Author Topic: Games for Aftertimes  (Read 2546 times)

noproblemo2

Games for Aftertimes
« on: November 15, 2010, 07:22:20 AM »
Seems we will need some form of distraction from what lies ahead, let's compile a list of games/entertainment things to add to our lists. Do a cope/paste and as we add to them I will put them in Alphabetical Order..
Cards - Playing
Board Games
Backgammon
Bingo
Checkers
Chess
Chinese checkers
Dominoes
Monopoly
Pick-up-sticks
Bingo
Outside games for later:Croquette
Baseballs & Bats
Basketballs
Footballs
Lawn Bowling
Books
BIBLES
Childrens
Geography
History
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 04:04:20 PM by BajaSusan »

Lori

Re: Games for Aftertimes
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 11:17:06 AM »
Books lots o books.  On Knowledge and even romance  :P

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »
Games: (from my memory as a child on the ranch)
Chinese checkers
Dominoes
Pick-up-sticks

noproblemo2

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 04:00:24 PM »
I used to love chinese checkers note to myself, go get one, Thanks for the old memory from my childhood.

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 05:29:27 PM »
not sure if those geography books will domuch good in the time after susan... don't forget the basic sciences, and herbal lore, and at various grading levels ie simple to complex. I knew one place where they had an amasing library, for the couple who founded the site, not a single work was of novice level so teaching and introducing importain topics would have been doomed to oral... and we all know how that leads to a decay of the education process over a few generations, I mean 1/3 of america can't read or write english at a grade 5 level so a university grade library won't cut it.

I strongly suggest keeping a few back up computers same generation in your Faraday cage with all the digital information you'll want for educating a new generation.

as for games keep chess in the mix it's not the oldest game for naught! and if going outdoors think games that teach survival skills hide and seek, capture the flag, theses teach the youngest members of your tribe the local landscape enhancing there chances of survival if required. I kept a box of 2 titanium bodied sling shots from Canadian tire the ones with the folding arm brace, target will also be fun for both genders, and any age thats not arthritic. far cheaper on ammo then a bow or gun and kid friendly  (if really skilled even able to be used to hunt small game with.

Javelin and shot put are also good one for strength building the other for skill with a little used weapon of note the spear. and if your community is big enough and were lucky enough to keep the sun , theirs always grow competitions, encouraging the locals to share skills and breeds, encouraging more growth for a hopefully rising number of citizens.

wifes game pics: "What time is it mr wolf" Jr kids... Spin the bottle (any age after 12) and soccer (foot ball for u euro-s)

most of the Books books i kept though are of a fiction/ history base, as everyone likes a good story by the fire with a full belly and i'm sure as in the times b4 radio it will be such again ;D

love to hear some other ideas this could be an interesting thread  ;)
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

noproblemo2

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 05:47:53 PM »
GREAT suggestions you've added !!!!
I went with the geography so the younger ones can be told about how things once were as it will be a part of their heritage, and they should know that I think.

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 05:59:05 PM »
an who knows maybe it will be one of those books that survives to act as proof of humans knowing of the other lands before there rediscovered if time forgets... like the antique maps of Antarctica.
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

augonit

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 03:39:29 PM »
We will certainly need books.  Most certainly the Bible!  I think books on gardening and survival skills, identifying edible plants, etc. should also be in your bookcase.  Also puzzle books would be a nice diversion, particularly if you don't have a family and you are by yourself.

noproblemo2

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 03:50:11 PM »
I get a lot of the variety puzzle books, what one doesn't like another may and there are loads of puzzles in them, also don't forget pens, pencils and crayons with coloring books for the kids

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 04:06:19 PM »
Augonit and BajaSusan,
I feel these items will save the sanity of a lot of people. I'm all for puzzles art supplies books and games..

I know my dad was able to play crossword puzzles on into his last years. Even when he started showing Alzheimer's symptoms (and needed Aricept for it) he sat and worked his puzzles. I am convinced it helped him. He was very literate with a big vocabulary... so he could solve most of them..
He had a few signs of it back years earlier but managed everything and kept most of his marbles to the end nearly made it to 87.

Helps keep ya sharp.

augonit

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 04:33:34 PM »
I also like crosswords, but I am always at a disadvantage when the clues are about so called "celebrities".  I don't waste my time trying to keep up with all the flashes in the pan of Hollywood!

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 10:50:26 PM »
Sooo cerebral...
Games are about FUN! They're about losin' it...

I went for the classics:
- Risk
- (Game of) Life
- Stratego
- Battleship
- Backgammon
- Monopoly [whatever version]
- cards
- dominos
- chess [nice pieces don't hurt]
etc.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 11:22:22 PM »
Sooo cerebral...
Games are about FUN! They're about losin' it...

I went for the classics:
- Risk
- (Game of) Life
- Stratego
- Battleship
- Backgammon
- Monopoly [whatever version]
- cards
- dominos
- chess [nice pieces don't hurt]
etc.

Yes, games are really so necessary! :)