Author Topic: What about our pets?  (Read 1669 times)

mjoy

• Members
What about our pets?
« on: August 28, 2010, 01:12:01 AM »
Hi,everyone!
How many of us have pets?  I have two dogs, and three cats.  Do we all remember those poor animals having been abandoned out of necessity when hurrcaine Katrina destroyed New Orleans?  It was horrible and heart-breaking.
I am wondering, what is going to happen to all the domestic animals that manage to survive?  We will have roaming packs of dogs, who will be savage out of need!  And the thought of all these animals, maybe drowning, as they are in Pakistan, right now, well, it bothers me to the extreme.  Besides having a gun to protect oneself, does anyone have ideas as to what might be done to assist these animals who have been dependent on us, and who may not have any owners to care for them, or any food to feed them.  This is potentially very threatening.
Bye for now,
Mary

noproblemo2

Re: What about our pets?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 07:48:30 AM »
Mjoy, you have made a very valid point here. As for me I have 4 cats nd an epileptic dog. Cats will all remain inside and use their litter boxes as long as possible. My dog has been trained to use piddle pads inside other than these ideas would like to here more ideas as well.

_cj_

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 08:38:34 AM »
hi mary good question

my two dogs are just as much of our family as my wife and baby daughter - i we bug out, they come - if we stay, they stay.

regards,

alex

Lori

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 08:47:01 AM »
I've got 3 Yorkies, a kitty Cat and a water turtle.  I would not leave them either.  Thankfully they are small enough to fit in our car.  The turtle, we would have to put in shoe box with some lettuce and she would be OK.  We would have to leave her aquarium.    ;D

noproblemo2

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 09:22:16 AM »
Here is a link for washable piddle pads for those interested.
http://www.ezwhelp.com/BuyNewWhelpingPads.htm

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 11:12:31 PM »
Hi,everyone!
How many of us have pets?  I have two dogs, and three cats.  Do we all remember those poor animals having been abandoned out of necessity when hurrcaine Katrina destroyed New Orleans?  It was horrible and heart-breaking.
I am wondering, what is going to happen to all the domestic animals that manage to survive?  We will have roaming packs of dogs, who will be savage out of need!  And the thought of all these animals, maybe drowning, as they are in Pakistan, right now, well, it bothers me to the extreme.  Besides having a gun to protect oneself, does anyone have ideas as to what might be done to assist these animals who have been dependent on us, and who may not have any owners to care for them, or any food to feed them.  This is potentially very threatening.
Bye for now,
Mary

Mjoy and All,
I feel the majority of Members here have pets.  Most of us will choose to bring them along on the journey ahead.

I suppose it wouldn't make to much sense to keep a pet in 2012- if he was terminally ill, or just very old. If a group were huddled together in a survival shelter, with alternative sources of power = grid has gone down - and not much contact with the outside world, as they ride out the worst of the Planet X Crossover, it's not likely there wil be any way to get veterinarian care for their old pets.
Everyone has a right of course to their own decision...
I read an article or a blog post about one incident that happened in New Orleans. FEMA workers, or some aid group were going through the area a few days after Katrina. They opened up a room and were shocked to see dead dogs all along the edges of  the room, still tethered by their leashes to the wall.  The story is, the owners were persuaded, ordered or coerced to evacuate on busses. They were not told where they were going. They had pets which they were not allowed to go in the evacuation transportation. Beside each dead dog were hand scrawled notes, Please contact me at, Name Phone etc. Dogs name is, Each animal had a dollar and leash and the leashes were attached to the wall but long enough so they could go lay down and go to sleep. Each pet had a bowl of water and food. Obviously the people didn't want to be separated from their pets, but were told this is what you need to do.  With the amount of food and water there they could have stayed alive for weeks - and the leashes were long enough they could lie down. OK here is the last part , not so easy to tell:
All The dogs were still leashed up to the wall behind them. Someone (probably military, acting on orders had mowed the pets down with a machine gun. Shot them all.

Recently there has been reform legislation introduced in the House, allowing people to bring the pets with them on the bus or whatever.  Yowbarb

Note this story probably doesn't fit in with the general tone of thie Topic. Mjoy, I hope you didn't mind...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:53:04 AM by Yowbarb »

mjoy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 01:08:13 AM »
Hi, all,
 Thank you for you feedback and ideas-piddle pads are great, if one must keep the pet inside.  I have even heard of being able to teach one's cat to use the toilet (http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-toilet.htm), but my English Bulldog is dumb as dirt (but such a darling, loving creature) and it's useless to try to teach him how to use a toilet.  He loves the kitty litter, though, but not to pee in, but to,gulp, snack on what the cats leave behind. Needless to say, I am not kissing his lips!!!!!!But my Bulldog is only 4 months, and I gave my Golden Retriever/Flat-Coated Retriever mix the task of teaching the Bulldog certain skills, but I have to say, the Golden Retriever is really way too permissive, and so I am going to go to dog-training with the brat.  Bulldogs CAN learn, it just takes a zillion times longer than a G.Retriever.  Here is one Bulldog who is rather trainable: Training a Stubborn English Bulldog Pup
And please check this out, a FAT Bulldog Skateboarding!!!!!(mine would be fat, 'cause he is piggy eater, but I won't let him!):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQzUsTFqtW0&translated=1
So, we need to stock-pile supplies for our pets, if we are all forced to go to underground shelters, and include water for their needs.  And I am very glad to say, one can give pets MMS, too, (http://www.miraclemineral.org/; http://jimhumble.biz/)although for a pet I would get empty capsules, and drop the dosage into the capsules (MMS is liquid), and pop that into the animal's mouth.  Dogs are easier than cats, to give meds to, and a cat will NOT like it, so do yourself a favor and learn to "wrap-a-cat" to give it meds: Common Cat Medical Problems : Restraining Cats for Medication  If one gets bit by a cat, those scratches and bites can become very, very infected.  My friend almost died of blood-poisoning when her cat "playfully" scratched her.  The scratch was on her arm, and she did not at first notice, until she had a fever, that there was a line going up her arm.  Yikes!  She went to the hospital, and while the ER made her do the "eternal wait", that we all know goes on in the ER, she went into shock, and the B/P went way down, and those ER folks had to work hard to get my friend back to the living.  So, watch any wounds that cats make.  My friend told me later, that she did wash the wound, and put some sort of disinfection on it.  So be careful with our furry feline friends.  That is another reason to have MMS.  MMS is really quite afordable so I am stocking up on it.  Using MMS,one can disinfect nasty water, too.
Bye for now,
Mary

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 05:53:52 AM »
Thanks, all for the piddle pad idea, I need them for my old Fat Boy cat...bless him,
Yowbarb

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 04:34:14 PM »
Hopefully this won't be too off topic, but I have been trying to research my issue without any real results.  Here it is:  I think my friend is way too attached to her dog.  I mean in an unhealthy way.  For instance, she's never trained him to go outside for the bathroom because she doesn't want him to get his feet wet.  If he's out of the room, even for a minute or two, she calls for him to come back.  She wants to cremate him when he dies and be buried with him when she dies.  She hand feeds him.  She will share her food with him using her own fork even.  If you are talking with her, as soon as he walks in the room, you take a second seat to him.  You can't say anything bad about him (even though he's probably the worst behaved dog I've known).

Maybe this is normal for some people, but I think it's really odd.  What are your thoughts and what should I do about it?  I have told her this is abnormal, but she thinks it's ok because it's her first dog.  He's 12 so it's not like he's still a puppy or anything.  I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions.  Thanks.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 05:36:03 PM »
Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it if you value this person's friendship.  Is it a bit excessive?  In my opinion yes, and I am a devoted dog owner who loves my dog and to me he is like my child.  But I expect my dog to behave, to potty outside, I do not feed him off my plate, and he does not get people food other than on really rare occasions.  But he sleeps with me and always has.  Is he spoiled?  Yes, somewhat but I do not tolerate disobedience or for him to bother other people who may not like dogs as much as I do.

I guess what it boils down to is that it is her life, her dog, and she is entitled to live the way she wants to.  I do not think anyone should interfere.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 05:59:40 AM »
Hopefully this won't be too off topic, but I have been trying to research my issue without any real results.  Here it is:  I think my friend is way too attached to her dog.  I mean in an unhealthy way.  For instance, she's never trained him to go outside for the bathroom because she doesn't want him to get his feet wet.  If he's out of the room, even for a minute or two, she calls for him to come back.  She wants to cremate him when he dies and be buried with him when she dies.  She hand feeds him.  She will share her food with him using her own fork even.  If you are talking with her, as soon as he walks in the room, you take a second seat to him.  You can't say anything bad about him (even though he's probably the worst behaved dog I've known).

Maybe this is normal for some people, but I think it's really odd.  What are your thoughts and what should I do about it?  I have told her this is abnormal, but she thinks it's ok because it's her first dog.  He's 12 so it's not like he's still a puppy or anything.  I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions.  Thanks.

She will learn the hard way that what she is doing is not "healthy" for either him or her.  Sure, he is really pampered and wants for nothing.  But in the coming changes, what if she is unable to be able to feed a carnivore pet if there is no refrigeration and she has run out of dog food?

Further, at age 12, he is in the geriatric stage of doggie life and won't live forever.  She will have to deal with his loss eventually, and I'm betting it will be more devastating than anything she has ever experienced due to her abnormally "devoted" relationship to him.

But it IS her choice.  She will learn, as all of us do.  That is why we are here on this Earth plane--to learn.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 06:25:03 AM »
I know whenever he dies she will be completely devastated.  That's what I am really worried about.  I have thought a lot about what I should do to help her, but I'm afraid it may get to the point she'll need professional help.  I've even started to look for a pet grieving group in case I'll need to contact them in the future.