Author Topic: Vegetarians' sources of emergency food supplies  (Read 7372 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Vegetarians' sources of emergency food supplies
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 12:39:10 PM »
http://www.bizrate.com/canned-food/chili-vegetarian/

Hormel Vegetarian Chili with Beans, 15-Ounce (Pack of 6)

Hormel Vegetarian Chili with Beans, 15oz x 6
| Amazon.com
$16.92

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 12:41:18 PM »
Re price in previous post...not super cheap but not bad. It is a good filling food.
Spices up a possibly bland survival diet.
Chile very warming. Been buying this Hormel veg. chile lately.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 12:05:56 PM »
I still do not know what is the cheapest, best bulk suply for vegetarian and vegan food supplies.
Here is one place I just noticed:  http://www.prepsos.com/  PREPSOS

VEGETARIAN:   http://www.prepsos.com/food-storage/vegetarian

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 12:54:13 PM »
Who here is an expert on miso? Where can one get a truly bulk quantity of it, here in the US. How to store it. Can it just be stored in a barrel in a cool, beet-cellar-type place?  ???  :)
It is such a good staple... to be real only finding it wholesale and not so sure most folks could do that...
I surely would not want to get stuck without miso and tahini...

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 08:59:43 AM »
Am not an expert in miso, but will check our food co-op's catalog.  They sell lots of stuff in bulk, whether grains, beans, molasses, skim milk powder, etc., etc.c  Will get back asap, as our next order is due on 15th, so I HAVE to view the online catalog by then.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 06:49:34 AM »
Am not an expert in miso, but will check our food co-op's catalog.  They sell lots of stuff in bulk, whether grains, beans, molasses, skim milk powder, etc., etc.c  Will get back asap, as our next order is due on 15th, so I HAVE to view the online catalog by then.

ilinda thanks for your post. Anything we can learn and post here about miso could be very helpful in the years to come.
I know in Japan they used to store it in enormous barrels and it kept a long time... I just don't know how to do any of that... I don't imagine the powdered instant variety is very nutritious but if anyone knows, please post here.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 07:05:37 AM »
First here is a link Quora posted:
http://www.justhungry.com/handbook/just-hungry-reference-handbooks/japanese-miso-primer Miso Basics: A Japanese miso primer, looking at different types of miso

http://www.quora.com/Shelf-Life/How-long-does-miso-paste-stay-fresh

Shelf Life: How long does miso paste stay fresh?  4 answers, here is the first one.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 08:04:43 AM »

ilinda thanks for your post. Anything we can learn and post here about miso could be very helpful in the years to come.
I know in Japan they used to store it in enormous barrels and it kept a long time... I just don't know how to do any of that... I don't imagine the powdered instant variety is very nutritious but if anyone knows, please post here.
Our food co-op catalog does list miso.  In fact there are many listings in this UNFI (United Natural Foods International, I think) catalog covering September 2014 through August 2015.  It looks like all the ones I can see are organic (OG2 meaning at least 95% organic) and there are primarily two different brands or company names which are abbreviated in the catalog:  MSMST and SRIVER. 

If you're not familiar with UNFI, it works like this:  locally there is a "food buying club" and they/we place orders by computer, co-ordinated by the local food buying club "head" and we pick up our orders once a month.  We are required to work once a year, which is fairly easy, as for the other 11 months, we just go to the drop site and pick up our orders.  There might be one near you.

If you need more info on these miso listings, just yell.  Oh, their contact info. from the catalog's inside cover:  unitedbuyingclubs.coom and they have a number of branch offices, but I don't see a main headquarters phone listing.  the Iowa/Greenwood/Racine region's # is 800-323-2131 and the Dayville/Atlanta/Sarasota branch is 800-877-2240.
Hope this helps!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 01:17:49 AM »
ilinda - thanks that looks like a way to get miso... I'm assuming it is fairly economical.
 :)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 11:35:22 PM »
Some examples of what  U find when U search vegetarian MREs on eBay. April 2016

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
meta: the 'vegetarian/vegan experiment'...
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 03:58:45 AM »
Check out this vid; yeah, the presenter is irritating but Daniel Vatalis shines in his replies.

Daniel's argument is basically that there are no examples of vegan cultures in mankind's history and that this is for good reason.
Now, before anybody gets all defensive, i myself have eaten vegetarian for 15 years, 2 of which were vegan, and Daniel Vitalis ate 15 years as a vegan! before turning over a new leaf...
I can't imagine what it's like to eat vegan for 15 years, but... respect, first and foremost. Added to that resume, Daniel Vitalis makes wonderful arguments, may i add, supported by his work in promoting health and vitality...

So, now we've covered the source... [important work], let's be real...
Fact is that even in this relatively quiet, uneventful and (from a survivalist point of view) safe environment:
- even chiimpansees eat 2% 'meat' [carrion, bugs and kills [monkeys, particularly]]
- people like Freelee the Banana Girl and Durianrider have attested [online, in great detail] how difficult it is to acquire all one's calories from vegan sources
- serious research into health shows that it's all about minerals and these are not particularly prevalent in vegan foods

Okay, again, vegan at heart i am [consider myself to be], but...
We are not in Hollow Earth where plants fruit all year round and we are no longer in an interglacial... Hey; i once had a girlfriend who said she'd rather die than eat fries... I know about lunch righteousness...

As Daniel Vitalis covers so elequently, all long-lived human cultures have enjoyed the fruits of animal/vital nutrition; there are no exceptions to the rule. As such, the modern popular notion that veganism is 'natural' or even desirable is really hogwash; 'Says who?'
In a survival situation you might [should...] reconsider the routes you have chosen in reaction to the age in which you live; yeah, animal exploitation in our age is a terrible, terrible thing, but as survivalists we're no longer talking about "our age", are we...?

Exploitation, abuse and torture of innocent creatures has been the bread and butter of modern society and it's natural and healthy that there have been individuals to protest this condition. Having said that, we're no longer talking about "modern society" when we're talking about TEOTWAWKI; so why the hell are we still talking about reactions to said status quo in relation to survival?
Thankfully, abuse of animals is typical of modern society and we need no longe resort to all kinds of restrictive diets in order to counter the inhumanities of modern society after TSHTF...
Ultimately, one might add, it is something altogether different to eat a can a fish a week as opposed to having one's diet consist for at least 50% of animal proteins and fats...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 04:16:36 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: meta: the 'vegetarian/vegan experiment'...
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 03:14:18 PM »
Check out this vid; yeah, the presenter is irritating but Daniel Vatalis shines in his replies.

Daniel's argument is basically that there are no examples of vegan cultures in mankind's history and that this is for good reason.
Now, before anybody gets all defensive, i myself have eaten vegetarian for 15 years, 2 of which were vegan, and Daniel Vitalis ate 15 years as a vegan! before turning over a new leaf...
I can't imagine what it's like to eat vegan for 15 years, but... respect, first and foremost. Added to that resume, Daniel Vitalis makes wonderful arguments, may i add, supported by his work in promoting health and vitality...

So, now we've covered the source... [important work], let's be real...
Fact is that even in this relatively quiet, uneventful and (from a survivalist point of view) safe environment:
- even chiimpansees eat 2% 'meat' [carrion, bugs and kills [monkeys, particularly]]
- people like Freelee the Banana Girl and Durianrider have attested [online, in great detail] how difficult it is to acquire all one's calories from vegan sources
- serious research into health shows that it's all about minerals and these are not particularly prevalent in vegan foods

Okay, again, vegan at heart i am [consider myself to be], but...
We are not in Hollow Earth where plants fruit all year round and we are no longer in an interglacial... Hey; i once had a girlfriend who said she'd rather die than eat fries... I know about lunch righteousness...

As Daniel Vitalis covers so elequently, all long-lived human cultures have enjoyed the fruits of animal/vital nutrition; there are no exceptions to the rule. As such, the modern popular notion that veganism is 'natural' or even desirable is really hogwash; 'Says who?'
In a survival situation you might [should...] reconsider the routes you have chosen in reaction to the age in which you live; yeah, animal exploitation in our age is a terrible, terrible thing, but as survivalists we're no longer talking about "our age", are we...?

Exploitation, abuse and torture of innocent creatures has been the bread and butter of modern society and it's natural and healthy that there have been individuals to protest this condition. Having said that, we're no longer talking about "modern society" when we're talking about TEOTWAWKI; so why the hell are we still talking about reactions to said status quo in relation to survival?
Thankfully, abuse of animals is typical of modern society and we need no longe resort to all kinds of restrictive diets in order to counter the inhumanities of modern society after TSHTF...
Ultimately, one might add, it is something altogether different to eat a can a fish a week as opposed to having one's diet consist for at least 50% of animal proteins and fats...
I too was vegetarian long ago, and probably for at least 20-30 years, but was never vegan because something told me it was not healthy for humans, since we need B12 and a few other nutrients that are nearly impossible to derive from totaly vegan diets.  I still don't eat much meat, maybe once a week if you count fish.

But I do not believe we have to be abusive to animals, or torture them in order to eat them.  One friend showed me how he kills a chicken and it's NOTHING like those situations where someone places the chicken's head on a stump, then slams down on the neck with an axe.  Nor is it a cone. 

He picks up the chicken, pets her a bit, talking softly, then makes a small incision with his pocket knife, in her neck in the appropriate location, then sets her down, and watches her walk around and waits for her to start to get dizzy and pass out.  He does remove her from the other chickens, but with his method, there is no frantic, squawking or blood spurting everywhere, nor panic. 

I do still feel guilty when eating fish or any other animal flesh, no matter how rarely it happens.  And I'm sure in a "collapse" type situation, I'd still feel guilty, but when you're hungry you tend to look for what you need. 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 11:03:04 PM »
Socrates, ilinda you have shared a lot of useful info here about diet, still reading it all. :)