Author Topic: Bartering List For Aftertimes  (Read 14646 times)

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Bartering List For Aftertimes
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2014, 07:22:06 AM »
Lye is sold in the laundry and cleaning sections (not every store.)  However, you can make your own lye for soap by pouring hot water through wood ashes and straining the residue. I'm sure you could get a recipe on the Internet. Basically it's lard, lye and scent. Glycerine instead of lard makes a lighter soap, and if you're into natural sources, the root of the yucca plant makes great body wash and shampoo (fray it out and use like a shaving brush.)

I knew about the wood ashes thing.  I've never tried it because I don't have a wood burning fireplace. 

Thanks P for the links.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2014, 12:57:19 AM »
I agree soap is a good barter item, even if it is not homemade - any kind.
Hygiene kits would be good.
I think a really handy item which would be worth something in barter would be a campground - style
cleanup kit.

Campground plastic basin for face and hand washing. Put these items in it:
•   plastic cup with toothbrush and toothpaste.
•   a couple of facecloths
•   campground mirror and a string on it and a nail attached for hanging up.
•   Small towel
•   Small packet detergent
•   short line with clothespins
•   Foldable pallet to stand on when cleaning up...
•   Baby unscented wipes
•   Pack it all up in a transparent plastic bag

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2014, 07:59:46 AM »
I think bolts of fabric would be a good item too.  People are going to have to have clothes!  I've even thought of using sheets and blankets to make clothes if there are no bolts of fabric anymore.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2014, 02:30:19 PM »
I did a lot of sewing with 3 girls and I have often thought about how important sewing will be afterwards.  Treadle sewing machines will be worth a lot, and it is really a shame how few women know how to sew anymore, or crochet or knit.  These are lost skills along with canning and growing herbs and other stuff.

The Foxfire series would be a great addition to a library for reference aftertimes.  Also Carla Emory's books.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »
I did a lot of sewing with 3 girls and I have often thought about how important sewing will be afterwards.  Treadle sewing machines will be worth a lot, and it is really a shame how few women know how to sew anymore, or crochet or knit.  These are lost skills along with canning and growing herbs and other stuff.

The Foxfire series would be a great addition to a library for reference aftertimes.  Also Carla Emory's books.

Great ideas, especially the treadle sewing machine...
We all need to at least have an instruction manual on how to learn these skills.
Did you learn a lot from your Mother?