lenses
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 04:19:10 AM »
Fresnel lenses can enhance both solar heating and solar panels.
YouTuber Scishow explains that mirrors are already being used to enhance solar panel output, so that apprently works. I have 4 small solar panels but i have much larger fresnel lenses that can be focused on my solar panels, increasingly their output considerably.

YouTube channel GREENPOWERSCIENCE is the most amazing online resource on solar energy i've ever come across! Dan Rojas will teach you the most amazing DIY, easy, and affordable solar options. Some of which you'll likely have never heard of before and will likely find nowhere else.
Just to give you an idea, he explains how to make a fine cement that you can use for making a mirror-like surface, which can in turn be used for directing solar energy. He also explains how one can make a parabolic mirror with cement (which you can make yourself too) or a layer of plastic, powerful enough to melt rock.

Fresnel lenses should be acrylic because that can stand the UV rays of the Sun.
More options mentioned at my board.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 05:50:38 AM »
It would be nice to build your own solar panels, but, as a rule, I will not touch anything that involves electricity.  I will dabble in every other house maintenance project, except for electricity.  I know my limits.

probe64322

• stringers
    • n/a
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 10:07:31 PM »
I`m with you steedy where electricity is concerned,been bit twice now &  it hurts.
These  fresnel lenses look like good tools if you have the sun  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Free+fresnel+lenses

P.